Author Topic: What is Zicic's floor and ceiling?  (Read 20756 times)

Re: What is Zicic's floor and ceiling?
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2017, 12:12:56 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Zizic and all those other stashed kids will most likely never play a minute for the Celtics. I know we all like to hype up these kids, but let's face the facts - They just aren't that good. And they never will be.
lol those are not the facts.

I garuntee you Zizic plays for the Celtics this year.
If Zizic plays for the C's then we're back in the lottery.

That's an utterly idiotic statement. So, if Zizic takes Zeller's place we're back in the lottery?

Are you on crack?

Zizic is hyped for a reason, just because you didn't know who he was when he was drafted doesn't make him a bad player.  Also, I think they wanted him to play right away but there were issues with his buy out.   David Blatt's team ended up paying 1.5 million to get him to come to Turkey for half a season.   

Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress had this to say about Zizic:

"There is undoubtedly a place in the NBA for someone with the rebounding ability and motor he displays as an energetic role-player, and it is certainly difficult to rule out a player who has been as productive as Zizic has this year, in a league that has produced countless NBA players (around 50 NBA Draft picks have been through the Adriatic League according to our database). After all, Zizic (so far) ranks #2 in PER in Adriatic League history among players under the age of 20 (see chart)."

http://content.draftexpress.com/gallery/General/1453927250.jpg

That was from before the 2016 draft.  The article was on Jan 27, 2016, here it is if you want to see the whole thing:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Draft-Prospect-of-the-Week-Ante-Zizic-5354/

So, as good as he was as a pro at 17, he was a better pro at 18 and the second best all time in the Adriatic league.  Zizic has without a doubt played better this year then he did the year before the draft.  Because of his outstanding play and his impending departure for the NBA, he was sold to a Euro league team just before he turned 20, where he was able to play very good against a much higher level of competition. 

http://www.eurohoops.net/en/euroleague/401373/euroleague-rising-star-ante-zizic-darussafaka-dogus/

"You won’t see the name Ante Zizic on any leader boards, but that’s because the Darussafaka Dogus Istanbul center only joined his team in December and debuted in Round 15. However, if his averages were included, Zizic would lead the league in offensive rebounds (3.3 per game), rank third overall in rebounding (7.6 rpg.), fourth in shooting percentage (67.3%) and seventh in blocks (1 bpg.). Moreover, since the 20 year-old cracked the starting lineup, he has averaged 12.8 points and 9 rebounds per game. His 18-rebound effort in Round 19 at Anadolu Efes Istanbul was the most in the league by any player this season"

The quote is from: http://www.euroleague.net/final-four/istanbul-2017/news/i/7mp7fehgic9pgtkb/awards-watch-rising-star-trophy-candidates

Here's an update on Zizic from January 9, 2017 a year after the fist link I posted.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2017/1/9/14216426/boston-celtics-ante-zizic-yabusele-abdel-nader-draft-stash

Scout’s Take: “Zizic is developing more rapidly than anyone expected. We thought he would be a 2 year project at least, but he’s probably ready to play now. He’s a plus rebounder who understands angles and uses his body well. His defense still needs work, especially in pick and roll action. He still uses his length better than his feet on that end. His offense is coming along. Still no real jumper, but he’s worked on his half-hook inside. He’s tenacious going to the offensive glass too. And his hands are terrific. Boston has a player. He should be able to help as a backup right away and, assuming he can handle NBA defense, as a starter before long.”

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2017, 12:22:49 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Oh, here are my floor and ceiling thoughts.

I lost track of the purpose of the post trying to explain why Zizic doesn't suck.

Ceiling: Alonzo Mourning

Floor: Marcin Gortat

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2017, 12:23:34 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
How can anyone not be stoked about Zizic (and Yabu for that matter as well)?

Yes, there's the possibility that one or both may not develop into legit NBA big men. But almost all the evidence we have thusfar has been positive.

If you're negative about these two kids, Fultz, our other young/future assets, then you're just someone looking for a reason to be negative or unhappy.

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2017, 01:10:08 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
How can anyone not be stoked about Zizic (and Yabu for that matter as well)?

Yes, there's the possibility that one or both may not develop into legit NBA big men. But almost all the evidence we have thusfar has been positive.

If you're negative about these two kids, Fultz, our other young/future assets, then you're just someone looking for a reason to be negative or unhappy.

Good posts recently ETN. TP.

