Author Topic: CSNNE : League sources say C's are focused on landing a "front court" all-star  (Read 9620 times)

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Here's a deep dive on all potential big man upgrades.  I was pretty loose on "all star potential"...like if everything broke right.  The most easily attainable are obviously the FA, though any of them would mean no Hayward.  The next most realistically attainable are probably those 5 vets though they all come with contract, injury, or performance warts.

Out of the prime/young candidates with all star potential there are probably only a few that could maybe be pried away with a significant package depending on what else happens with their team/direction:
Porzingis, Drummond, Favors, Myles Turner, DeAndre Jordan

Big Man Targets:
Trade Targets (All Star Potential Young or Prime):
Anthony Davis, Karl Anthony Towns, Kristaps Porzingis, DeMarcus Cousins, Andre Drummond, Derrick Favors, Jabari Parker, Simmons, Embiid, Myles Turner, Kevin Love, Tristan Thompson, Hassan Whiteside, DeAndre Jordan, Draymond Green, Nikola Jokic, Rudy Gobert, Steven Adams

Trade Targets (All Star Potential Vets):
Marc Gasol, Carmelo Anthony, Brook Lopez,
Dwight Howard, LaMarcus Aldridge

Trade Targets (Rotation Potential):
Aaron Gordon, Nik Vucevic, Kenneth Faried, Valanciunas, Poeltl, Saric, Okafor, Portis, R Lopez, Thon Maker, Markieff Morris, Gortat, Tyson Chandler, Gorgui Dieng, Randle, Zubac, Chriss, Bender, Len, Cauley-Stein, Koufos, Nurkic

FA Targets (All-Star Potential):
Blake Griffin, Paul Millsap, Serge Ibaka, Greg Monroe, Nerlens Noel

FA Targets (Rotation Potential):
Mason Plumlee, Pau Gasol, Dewayne Dedmon, James Johnson, Taj Gibson, Ersan Ilyasova

Toronto Raptors:
4- Ibaka
5- Valanciunas / Poeltl

Philadelphia 76ers:
4- Simmons / Saric
5- Embiid / Okafor

New York Knicks:
4- Porzingis
5-

Brooklyn Nets
4-
5- B Lopez

Chicago Bulls:
4- Portis
5- R Lopez

Indiana Pacers:
4-
5- Turner

Milwaukee Bucks:
4- Parker / Maker
5- Monroe

Detroit Pistons:
4-
5- Drummond

Cleveland Cavs:
4- Love
5- T Thompson

Washington Wizards:
4- Markieff Morris
5- Gortat

Miami Heat:
4- James Johnson
5- Whiteside

Charlotte Hornets:
4-
5-

Atlanta Hawks:
4- Millsap / Ilyasova
5- Howard

Orlando Magic:
4- A Gordon
5- Vucevic

Los Angeles Lakers:
4- Randle
5- Zubac

Los Angeles Clippers:
4- Griffin
5- Jordan

Sacramento Kings:
4- Cauley-Stein / Labissiere
5- Koufos

Phoenix Suns:
4- Chriss / Bender
5- Len / Chandler

Golden State Warriors:
4- D Green
5-

Portland Trailblazers:
4-
5- Nurkic

Denver Nuggets:
4- Jokic
5- Plumlee / Faried

Utah Jazz:
4- Favors
5- Gobert

Memphis Grizzlies:
4-
5- M Gasol

Minnesota Twolves:
4- Dieng
5- Towns

OKC Thunder:
4- Gibson
5- Adams

Dallas Mavs:
4-
5- Noel

San Antonio Spurs:
4- Aldridge
5- P Gasol / Dedmon

Houston Rockets

New Orleans Pelicans:
4- A Davis 
5- Cousins

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
trade everyone for Davis
I think if it was possible to trade IT, Avery, Crowder, and Horford for Anthony Davis, I would.
Eveyone but the pelicans would.

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Considering he has more knowledge than us I find it useful.   But then again a lot of players do not talk with Danny directly...its all what they heard from the other players....

Even CBS has not talked with Danny about the situations coming up.   Danny has said that he needs to talk with coach about what direction the team is going and what he thinks about the options that presented themselves this year....   Either way its nice to here players talk vs the crazy ideas the people on this blog have.  Some are just way to far out there...   

“It’s always a good thing when you have the opportunity to add value to your team and don’t have to change your team too much,” said Celtics’ reserve Gerald Green, who will be a free agent this summer. “I’m going to be very interested to see what they do as far as building a team. We’re in a good place right now as far as being where we want to be organization-wise. I feel like we’re one or two steps away from actually being at the Finals. I think Danny has some things to think about, but I’m sure he’s going to do the job. I’ve seen Danny go to work in these situations. He always makes the team better. I’m pretty sure he’s got something planned that, at the end of the day, is going to make this organization better.”

