Poll

Would you trade the #1 for Paul George if we signed Hayward this offseason?

Yes, Cavs can be beaten with PG and Hayward
9 (15.8%)
No, would rather keep Fultz
21 (36.8%)
Would rather sign Hayward, draft Fultz, and then gamble on trying to trade for/sign PG13 so we keep #1 pick
27 (47.4%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Paul George replies to Pierce's 'Celtics should trade #1 pick for a star' tweet  (Read 6221 times)

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Would be a terrible move that sets this franchise back a decade. Not exaggerating. George wasn't even able to get 1 win against the cavs. Yet Marcus smart and Kelly olynyk and all our random non-max non-stars were able to get a win against lebron. Yet this max guy couldn't put out a good game ? Or even 1 win? Wow

Fultz + Hayward is a significantly better move  than trading for anyone unless that player is davis.

Yes, NEVER EVER let FACTS get in the way of your OPINION that he did NOT have a "good game!!"

All PG did was average 28 points, 8.8 rebounds, 7.3 assists, 1.75 steals, and .5 blocks!!!!!

And who the heck was he PASSING to for the 7.3 steals?  They have NO PROVEN talent (too young and unproven OR way past their primes) to score outside of PG.

Yes, I can hear you saying that he only shot 38.6%, but he was constantly getting double and triple teamed.  He did HOWEVER shoot 42.9% from three and 87% at the line.

His PER in Game 1 was a 26.  His PER in Game 2 was a 33.  His PER in Game 3 was a 42.  His PER in Game 4 was a 12.  Yes, he had ONE bad game.  His average PER for the stinking series was 28.75!!!!!!!!!!

Facts over opinions ANY day!!!

Smitty77
He being their on.1 option all the time has more to do with those numbers than he playing good
there all always someone who will get the numbers, but that doesn't equal to performance

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Would be a terrible move that sets this franchise back a decade. Not exaggerating. George wasn't even able to get 1 win against the cavs. Yet Marcus smart and Kelly olynyk and all our random non-max non-stars were able to get a win against lebron. Yet this max guy couldn't put out a good game ? Or even 1 win? Wow

Fultz + Hayward is a significantly better move  than trading for anyone unless that player is davis.

Yes, NEVER EVER let FACTS get in the way of your OPINION that he did NOT have a "good game!!"

All PG did was average 28 points, 8.8 rebounds, 7.3 assists, 1.75 steals, and .5 blocks!!!!!

And who the heck was he PASSING to for the 7.3 steals?  They have NO PROVEN talent (too young and unproven OR way past their primes) to score outside of PG.

Yes, I can hear you saying that he only shot 38.6%, but he was constantly getting double and triple teamed.  He did HOWEVER shoot 42.9% from three and 87% at the line.

His PER in Game 1 was a 26.  His PER in Game 2 was a 33.  His PER in Game 3 was a 42.  His PER in Game 4 was a 12.  Yes, he had ONE bad game.  His average PER for the stinking series was 28.75!!!!!!!!!!

Smitty77
He being their on.1 option all the time has more to do with those numbers than he playing good
there all always someone who will get the numbers, but that doesn't equal to performance

So a 3 time all NBA player and 3 time all defensive player , with elite length, who has taken Lebron to a game 7 without a great supporting cast is just putting up empty stats?

OK.....

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
@chambers even if PG wants to join Boston, he has little leverage. This will be decided between FOs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXN8MxBuNjw
Mike Conley thinks that George has leverage to get to the team he wants...

And PP thinks adding Hayward and George to our current core makes us a contender...
1.He wants to go to the lakers
2.True but we aren't beating LBJ with PG for 1 year, let alone GSW

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

Smitty77

So a 3 time all NBA player and 3 time all defensive player , with elite length, who has taken Lebron to a game 7 without a great supporting cast is just putting up empty stats?

