Poll

2018 Nets Pick, AB, Crowder, Rozier FOR Paul George (W/Long Term Commitment)

Yes. Makes Us Contenders, And We Still Have A Young "Rebuilding" Core To Build On.
11 (45.8%)
No. Cleveland Too Good, AND/OR 2018 Nets Pick Is Too Valuable (Untouchable)
9 (37.5%)
You're Close, But Here's A Better Deal To Do! (Comment Below)
2 (8.3%)
There's No Way This Can Work Under The Cap. (Cap Experts Please Explain)
2 (8.3%)
Doesn't Matter. He's Going To LAL, And They Can Offer A Better Deal Too.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: If He Agrees Long Term, Would You Trade 2018 BKN Pick+ For PG13?  (Read 4568 times)

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Lets say we draft Fultz with 2017 Nets Pick, then manage to sign Hayward.

We'd obviously have to move some more $$$ around I believe to fit in PG13, but he has made it known that he would love to play with Hayward, and I think PG13+Hayward+Fultz, ALONG with Zizic and maybe 1-2 cheap signings (using the exception(s)) could make us a legitimate contender, but still allow us to build for the future too (Fultz, Brown, Zizic, etc.).

Of course, PG13 would have to agree to a long term commitment to make it happen (Ainge won't do it otherwise).

Would you guys do it or is it not worth it with CLE still about to dominate for the next 2-3 years at the least AND because the 2018 Nets Pick could land an elite BIG MAN (like Cousins or AD)?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: If He Agrees Long Term, Would You Trade 2018 BKN Pick+ For PG13?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 01:02:54 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Correct me if I'm wrong but from the poll, it seems like we'll be fielding a team of:
IT/Smart/Hayward/George/Horford

With Fultz, Brown, Zizic, and some vet min guys off the bench.

I'm no cap expert but this doesn't seem sustainable beyond one year, primarily because of IT's looming extension. I love the team though and this is a contender, imo. I just don't see how it'll work from a salary standpoint. Now, if we were to keep AB and move IT instead, I think it's more feasible from a sustainability POV (not sure if Indy bites). Mainly because I think AB will command half of what IT will make and that could be big.

Smart/AB/Hayward/George/Horford - that's still a contender IMO and is a nasty defensive unit.
- LilRip

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 01:07:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
As hard as it is to say no to PG13, I'm not sure whether or not that team would be good enough to get past Cleveland, let alone beat GSW/SAS for a title - which is ultimately the only reason for doing it. On the other hand, if somehow Brooklyn go from pathetic to slightly less pathetic and we end up with, say, the 6th pick, I feel we'd all be pretty upset.

Another factor is whether, down the road, it is feasible to maintain that core salary wise. A cost controlled Brooklyn '18 is much better for cap flexibility than a top 5 small forward looking for a pay day at the same time IT would be.

All in all, a no from me.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 01:09:42 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
It's a great team, but it would only last a year.  Crowder, BK 18, Rozier and the Memphis pick for Porzingis sounds far fetched.  I don't know how to add that final piece.

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 01:11:54 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Look if you can get all parties to agree, you have to do it. The problem with the cap comes into play when IT wants his 30 mil in a year. And depending on Fultz' progress you might have to let IT walk. As the poster above said, it becomes unsustainable from a cap perspective to have all that money flying around. Hopefully having major contributors on rookie scales (Fultz and Brown) would help offset the potential 80-90 million we would have tied up in Hayward, Horford, and PG13 (after his extension of course.)

But the rookies could get us to the point of Horford expiring, in which case we could hope he takes less.
#JKJB

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 01:13:09 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
It's an alright plan, but the problem with this is that we still have the same gaping hold at PF.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 01:18:59 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I will do our 2018 and MEM's 1st round+AB+JC ,if they insist then maybe add TR
No more than that

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 01:57:06 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Feels like too much. A top 5 pick + a top 10 SG + a top 12 SF + good prospect in Rozier. That is one heck of a package. To give that up for a guy with an expiring deal? I doubt Indy gets anywhere near that elsewhere.

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 02:05:42 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Feels like too much. A top 5 pick + a top 10 SG + a top 12 SF + good prospect in Rozier. That is one heck of a package. To give that up for a guy with an expiring deal? I doubt Indy gets anywhere near that elsewhere.

But what if George did agree to a long term commitment here? Would you do it then?

Especially after signing Hayward (and drafting Fultz who we keep anyways).

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 02:27:42 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

But what if George did agree to a long term commitment here? Would you do it then?

Especially after signing Hayward (and drafting Fultz who we keep anyways).

No, I wouldn't. I think it's an overpay. Not convinced P.George is worth so much. I would rather keep the pick. There are a lot of interesting guys at the top of next year's draft. 

I would do the Brooklyn pick + one of Avery/Crowder + a lesser prospect than Rozier.

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 02:27:53 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
That 2018 pick gives us a reasonable shot at landing a transformative big man. I'd only trade it with a top 5 protection, which obviously diminishes its trade value significantly. Certainly not enough to land George.

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 02:40:26 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Yeah as some have pointed out this becomes unsustainable pretty quickly. Signing PG and IT to max contracts after next year would put the team up right at the luxury tax threshold just for 4 contracts. Add in the fact that the luxury tax is more severe than the previous CBA and you couldn't keep that core together. I guess you could let IT walk and let Fultz fill in his role, but will he be ready to lead a championship run after just one year. Also, to sign Hayward first you still have to move money to free up max cap space. this scenario means moving Smart, hes the only one besides Crowder/Bradley making enough to free up the space.

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 03:06:38 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
When the fan base thinks every player including role players on the roster will A) be a Celtic forever, and B) is "worth" at least $15M per, including bench guys, then no, not sustainable.

The key, as mentioned, is getting play from guys on rookie deals. Rozier is an incredible value at $2M. We almost need to keep him for that reason. We could have 3/4 of our guard rotation on rookie deals in 2018, plus Yabu and Zizic. Old Danny boy knows what he's doing.

I don't know if there is a way for PG to commit to resign without giving up money by signing an extension of his current deal. Anybody know?  We don't want to get Boozered.

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 03:24:56 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Brooke Lopez is an UFA in 2018. If the Net's are going to get anything for him before he walks the best chance would be close to the draft. We should see how things pan out with that bc BKN w/o Lopez is a lock for another top 3 pick.

IMO people are severely sleeping on Jaylen Brown and Fultz, as far as how much they can produce for us, for next year.

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 04:02:41 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
That 2018 pick gives us a reasonable shot at landing a transformative big man. I'd only trade it with a top 5 protection, which obviously diminishes its trade value significantly. Certainly not enough to land George.

Yeah, maybe a Top-2 protection would work, but definitely not if it's Top-5 protected.