Gerald Green? I mean, I know he was happy to return to Boston when he re-signed here and I would take him back on another minimum contract (maybe Danny already told him as much), but it is a little peculiar to include such a long quote from a player who isn't that relevant to our near or distant future plans.
Diggles

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/adrian-wojnarowski-clippers-not-spurs-133001628.html

Woj says that the Clippers are overwhelming favorites to retain CP3. Obviously it's early in the whole process, but if the Clippers keep CP3, there is no way Blake walks right?
#JKJB

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
“It’s always a good thing when you have the opportunity to add value to your team and don’t have to change your team too much,” said Celtics’ reserve Gerald Green, who will be a free agent this summer. “I’m going to be very interested to see what they do as far as building a team. We’re in a good place right now as far as being where we want to be organization-wise. I feel like we’re one or two steps away from actually being at the Finals. I think Danny has some things to think about, but I’m sure he’s going to do the job. I’ve seen Danny go to work in these situations. He always makes the team better. I’m pretty sure he’s got something planned that, at the end of the day, is going to make this organization better.”

Gerald Green? I mean, I know he was happy to return to Boston when he re-signed here and I would take him back on another minimum contract (maybe Danny already told him as much), but it is a little peculiar to include such a long quote from a player who isn't that relevant to our near or distant future plans.

Perhaps the logic is that since he was a throw-in in that trade to acquire KG, Gerald is now an expert on Danny's player acquisition strategy.

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/adrian-wojnarowski-clippers-not-spurs-133001628.html

Woj says that the Clippers are overwhelming favorites to retain CP3. Obviously it's early in the whole process, but if the Clippers keep CP3, there is no way Blake walks right?

I don't think his teammates like playing with Paul that much. He's known for being very demanding on the court, which makes all the commercials where he appears with his teammates a tad awkward.

All indications are Blake really likes living in LA, so that's a factor. Perhaps more importantly, he's had a lot of injuries. If he decides to go for the most years and money possible it could mean he's concerned about his own health over a better shot at a ring. If the Celtics don't come calling, is there necessarily going to be a location that is a much better option than Los Angeles?

Even though the Clippers very likely missed their window, they're still a very good team that wins. Frankly, besides the Warriors and the Cavs right now there really isn't anybody that looks like they could make the leap anytime soon that would also be a good fit for Griffin. My guess is he stays.

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Knowing Danny and trades of the past (Ray Allen, Jeff Green, IT, Brooklyn trade) that all basically nobody expected at the time, makes me think that we've gotta think outside the traditional box here.

The name that I feel like is never discussed is Marc Gasol.  He'd be a pretty good fit into what Boston/Stevens is doing, no?  They are barely above .500 in a conference that is getting better while they are getting older.   Staying course for them in the West seems like a terrible plan.  He's on a deal that pays him $20+ mil until he's 36 that maybe they'd like to get out of.  If they could get out of it, they'd open up a lot of cap space this offseason, although doubtful they'd be able to do anything with it.  I'd at least put it on the radar.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Giving Paul and Griffin max deals will cripple the Clippers ability to do anything else to improve the team.  If Griffin wants to win a title, a move to Boston makes more sense.  The problem is he'd have to leave a lot of money on the table, which would not be smart for someone with his injury history.

This is the classic case of unintended consequences.  A sign-and-trade where Griffin gets his money, Boston gets its star and the Clippers get a legitimate bench would make everyone happy, but the new CBA essentially eliminated that option.

Mike

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
Knowing Danny and trades of the past (Ray Allen, Jeff Green, IT, Brooklyn trade) that all basically nobody expected at the time, makes me think that we've gotta think outside the traditional box here.

The name that I feel like is never discussed is Marc Gasol.  He'd be a pretty good fit into what Boston/Stevens is doing, no?  They are barely above .500 in a conference that is getting better while they are getting older.   Staying course for them in the West seems like a terrible plan.  He's on a deal that pays him $20+ mil until he's 36 that maybe they'd like to get out of.  If they could get out of it, they'd open up a lot of cap space this offseason, although doubtful they'd be able to do anything with it.  I'd at least put it on the radar.
Marc Gasol is way too old. Not worth giving anything of value up for at this point for this team.

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Marc Gasol is way too old. Not worth giving anything of value up for at this point for this team.

What if all it cost was Rozier + Zizic?  (thinking Memphis kind of just wants to get out of the contract and move forward)
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

I don't think his teammates like playing with Paul that much. He's known for being very demanding on the court, which makes all the commercials where he appears with his teammates a tad awkward.

All indications are Blake really likes living in LA, so that's a factor. Perhaps more importantly, he's had a lot of injuries. If he decides to go for the most years and money possible it could mean he's concerned about his own health over a better shot at a ring. If the Celtics don't come calling, is there necessarily going to be a location that is a much better option than Los Angeles?

Even though the Clippers very likely missed their window, they're still a very good team that wins. Frankly, besides the Warriors and the Cavs right now there really isn't anybody that looks like they could make the leap anytime soon that would also be a good fit for Griffin. My guess is he stays.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to be demanding of your teammates on the court. KG was the same, wasn't he? "Get your gas up" during preseason practice?? That's pretty demanding.

- LilRip

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
trade everyone for Davis
I think if it was possible to trade IT, Avery, Crowder, and Horford for Anthony Davis, I would.

That would make us the new Pelicans, except without Cousins. A bad team...  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
could we stop with the davis and towns mentions?  it's ridiculous.

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
To me... it sounded more like the Celtics are looking at a free agent big, than a trade.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Blake?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.