Author Topic: Report: Multiple teams willing to give Mavericks’ Nerlens Noel a Max Contrat  (Read 4080 times)

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/05/30/report-multiple-nba-teams-willing-to-give-mavericks-nerlens-noel-a-max-contract/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Mike Fisher of DallasBasketball.com:
A source from another NBA team (not the Mavs) tells me that there will be “multiple” clubs willing to pay Noel his max once he hits the restricted-free-agent market on July 1.

I don't see us as the team that will tie up our cap in the 7 day restricted free agency match period but it's interesting to see that there might be a real bidding war for Noel this offseason. FWIW I'd still love to see how difficult it would be to score on a Noel/Horford frontcourt.

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Complete JOKE of a league...a Max for this Turd--?
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Glad to hear it. Noel is a bloody good basketball player.

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
I REALLY don't get the love for this guy.

Yeah I get it, he's a career 10/8 player and is a pretty good center in the league.

BUT so many times he'll give you 13 points, 8 rebounds one night, but the next night he'll give you like 2 points and 3 rebounds.

He's also not someone who can "neutralize" the likes of Thompson or Lopez. In fact on many occasions on defense, he gets beat by them.

And this guy is worth a max contract? PASS.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Considering that few in the league realize the biggest problem with the Clippers is DeAndre Jordan, I'm not surprised a bunch would go all in on Noel.  He's could be pretty good..but good enough to be paid like he's one of the two or three most important players on a contending roster?

Mike

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Since he is a Restricted free agent, teams bidding will have to overpay to try to get him. Then those teams will be tied up waiting to see if Dallas will match it. I believe he is worth upwards of $12M per year, but Cuban will match that offer. It would have been interesting to see what he is worth if he was an unrestricted free agent.

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Yeah I get it, he's a career 10/8 player and is a pretty good center in the league.

BUT so many times he'll give you 13 points, 8 rebounds one night, but the next night he'll give you like 2 points and 3 rebounds.

He's also not someone who can "neutralize" the likes of Thompson or Lopez. In fact on many occasions on defense, he gets beat by them.

And this guy is worth a max contract?

Positional scarcity Phantom, Nerlens Noels don't just grow on trees!

Defensive versatility is arguably the most valuable skill you can look for at the 5 spot and he's nearly perfectly suited for it. It's really difficult to put a price on a guy like Noel since you can count on 1 hand Starting 5's that can defend the post and pick and roll effectively without killing you on offense.

Ya he'll get beat by his man from time to time but he's disruptive off ball and one of the only players in the league capable of averaging 2 Steals/2 Blocks over a season. His block rate dipped in Dallas but I bet if you got him engaged in a real grind it out defensive scheme he'd be back to becoming one of the league's premier defenders. Always thought Portland would have been a great fit myself.

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29

And this guy is worth a max contract? PASS.
Dude's pretty young and he can defend. I think it's unfair to say he's a "career 10/8 player" as if he's never going to improve at anything.

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Considering that few in the league realize the biggest problem with the Clippers is DeAndre Jordan, I'm not surprised a bunch would go all in on Noel.  He's could be pretty good..but good enough to be paid like he's one of the two or three most important players on a contending roster?

Mike

Dumbest thing I've ever read. The Clippers problem is a lack of wings/depth.

I'd love to hear you explain this one though, it'd be an epic hot take.

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

Mike

I'm going to keep bumping this until Mike puts his money where his mouth is.

Because he drops this in threads and then runs and hides every time he gets called on it.

Why is Jordan the problem for the Clips?

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Mike

the clippers had no answer in the playoffs when the opposition played hack-a-Jordan.

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

Mike

the clippers had no answer in the playoffs when the opposition played hack-a-Jordan.

You mean aside from the fact that you can't hack-a anybody, it completely eliminates transition opportunities and gave s team with 5 (maybe) playoff caliber rotation players a break?

Please point me to the series they lost because of hack-a-DeAnsre....

Next.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Noel seems so freaking fragile for a young guy.  His knees are always sore even though his surgery was now years ago.  He had another "clean up" surgery last year.  I'd be scared as hell to pay this guy big money.  Plus he doesn't seem to be improving all that rapidly skill wise.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
seriously doubt he's getting a max deal.

Likely another agent just putting out crap/buzz.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
This is the guy I really wanted Danny to go after at the trade deadline but if he really is going to get a max offer from somebody I have to admit I'm glad he wasn't traded for. As much as I like him and think he would've helped the Celtics, I don't want max money tied up in Noel for the next 4-5 years.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008