Poll

2018 Nets Pick, AB, Crowder, Rozier FOR Paul George (W/Long Term Commitment)

Yes. Makes Us Contenders, And We Still Have A Young "Rebuilding" Core To Build On.
11 (45.8%)
No. Cleveland Too Good, AND/OR 2018 Nets Pick Is Too Valuable (Untouchable)
9 (37.5%)
You're Close, But Here's A Better Deal To Do! (Comment Below)
2 (8.3%)
There's No Way This Can Work Under The Cap. (Cap Experts Please Explain)
2 (8.3%)
Doesn't Matter. He's Going To LAL, And They Can Offer A Better Deal Too.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: If He Agrees Long Term, Would You Trade 2018 BKN Pick+ For PG13?  (Read 4580 times)

Re: If He Agrees Long Term, Would You Trade 2018 BKN Pick+ For PG13?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 04:32:36 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
That 2018 pick gives us a reasonable shot at landing a transformative big man. I'd only trade it with a top 5 protection, which obviously diminishes its trade value significantly. Certainly not enough to land George.

TP. That's my way too. It may give us a dominant big for 15 years, and this chance is a MUST to be tried.

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 04:32:57 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Brooke Lopez is an UFA in 2018. If the Net's are going to get anything for him before he walks the best chance would be close to the draft. We should see how things pan out with that bc BKN w/o Lopez is a lock for another top 3 pick.

IMO people are severely sleeping on Jaylen Brown and Fultz, as far as how much they can produce for us, for next year.

What if the Celtics would do a trade for Lopez that would include Horford going to say Portland?

For Portland it would make a lot of sense. They could send Turner to Brooklyn and get rid of a bad contract. Horford likes to play PF, is a reasonable fit next to Nurkic upfront and a big upgrade to what they have. Aminu and Harkless can go back playing SF. With Lillard and McCollum going in their primes they have all reason to take this route.

They have three 1st round draft picks this year (15,20 and 26), but that's not helping short term. Brooklyn on the other hand will be very interested in obtaining multiple picks. They would take a bad contract (it's actually not insanely bad) for that.

What's in it for us? First of all, I believe Brook Lopez to be massively underrated. He flies under the radar because he's on a bad team, but to me he's at least as good as Horford. Top 10 center in the league and not a tweener like Horford. The salary of Lopez is 5 million lower, which opens opportunities on the free agent market, and his contract expires after next year.

That last thing could be important if we decide to go and trade for George and sign (hopefully) Griffin. And keep them in Boston alongside Thomas! I would consider such a scenario as right now the contract of Horford just gets in the way to add two stars to the team long term. Of course it's far from a certainty that Griffin would like to come to Boston and that Indiana is willing to make a reasonable trade (not with Fultz included).

Oh yeah, sorry. Increasing the value of the 18 Nets pick only to trade it for George doesn't make a lot of sense......

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 06:16:01 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 06:26:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't think that's enough given Indiana's asking price.
https://www.google.com/amp/nesn.com/2017/02/nba-rumors-heres-what-pacers-wanted-from-celtics-in-paul-george-trade/amp/

I'm aware that was the price but now things have changed

Bird is no longer in charge, PG13 did not make an All-NBA team, and now he's pretty much expressed he wants to go elsewhere (like Lakers).

Indiana might have to realize they better get whatever they can now before losing George for nada.

Not saying that guarantees he comes here, but his asking price certainly won't be THAT high, or Indiana have no chance of trading him for assets.

Even the Lakers aren't dumb enough to give up a kings random for him when they know they can just sign him outright after next season. They can trade a few assets and acquire George or just wait out for him another year. Indiana no longer have much leverage.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2017, 06:27:30 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
https://www.google.com/amp/nesn.com/2017/02/nba-rumors-heres-what-pacers-wanted-from-celtics-in-paul-george-trade/amp/

Probable that the asking price was Crowder/Bradley, Smart, Brown + 2017 Nets pick. But first that's an asking price and not necessarily the ultimate offer that they would need to agree upon after negotiation. And secondly, that pick has become way more valuable now that is has become the number one pick!

And also the contract of George only runs a year from now. He has indicated that he only wants to stay in Indiana if they competitive to win a title. And Indiana just suffered a first round sweep in the playoffs.

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2017, 06:41:47 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Brooke Lopez is an UFA in 2018. If the Net's are going to get anything for him before he walks the best chance would be close to the draft. We should see how things pan out with that bc BKN w/o Lopez is a lock for another top 3 pick.

