Author Topic: Health and Fitness thread  (Read 32776 times)

Re: Health and Fitness thread
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2018, 04:38:04 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Is anyone using hemp oil on a daily basis?
My family has been producing it for years (cold pressed at 28C/82F, unfiltered, ECO certified)
I would like to hear some first-hand impressions/experiences.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 07:43:19 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Re: Fitness and trainning : what is your routine?
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2018, 09:09:24 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Anybody supplement with vitamin d3?  how much IU do you take per day?

2000 mg a day per my doctor...

you mean 2000IU

do you feel a difference?

I have upped my dosage to 3000IU . Feeling much better

I take 4000IU per day, but that is because of a near-fatal neurological infection many moons ago has left me with acute sensitivities to heat and excessive sunlight.  Since I reside in the Sacramento area, I maintain an underground existence, kind of like a human mole!
I also take 4000IU per day of Vitamin-D.  Nearly everyone who works in an office needs to supplement with Vitamin-D because of lack of sufficient exposure to sunlight, and because you generally can't get enough in your diet.

Speaking of supplements, I also daily take 64mg of iron since I have been slightly anemic my whole life.  I also take fish oil (1562mg of Omega-3 fatty acids) for control of HDL/LDL ratio, as well as a multi-vitamin.

« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2018, 09:30:10 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

you mean 2000IU

I take 4000IU per day, but that is because of a near-fatal neurological infection many moons ago has left me with acute sensitivities to heat and excessive sunlight.  Since I reside in the Sacramento area, I maintain an underground existence, kind of like a human mole!
I also take 4000IU per day of Vitamin-D.  Nearly everyone who works in an office needs to supplement with Vitamin-D because of lack of sufficient exposure to sunlight, and because you generally can't get enough in your diet.

Speaking of supplements, I also daily take 64mg of iron since I have been slightly anemic my whole life.  I also take fish oil (1562mg of Omega-3 fatty acids) for control of HDL/LDL ratio, as well as a multi-vitamin.
I think that is propaganda nonsense talking, selling balls like they are kidneys. If you walk toward your work each day or you just go to the supermarket and back you will be OK.
Think of it this way - do inhabitants of our planet, those that live inside the polar circle, remain healthy (regarding vitamin D, not talking about the Sun's psychological effect on the human brain) during the polar night period?

« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2018, 09:36:49 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I live in SoCal so I take zero mg a day

« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2018, 02:47:27 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

you mean 2000IU

I think that is propaganda nonsense talking, selling balls like they are kidneys. If you walk toward your work each day or you just go to the supermarket and back you will be OK.
Think of it this way - do inhabitants of our planet, those that live inside the polar circle, remain healthy (regarding vitamin D, not talking about the Sun's psychological effect on the human brain) during the polar night period?
I did have one doctor, many years ago, claim that insufficient vitamin D is not harmful.  He was the only one and it was outside his specialty.  I have gotten routine blood tests and I'm deficient in vitamin D unless I take supplements.  Now perhaps you want to argue that vitamin D is not needed for good health.  That a different issue and I bet you will have an uphill battle.

« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2018, 05:01:48 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Really great to have input from knowledgeable people here on this health and fitness!

Here is my issue:
I'll be 60 in August.  5'7" and weigh about 145.    My weight has never been an issue -- I eat as much as I want; anything I want.  I am also not an intense workout person.  I force myself into the gym 2 or 3 times a week and get through a 30-40 minute "workout" of 15 minutes mild aerobic and 15-20 minutes of push-ups, squats, sit-ups (ish), and bench press (about 90-100 lbs).  I don't care too much about what I look like, but I'd say my physique is OK.
I used to play b-ball once a week, but had hip arthritis resulting in a hip replacement in June -- so haven't played in about a year (want to return to it, but can't yet).

Blood tests showed deficiencies in B12 and D, so I use supplements.  Despite a hearty appetite and not a great diet health-wise (probably in the OK range -- maybe), my weight never changes and my cholesterol is good. Diet is high on carbs.

My issue is that for the first time in my life, my blood pressure is high.  Average around 145/80.  Always was 120/80 till about 2 years ago.  Low-dose of Amlodopine hasn't changed anything.

Any thoughts on the level of concern, or suggestions on changes I could make to reduce the BP?  Will more exercise help? If so, what exercise?   Obviously, reducing sodium intake is something I've considered (BTW, I drink no soda) -- but not sure quite how to best reduce it.  I feel like I need to eat a good amount to maintain my weight.

« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2018, 05:39:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Really great to have input from knowledgeable people here on this health and fitness!

Here is my issue:
I'll be 60 in August.  5'7" and weigh about 145.    My weight has never been an issue -- I eat as much as I want; anything I want.  I am also not an intense workout person.  I force myself into the gym 2 or 3 times a week and get through a 30-40 minute "workout" of 15 minutes mild aerobic and 15-20 minutes of push-ups, squats, sit-ups (ish), and bench press (about 90-100 lbs).  I don't care too much about what I look like, but I'd say my physique is OK.
I used to play b-ball once a week, but had hip arthritis resulting in a hip replacement in June -- so haven't played in about a year (want to return to it, but can't yet).

Blood tests showed deficiencies in B12 and D, so I use supplements.  Despite a hearty appetite and not a great diet health-wise (probably in the OK range -- maybe), my weight never changes and my cholesterol is good. Diet is high on carbs.

My issue is that for the first time in my life, my blood pressure is high.  Average around 145/80.  Always was 120/80 till about 2 years ago.  Low-dose of Amlodopine hasn't changed anything.

Any thoughts on the level of concern, or suggestions on changes I could make to reduce the BP?  Will more exercise help? If so, what exercise?   Obviously, reducing sodium intake is something I've considered (BTW, I drink no soda) -- but not sure quite how to best reduce it.  I feel like I need to eat a good amount to maintain my weight.

This may be obvious but alcohol and caffiene can really impact bp pretty dramatically. Also would you say you are pretty stressed? I have been dealing with a lot of life stress the last 6 months and bp went up quite a bit.

« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2018, 05:42:33 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

you mean 2000IU

I did have one doctor, many years ago, claim that insufficient vitamin D is not harmful.  He was the only one and it was outside his specialty.  I have gotten routine blood tests and I'm deficient in vitamin D unless I take supplements.  Now perhaps you want to argue that vitamin D is not needed for good health.  That a different issue and I bet you will have an uphill battle.
I don't claim that insufficient vitamin D is not harmful, it is vital for us humans. I would never encourage you to dismiss your doctors input too.
My take is that not all of us can absorb/generate vitamins equally well. Also I firmly believe that synthetic vitamins are much less efficient than the natural ones and it takes time (weeks/moths) for a body/enzymes to figure out the way to abstract them from the diet.

But as it is with all things in life - if it works for you, great. Who am I to tell you differently.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:51:26 PM by Androslav »

« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2018, 05:56:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Well, college and classes started up again, and now after a few days at the gym there, my upper body feels so sore  :P

But to be honest, I didn't workout as much during winter break (partially because I was busy, but also because it was so cold outside so I couldn't go out to shoot hoops or run with wind chills below 0 almost everyday), though I do have an elliptical in my house which I used for some cardio/running exercises. Usually I run across and back from the beach (I live near one in a city just south of Boston), but it was just too cold most days. But yeah, did not do as much upper body exercises/routines during the break.

Typically at the gym, I do about 30-35 minutes of running on a treadmill/elliptical (whatever is available since sometimes it can get crowded that area), and then I do about 25-30 minutes strength workouts using the machines and lifting some weights. Also spend about 5-10 minutes simply stretching. If time allows, I also jog/run 0.5-1.0 miles on an indoor track we have to "loosen up" and get some endurance as well.

BUT obviously, once assignments and exams start to pile up, going to the gym and working out won't be as "usual"  :P

Oh and I'm 5' 9" and about 160 lbs. I want to lose some weight (get it to around 150), but I'm also hoping to build some muscle along the way (my Doctor even said that at this point, it may be best to do more strength workouts since I'm at the "normal" weight for most adult males apparently, and losing too much, like 20 pounds more, would actually put me underweight...).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2018, 05:58:06 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Here is my issue:

This may be obvious but alcohol and caffiene can really impact bp pretty dramatically. Also would you say you are pretty stressed? I have been dealing with a lot of life stress the last 6 months and bp went up quite a bit.
I don't drink much, but I could reduce coffee though I'm not heavy on that.  Stress is a factor, but not really more over the last couple of years than before.

