Author Topic: CSNNE : League sources say C's are focused on landing a "front court" all-star  (Read 9626 times)

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
There is a difference between all star big, and all star front court player. Paul George and Gordon Hayward are not all star bigs, but they are all star front court players.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
There is a difference between all star big, and all star front court player. Paul George and Gordon Hayward are not all star bigs, but they are all star front court players.

Exactly.  Brad Stevens classifies players as ball handlers, wings, swings, and bigs.  Those guys are both wings/swings.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Considering he has more knowledge than us I find it useful.   But then again a lot of players do not talk with Danny directly...its all what they heard from the other players....

Even CBS has not talked with Danny about the situations coming up.   Danny has said that he needs to talk with coach about what direction the team is going and what he thinks about the options that presented themselves this year....   Either way its nice to here players talk vs the crazy ideas the people on this blog have.  Some are just way to far out there...   

“It’s always a good thing when you have the opportunity to add value to your team and don’t have to change your team too much,” said Celtics’ reserve Gerald Green, who will be a free agent this summer. “I’m going to be very interested to see what they do as far as building a team. We’re in a good place right now as far as being where we want to be organization-wise. I feel like we’re one or two steps away from actually being at the Finals. I think Danny has some things to think about, but I’m sure he’s going to do the job. I’ve seen Danny go to work in these situations. He always makes the team better. I’m pretty sure he’s got something planned that, at the end of the day, is going to make this organization better.”
Gerald Green? I mean, I know he was happy to return to Boston when he re-signed here and I would take him back on another minimum contract (maybe Danny already told him as much), but it is a little peculiar to include such a long quote from a player who isn't that relevant to our near or distant future plans.
TBH, I don't find what Gerald Green, Al Horford, Avery Bradley or Isaiah Thomas have to say to be useful in terms of what the Celtics are likely to do this off-season. Those are interesting quotes in terms of how the players feel, but that's about it.  Sherrod has no real insight, only access to players.

Regarding CBS, Ainge made it clear he is not involved, but will be presented with information pretty much after they have decided what to do.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Title is pretty misleading considering they say front court not big man

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553

yup and OP has yet to correct that.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

yup and OP has yet to correct that.
In the drop down 'Latest Forum Topics' box it seems to be amended, yet everyone is replying to "CSNNE : League sources say C's are focused on landing an all-star Big Man", as opposed to the corrected title. Seems OP has fixed it though.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Considering he has more knowledge than us I find it useful.   But then again a lot of players do not talk with Danny directly...its all what they heard from the other players....

Even CBS has not talked with Danny about the situations coming up.   Danny has said that he needs to talk with coach about what direction the team is going and what he thinks about the options that presented themselves this year....   Either way its nice to here players talk vs the crazy ideas the people on this blog have.  Some are just way to far out there...   

“It’s always a good thing when you have the opportunity to add value to your team and don’t have to change your team too much,” said Celtics’ reserve Gerald Green, who will be a free agent this summer. “I’m going to be very interested to see what they do as far as building a team. We’re in a good place right now as far as being where we want to be organization-wise. I feel like we’re one or two steps away from actually being at the Finals. I think Danny has some things to think about, but I’m sure he’s going to do the job. I’ve seen Danny go to work in these situations. He always makes the team better. I’m pretty sure he’s got something planned that, at the end of the day, is going to make this organization better.”
Gerald Green? I mean, I know he was happy to return to Boston when he re-signed here and I would take him back on another minimum contract (maybe Danny already told him as much), but it is a little peculiar to include such a long quote from a player who isn't that relevant to our near or distant future plans.
TBH, I don't find what Gerald Green, Al Horford, Avery Bradley or Isaiah Thomas have to say to be useful in terms of what the Celtics are likely to do this off-season. Those are interesting quotes in terms of how the players feel, but that's about it.  Sherrod has no real insight, only access to players.