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2017, 01:19:06 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Nbadraft.net says he is the greatest rebounder possibly of his generation in Europe. Cannot wait to see him grabbing rebounds for us

NBAdraft.net also says that he may make the meanest ham and cheese croissants this side of Paris,
But until I see him grab those boards over Tristian Thompson,  or  taste those biscuits,,,its all a cookie monster without cookies.....to me.

Don't forget Fran Fraschilla's epic tale of how, as a child, Zizic had a "business" renting beach chairs on the Split beaches in Croatia, which was supposed to be a testament to Zizic's work ethic ::)? Pffft wat :P.

Plus, if he's such a great rebounder, why does he always bring the ball down?  I thought that European prospects were all supposed to be "fundamentally sound" ;). Give me a break ::).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO3DEaEPVms

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2017, 01:22:35 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I could see him being a Gortat at the very best, but I have tempered expectations.  2nd round stashes tend to not amount to much, so obviously his floor would be bench-warmer.

If he can reach that Gortat potential though, it would be yuuuuge for the Celtics
Luckily he isn't a second round stash.

Heh, I completely forgot that he was drafted in the 20's of round 1.  Still, my point remains; guys drafted outside of the lottery are pretty prone to hardly ever showing up.  I don't think it is unfair to say that his floor is to be a complete nonfactor
So what do you think about the multiple reports suggesting he'd be ~10 if he had entered the draft this year?

In this draft? :o No way.  That sounds like propaganda to me.

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2017, 01:29:04 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I could see him being a Gortat at the very best, but I have tempered expectations.  2nd round stashes tend to not amount to much, so obviously his floor would be bench-warmer.

If he can reach that Gortat potential though, it would be yuuuuge for the Celtics

Heh, I completely forgot that he was drafted in the 20's of round 1.  Still, my point remains; guys drafted outside of the lottery are pretty prone to hardly ever showing up.  I don't think it is unfair to say that his floor is to be a complete nonfactor
So what do you think about the multiple reports suggesting he'd be ~10 if he had entered the draft this year?

I did hear the same thing about Zizic. Top 10 in this draft.

Maybe top 15 but after 7 in this draft the things take a big dip. So 9 to 15 seems totally reasonable to me.

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2017, 01:30:52 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Floor- Perk
Ceiling-Adams

IMO he will be a lesser Steven Adams

Ceiling- steven Adams with a jump shot
Floor- Semih

Floor:  Greg Kite

Ceiling:  Bill Laimbeer if he develops a consistent outside shot.

Semih "Pro" Erden?  Greg Kite?  Perk?  Steven Adams?  Oh boy (sarcasm) ::)!  Someone set aside a plaque for him in Springfield RIGHT NOW (sarcasm) ::)!

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2017, 01:30:55 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Kieth smith and Kevin O'Connor have said it.

Also he was seen as a bit of a steal at #23 last year and has certainly upped his stock substantially this year
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2017, 01:32:05 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Floor- Perk
Ceiling-Adams

Floor- Semih

Semih "Pro" Erden?  Greg Kite?  Perk?  Steven Adams?  Oh boy (sarcasm) ::)!  Someone set aside a plaque for him in Springfield RIGHT NOW (sarcasm) ::)!
Steven Adams would be an absolutely delightful result for the #23 pick in the draft. I'd be ecstatic if he could give us that.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2017, 01:36:09 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I did hear the same thing about Zizic. Top 10 in this draft.

Maybe top 15 but after 7 in this draft the things take a big dip. So 9 to 15 seems totally reasonable to me.

I guess that that probably has more to do with who people see in the top 15, which, naturally, tends to vary.  Christ I wish that I had Ainge's intel on where certain guys were going, but wouldn't we all?  Sigh.

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2017, 01:38:54 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Floor- Perk
Ceiling-Adams

Floor- Semih

Steven Adams would be an absolutely delightful result for the #23 pick in the draft. I'd be ecstatic if he could give us that.

Give us what, exactly?  I've never understood the love for Steven Adams :-\.

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2017, 01:40:27 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I could see him going in the mid-teens this year which isn't bad considering this draft seems a lot deeper than last year's. Top ten seems like a stretch, but his source is only one GM after all. He also justified it by saying at least with Zizic you have more of a guarantee he won't be a bust since he's playing in a pro league with older competition. He didn't necessarily mean Zizic will be as good as the players that will be taken 9-10, just that he's a safer pick.

You know, like how Kelly Olynyk was a safer pick than Giannis.

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2017, 02:29:11 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Just realised there is a chance we have a Fultz/brown/Hayward/horford/zizic rotation next year.. :o
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2017, 02:39:21 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Ceiling: Prime Arvydas Sabonis
Floor: Steven Adams
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA