Author Topic: Isaiah and Markelle: from their college coach's perspective as ballers and good  (Read 1414 times)

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Found an interesting article of IT and Fultz's compatibility and commonalities on and off the court through the lens of their college coach, Lorenzo Romar.

Lots of good stuff in the article about both being late bloomers and having to work for it and consequently not acting entitled, about their ability to play both on and off the ball, making them compatible with each other and the rest of our talented guard corps and a lot of other interesting tidbits of info.

This was especially good to hear:

What about how they handle themselves away from the court?

LR: The thing about both of those guys is neither one of those guys, early on, were projected NBA players. Neither one. It came later for both of them, and for Isaiah, much later. So they have kind of an innate chip on their shoulder, they’re so driven I think because of it. They haven’t been given everything their whole life, on the basketball for sure. They haven’t been given anything. They had to earn everything. So neither one has a sense of entitlement, which makes them great with teammates and for any program or franchise. They don’t have that sense of entitlement. They’re both giving people. You don’t find that very often nowadays.

I’ll share a story about both guys:

The first month of school that Isaiah was with us as a freshman in college we went to a gospel mission to feed the homeless, serve lunch. And Isaiah and I were talking, and I said, “You done this sort of thing before?” And he said, “Coach, my dad took us every week to do this sort of thing since I was very young.” I thought that was interesting.

When Markelle was here, we had the team over for dinner early in his freshman year. My wife was preparing dinner and guys were playing ping pong or pool or watching television. Markelle was not around. I went upstairs and he was helping my wife set the table for the dinner. She didn’t ask him to do that. He sat a few practices because he had a little a nagging injury and during that week he’d get water and bring it to guys on the sideline.

Those sorts of things make those guys special to me, not just their talent.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/05/29/markelle-fultz-and-isaiah-thomas-had-the-same-coach-he-knows-they-can-be-great-together

Hope for the future.

I recommend the read, and apologize if this has been posted already.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:04:38 PM by csfansince60s »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Fultz will be our PG of the future.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Found an interesting article of IT and Fultz's compatibility and commonalities on and off the court through the lens of their college coach, Lorenzo Romar.

Lots of good stuff in the article about both being late bloomers and having to work for it and consequently not acting entitled, about their ability to play both on and off the ball, making them compatible with each other and the rest of our talented guard corps and a lot of other interesting tidbits of info.

This was especially good to hear:

What about how they handle themselves away from the court?

LR: The thing about both of those guys is neither one of those guys, early on, were projected NBA players. Neither one. It came later for both of them, and for Isaiah, much later. So they have kind of an innate chip on their shoulder, they’re so driven I think because of it. They haven’t been given everything their whole life, on the basketball for sure. They haven’t been given anything. They had to earn everything. So neither one has a sense of entitlement, which makes them great with teammates and for any program or franchise. They don’t have that sense of entitlement. They’re both giving people. You don’t find that very often nowadays.

I’ll share a story about both guys:

The first month of school that Isaiah was with us as a freshman in college we went to a gospel mission to feed the homeless, serve lunch. And Isaiah and I were talking, and I said, “You done this sort of thing before?” And he said, “Coach, my dad took us every week to do this sort of thing since I was very young.” I thought that was interesting.

When Markelle was here, we had the team over for dinner early in his freshman year. My wife was preparing dinner and guys were playing ping pong or pool or watching television. Markelle was not around. I went upstairs and he was helping my wife set the table for the dinner. She didn’t ask him to do that. He sat a few practices because he had a little a nagging injury and during that week he’d get water and bring it to guys on the sideline.

Those sorts of things make those guys special to me, not just their talent.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/05/29/markelle-fultz-and-isaiah-thomas-had-the-same-coach-he-knows-they-can-be-great-together

Hope for the future.

I recommend the read, and apologize if this has been posted already.

Markelle Fultz - The Waterboy ;) ;D.

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
TP that was awesome
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Great read! I hope DA hangs on to him. The Zeke-Dumars comparison was interesting too
- LilRip

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
TP to the OP

The story of Fultz getting water for his teammates has me almost in tears at work. Maybe I'm just tired.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
good link
LET'S GO CELTICS!

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Thanks 60's, TP, that was a great anecdote about both those guys.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"Complete guard". I like this term.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
"Complete guard". I like this term.
I think it's a pretty funny use of it.

Not sure how they both can be complete guards if neither plays much defense (I know he meant they were offensively complete in that they can score on and off the ball.)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19