Regarding CBS, Ainge made it clear he is not involved, but will be presented with information pretty much after they have decided what to do.

I don't find what Ainge says publicly to be too useful in predicting what the C's do either.

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

I don't find what Ainge says publicly to be too useful in predicting what the C's do either.

It's great isn't it. Danny Ainge 'the mystery man'. Adressing the public and at the same time hardly giving away valuable information to our rivals.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
We will see who we are targeting soon. Should be interesting

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'm not a fan of his or anything, but wasn't there a report recently that the Hawks would only want a second rounder for Dwight Howard?  Oh, how the mighty have fallen.  Honestly, if it's not the Celtics who are looking into him, I think that the Pacers should.  Keep PG, trade Thaddeus Young and Al Jefferson to Atlanta, which is probably a lot more than they could reasonably get for Dwight, anyway, and gives them insurance in case Millsap walks, I guess, move Myles Turner back to power forward, trade Monta Ellis to Sacramento for Arron Afflalo, and suddenly they've got quite the starting five with Stephenson, Afflalo, George, Turner, and Howard.

Additionally, not only does Howard allow them to play faster, but he's one of the few guys in the league who kills Tristan Thompson, thus at least partially taking away from Cleveland's rebounding advantage, and given that George and Stephenson have a track record of getting the most out of a guy like Roy Hibbert, imagine what they could do with Dwight. :o

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'm not a fan of his or anything, but wasn't there a report recently that the Hawks would only want a second rounder for Dwight Howard?  Oh, how the mighty have fallen.  Honestly, if it's not the Celtics who are looking into him, I think that the Pacers should.  Keep PG, trade Thaddeus Young and Al Jefferson to Atlanta, which is probably a lot more than they could reasonably get for Dwight, anyway, and gives them insurance in case Millsap walks, I guess, move Myles Turner back to power forward, trade Monta Ellis to Sacramento for Arron Afflalo, and suddenly they've got quite the starting five with Stephenson, Afflalo, George, Turner, and Howard.

Additionally, not only does Howard allow them to play faster, but he's one of the few guys in the league who kills Tristan Thompson, thus at least partially taking away from Cleveland's rebounding advantage, and given that George and Stephenson have a track record of getting the most out of a guy like Roy Hibbert, imagine what they could do with Dwight. :o
Tbh I'd like the Celtics to acquire him, he's an expiring so we can let him go if he doesn't work out. Also he solves our big problems and would be a good pairing with Horford, who can play PF. If he's there for cheap I'd give the Hawks rozier and a 2nd (just absorb the cap in the summer) for him.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Tbh I'd like the Celtics to acquire him, he's an expiring so we can let him go if he doesn't work out. Also he solves our big problems and would be a good pairing with Horford, who can play PF. If he's there for cheap I'd give the Hawks rozier and a 2nd (just absorb the cap in the summer) for him.

He's signed through 2019, per basketballreference.com, though, so would you still want him, then?

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

He's signed through 2019, per basketballreference.com, though, so would you still want him, then?
why not? He's quick enough to defend on the perimeter on pick and rolls, protects the rim, is an elite rebounder and roll man and has mellowed out in his time with the rockets and hawks (his attitude got better). I think he will be the missing piece we need along with the improvement of our young guys (starting 5 would be IT Bradley Crowder Horford Howard, which imo is a contender with a Smart Fultz Brown Olynyk Zizic 2nd unit). I mean we would be dominating teams inside while having good perimeter defenders to wear other teams' perimeter players down.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Can you really miss in trading a 2nd for Dwight, especially if you're the Celtics right now?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Can you really miss in trading a 2nd for Dwight, especially if you're the Celtics right now?

My concern stems from salary cap implications. Doesn't Dwight make about as much as Horford? If we could field a team that had IT-Smart(or Fultz/Brown)-Hayward-Horford-Dwight, I'm all for it.

I don't know if it's possible. I'd say that team matches up quite well vs Cleveland though.
- LilRip