IMO people are severely sleeping on Jaylen Brown and Fultz, as far as how much they can produce for us, for next year.

What if the Celtics would do a trade for Lopez that would include Horford going to say Portland?

For Portland it would make a lot of sense. They could send Turner to Brooklyn and get rid of a bad contract. Horford likes to play PF, is a reasonable fit next to Nurkic upfront and a big upgrade to what they have. Aminu and Harkless can go back playing SF. With Lillard and McCollum going in their primes they have all reason to take this route.

They have three 1st round draft picks this year (15,20 and 26), but that's not helping short term. Brooklyn on the other hand will be very interested in obtaining multiple picks. They would take a bad contract (it's actually not insanely bad) for that.

What's in it for us? First of all, I believe Brook Lopez to be massively underrated. He flies under the radar because he's on a bad team, but to me he's at least as good as Horford. Top 10 center in the league and not a tweener like Horford. The salary of Lopez is 5 million lower, which opens opportunities on the free agent market, and his contract expires after next year.

That last thing could be important if we decide to go and trade for George and sign (hopefully) Griffin. And keep them in Boston alongside Thomas! I would consider such a scenario as right now the contract of Horford just gets in the way to add two stars to the team long term. Of course it's far from a certainty that Griffin would like to come to Boston and that Indiana is willing to make a reasonable trade (not with Fultz included).

Oh yeah, sorry. Increasing the value of the 18 Nets pick only to trade it for George doesn't make a lot of sense......
If you trade Horford after one year, good luck signing max free agents.

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 06:54:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah, Horford is untouchable. Trading him sends the wrong message. Unless the C's trade IT and Horford demands out, which still does the same but makes the Celtics look a little "less guilty", but yeah...

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 07:10:14 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

Probable that the asking price was Crowder/Bradley, Smart, Brown + 2017 Nets pick. But first that's an asking price and not necessarily the ultimate offer that they would need to agree upon after negotiation. And secondly, that pick has become way more valuable now that is has become the number one pick!

And also the contract of George only runs a year from now. He has indicated that he only wants to stay in Indiana if they competitive to win a title. And Indiana just suffered a first round sweep in the playoffs.

The article says they wouldn't come down on the price which is why no trade got done. 

I think the price will still be just as high in the summer.   It may come down at the deadline, but there is a good chance it wont.   Indiana may not trade him for a low ball deal believing that they can resign him or they may rather him walk than be added to the list of teams Ainge has fleeced.   If he make the all NBA team then he'll qualify for the super max and the'll have the financial advantage.  Plus they're not that bad a team, so they probably believe that they can make some moves and will be able to entice PG13 to stay.  Teams over value their position and they end up watching their star walk:  Orlando w/Shaq; Orlando w/ Howard; LA with Howard; OKC w/ Durant; ATL w/ Horford; Cleveland w/LeBron; Miami w/ LeBron; Miami w/ Wade; I'm sure there are other I cant think of off the top of my head.

If PG13 says he'll resign with us he still doesn't have to.   He could pull a DeAndre Jordan. 

I'd prefer to call him at 12:01 7/1/18 before I call IT and Smart. 

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 07:12:33 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Yeah, Horford is untouchable. Trading him sends the wrong message. Unless the C's trade IT and Horford demands out, which still does the same but makes the Celtics look a little "less guilty", but yeah...

I gotta say that even when trading guys away, Ainge has been pretty good to them - except Ray Allen - as far as sending them to good situations and keeping them informed during discussions. He's a pro.

So it is absolutely not an absolute that trading any particular player itself affects our ability to attract free agents. It's not like these guys making millions don't know how it works. They just want to be treated respectfully and not like they're part of a cattle auction, which is how WE so often talk about them.

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2017, 08:35:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I gotta say that even when trading guys away, Ainge has been pretty good to them - except Ray Allen - as far as sending them to good situations and keeping them informed during discussions. He's a pro.

So it is absolutely not an absolute that trading any particular player itself affects our ability to attract free agents. It's not like these guys making millions don't know how it works. They just want to be treated respectfully and not like they're part of a cattle auction, which is how WE so often talk about them.

Yeah, but what I mean is, why would Hayward want to come to Boston after seeing the C's trade away Horford just a year later, or IT who averaged 29/6 last season, was an MVP candidate, and is a BIG reason the C's even made the ECF.

No way you attract a good FA to come here regardless IF that happens^^^