Author Topic: Report: Multiple teams willing to give Mavericks’ Nerlens Noel a Max Contrat  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sounds stuff an agent leaked to raise his value, to me.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This is the guy I really wanted Danny to go after at the trade deadline but if he really is going to get a max offer from somebody I have to admit I'm glad he wasn't traded for. As much as I like him and think he would've helped the Celtics, I don't want max money tied up in Noel for the next 4-5 years.
Me too.  He would have been a great upgrade in the frontcourt in these playoffs.

Certainly he doesn't seem worth the max, but likewise I think $10-12M is too low an offer.  He seems to be in that $12-15M range, much like Olynyk, but you cant have both on the team and tie up $30M in "ok" players.  You have to save money for the big fish.

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
seriously doubt he's getting a max deal.

Likely another agent just putting out crap/buzz.

I think this is agent buzz too. Multiple teams being the giveaway. Only a handful of teams even have the space for him.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
This is the guy I really wanted Danny to go after at the trade deadline but if he really is going to get a max offer from somebody I have to admit I'm glad he wasn't traded for. As much as I like him and think he would've helped the Celtics, I don't want max money tied up in Noel for the next 4-5 years.
Me too.  He would have been a great upgrade in the frontcourt in these playoffs.

Certainly he doesn't seem worth the max, but likewise I think $10-12M is too low an offer.  He seems to be in that $12-15M range, much like Olynyk, but you cant have both on the team and tie up $30M in "ok" players.  You have to save money for the big fish.

I would've liked Noel to give him a test drive to see if we wanted to give him an offer.

I think that 3 things were against him getting traded for by us.

1. Didn't fit CBS' system, so he nixed it (either implicitly or explicitly).

2. Philly did NOT want to trade him to us (conference long-time foe). I say this because basically they got a cripple for him whom they released immediately to the Caves and an underachiever. We easily could've topped that offer, but I'll bet our price was much higher than Dallas'.

3. DA and CBS know Hayward is coming here so Rozier, or picks or any asset we would have to give up would be only for a rental, and they didn't want to disrupt our "chemistry" for a rental.

I wish we got him.

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Considering that few in the league realize the biggest problem with the Clippers is DeAndre Jordan, I'm not surprised a bunch would go all in on Noel.  He's could be pretty good..but good enough to be paid like he's one of the two or three most important players on a contending roster?

Mike

Still waiting for Mike to explain how a top 5 center is the biggest problem on a team with no bench.

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Considering that few in the league realize the biggest problem with the Clippers is DeAndre Jordan, I'm not surprised a bunch would go all in on Noel.  He's could be pretty good..but good enough to be paid like he's one of the two or three most important players on a contending roster?

Mike

Still waiting for Mike to explain how a top 5 center is the biggest problem on a team with no bench.

I think Mike is alluding to the fact that Jordan is limited offensively and can't hit free throws yet is paid a max money that should have been used to strengthen their bench, but I really think the main problem for the Clippers has been the management of their picks since becoming a contender.