OK.....
He is a star player, but not all-nba level player for now, he can't even get just one win
and even with plenty suppor he never can beat LBJ

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
@chambers even if PG wants to join Boston, he has little leverage. This will be decided between FOs.

And PP thinks adding Hayward and George to our current core makes us a contender...

He retweets pp saying to trade for him

But since talking heads want him to go to LA, that's where he'll end up . Just like Dwight, Aldridge, Melo, Derozen and Lebron were all supposed to sign there

Oh wait....

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

He retweets pp saying to trade for him

But since talking heads want him to go to LA, that's where he'll end up . Just like Dwight, Aldridge, Melo, Derozen and Lebron were all supposed to sign there

Oh wait....
Yes he did retweet, without saying anything about he will/want to stay, so there is that

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Smitty77

The FACT that he averaged 7.3 assists in the playoffs with THAT team is AMAZING to me!!!

I want a guy that puts is ALL on the line in the playoffs like PG DID this year!!!

Smitty77

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Smitty77

Not in the Playoffs against great teams.  That's BS.  If you can't hang you just get shut down in games in the Playoffs.

It depends on how teams play you some, but in many cases that even makes it harder if you are on a team with no real help because good defenses focus on you (see early LeBron against the Spurs, IT last year in the Playoffs).  Some teams play a bit more of a "make someone else beat us" strategy but either way it's far from easy against Cleveland.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Yes

PG , Hayward , Al, IT and Smart / Brown and Zicic .....Can beat an older Lebron , if not next year 2019

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I do agree that we shouldn't trade the #1 for George or Butler, but if we sign Hayward, I can see the FO contemplating it. Not sure how the line ups would work or salary.

Don't think that's really fair to George. He took them to 7 games when he had a better supporting cast and that was the Heat, he also did better vs the Cavs with his own stats than anyone on our team for the series.

He's arguably a top 10 player again playing for us. Maybe even top 5 if he fully recovers from leg snap this offseason.
Definitely not. He's the 4th best small forward, and the guy behind him will likely eclipse him soon enough.

That being said, option C would be a dream come true. PG13, Fultz AND Hayward is a big fat yes from all clear thinking Celtics fans. However, would likely come at a cost.
Him sharing the tweet does imply a certain inclination to signing an extension in Boston.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
PG is absolutely a difference maker. He's not the best SF in the league but neither was Pierce. I'm convinced this guy can be the central piece to a championship team. Now, I don't know if he's worth the #1 pick (because I don't know how to gauge Fultz), but absolutely you trade anybody else on the team not named Horford to get a guy like PG.
- LilRip

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
PG is most definitely a difference maker, and I don't think it makes sense to blame him for the loss to Cleveland. Indy has very little talent outside of PG there is no way that team could be expected to beat Cleveland in a playoff game, saying it is his fault is a bit silly. As far as his interest in going to LA, clearly Danny wouldn't do a trade for him unless they spoke first and PG agreed to do an extension with Boston.

Offline BostonClamCrowdah

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
You could bring George, Butler, and Griffin to town and you're still not beating Cleveland or GSW

Danny knows this, which is why he's building for the post LeBron era.

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
You could bring George, Butler, and Griffin to town and you're still not beating Cleveland or GSW

I think Isaiah-Butler-George-Griffin-Horford would stand a pretty good chance against both Cleveland and GS. I mean, that'd be five All Stars, literally an All Star team.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline BostonClamCrowdah

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14

I think Isaiah-Butler-George-Griffin-Horford would stand a pretty good chance against both Cleveland and GS. I mean, that'd be five All Stars, literally an All Star team.

They MIGHT be able to compete for a title. Maybe.

And it's impossible to make that roster work lol

That's why it's so important to hold onto the Brooklyn picks and build for the next 3,4,5 years

If you want to sign Hayward, that's fine. Stay competitive and put green teamer butts in the stands.. but do not mortgage the future when there are two dominant superteams we can't beat fight now