Author Topic: Did Isaiah Thomas say he probably played his last game in Boston  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZwp63n9JoM

0:09

I don't know if he is joking or not
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Re: Did Isaiah Thomas say he probably played his last game in Boston
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 06:24:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Joking.

He has to be sick of the media and everyone saying it too. I mean, when the C's beat the trashy Magic by like 30 without him, ALL the pundits and Celticsblog gurus said Isaiah is overrated and this team can win without him.  ::)

Our defense overall is much better without Isaiah, I mean we only gave up 135 to the Cavs in Game 5.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 06:52:43 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
Joke or not, seems like a pretty dumb thing to say to the media. Of course it's going to be taken out of context or blown up into something it's not.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 07:32:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Joke or not, seems like a pretty dumb thing to say to the media. Of course it's going to be taken out of context or blown up into something it's not.

Maybe by a subset of folks with an agenda.

The guy laughed at it, called the idea stupid, said he loved Boston, and reiterated that he wants to be here long term.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 07:35:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZwp63n9JoM

0:09

I don't know if he is joking or not

Seriously? You saw that and thought he might be serious?

What cues did you get from that interview suggesting he doesn't expect to be here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 08:05:26 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

He literally said "Boston has changed my career, changed my life" He also said I've been done said that I want to stay here.

He doesn't want to leave.

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 12:53:33 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
He clearly loves the city and we love him. What's actually interesting is his line about understanding it's a business. He knows it's not a foregone conclusion he'll be here long term but he seems to want it. What will be interesting is if he is presented with the opportunity to give a 'hometown' discount so we have a better chance to compete. He absolutely doesn't have to but I think he might end up doing that to help the team

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 01:22:01 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
He clearly loves the city and we love him. What's actually interesting is his line about understanding it's a business. He knows it's not a foregone conclusion he'll be here long term but he seems to want it. What will be interesting is if he is presented with the opportunity to give a 'hometown' discount so we have a better chance to compete. He absolutely doesn't have to but I think he might end up doing that to help the team

He certainly could (take money out of his pocket in order to stay with the team).   But he shouldn't have to.

Conversely, Wyc and the other owners should be willing to take money out of THEIR pockets (luxury tax) to make sure to keep him on the team.   

The $$ value of Thomas' production the last couple of years has been insane.  WAY over what they have paid him.

It is important to note that for IT to take a 'discount' for the Celtics doesn't technically help with the roster.  It won't open up any cap room (because we will be over the cap).  It doesn't enable access to any new free agents and it doesn't change what we are allowed to do in re-signing our own players.

IT taking a discount would only serve to help save the owners money.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 02:07:13 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557

right. a hometown discount would speak volumes. Fultz, brown at guard. hayward at SF, bring in IT off bench. man what a 6th man he would be....not sure if that would fly......maybe a few years down teh road....but will we keep him that long as he will command some big money. DA has some tough choices to make.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 04:33:30 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

He certainly could (take money out of his pocket in order to stay with the team).   But he shouldn't have to.

Conversely, Wyc and the other owners should be willing to take money out of THEIR pockets (luxury tax) to make sure to keep him on the team.   

The $$ value of Thomas' production the last couple of years has been insane.  WAY over what they have paid him.

It is important to note that for IT to take a 'discount' for the Celtics doesn't technically help with the roster.  It won't open up any cap room (because we will be over the cap).  It doesn't enable access to any new free agents and it doesn't change what we are allowed to do in re-signing our own players.

IT taking a discount would only serve to help save the owners money.
Yes all it would do is save dollars. And you're right the owners should be willing to dip into the luxury tax. But if it gets to the situation where it might help us keep one more player, say Smart, and be right on the edge of what is affordable then he may do it.

I have no expectation of him in that regard though , he deserves whatever he wants to be paid