Going decaf when I can.

« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2018, 06:22:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Here is my issue:

I don't drink much, but I could reduce coffee though I'm not heavy on that.  Stress is a factor, but not really more over the last couple of years than before.

Going decaf when I can.

Cool deal. It sounds like you are on the right track. I got to make some big health changes myself.

« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2018, 07:34:35 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Take a close look at your sodium level. They have free apps that you can calculate daily intake of sodium. Try not to use any additional salt on your food as well. High sodium diets are common. Prepackaged almost everything can push you above daily limits.

« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2018, 09:41:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Well, college and classes started up again, and now after a few days at the gym there, my upper body feels so sore  :P

But to be honest, I didn't workout as much during winter break (partially because I was busy, but also because it was so cold outside so I couldn't go out to shoot hoops or run with wind chills below 0 almost everyday), though I do have an elliptical in my house which I used for some cardio/running exercises. Usually I run across and back from the beach (I live near one in a city just south of Boston), but it was just too cold most days. But yeah, did not do as much upper body exercises/routines during the break.

Typically at the gym, I do about 30-35 minutes of running on a treadmill/elliptical (whatever is available since sometimes it can get crowded that area), and then I do about 25-30 minutes strength workouts using the machines and lifting some weights. Also spend about 5-10 minutes simply stretching. If time allows, I also jog/run 0.5-1.0 miles on an indoor track we have to "loosen up" and get some endurance as well.

BUT obviously, once assignments and exams start to pile up, going to the gym and working out won't be as "usual"  :P

Oh and I'm 5' 9" and about 160 lbs. I want to lose some weight (get it to around 150), but I'm also hoping to build some muscle along the way (my Doctor even said that at this point, it may be best to do more strength workouts since I'm at the "normal" weight for most adult males apparently, and losing too much, like 20 pounds more, would actually put me underweight...).

Good to hear you are back on track. I definitely miss my University fitness center - it was excellent.

If you are going to start 'bulking up' and trying to gain more muscle, just remember it is so much easier to get fat than to actually be cut and muscular. Most of the dudes you see at the gym may look huge, but actually have a lot more fat than you know (or they know). Unless you are going to devote your life to fitness like JSD or manl_lui, you are much better off trying to incorporate all facets of fitness into your workout routine. You and your body will appreciate it a lot more when you start to get older. It sounds like you have that covered already, though.  8)

« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2018, 10:01:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Good to hear you are back on track. I definitely miss my University fitness center - it was excellent.

If you are going to start 'bulking up' and trying to gain more muscle, just remember it is so much easier to get fat than to actually be cut and muscular. Most of the dudes you see at the gym may look huge, but actually have a lot more fat than you know (or they know). Unless you are going to devote your life to fitness like JSD or manl_lui, you are much better off trying to incorporate all facets of fitness into your workout routine. You and your body will appreciate it a lot more when you start to get older. It sounds like you have that covered already, though.  8)

Thanks! TP for those suggestions

Yeah I was pretty skinny in my high school years (skeleton lol) and have kind of added muscle but also some fat as well. I'm pretty much balancing cardio and strength in my workouts and it's been good so far.

The thing is I try my best but it's also really hard to maintain a completely healthy eating schedule here lol, whereas you hear some people talk about how they only have like a salad and a slice of bread many days of the week (or something along those lines) and I'm like "dang if I see a donut on the table of a room I'm grabbing it immediately"  :P

Like I still eat pretty healthy each week but there about 2, maybe 3 days I eat some junk food or fast food (in between classes or on weekends with friends and family), and as you said, it is pretty easy to gain fat quickly. It's just a cruel world...  :(  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2018, 12:36:03 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Looking to gain 10 Kilos of muscle in 10 months starting March. I am 5 foot 8, and at approximately 56 kilos. Any suggestions on what kind of work out is good to build up my condition for January and February and what sort of work out is best for adding muscle mass thereafter?
Banner 18 please 😍