Poll

Would you trade the #1 for Paul George if we signed Hayward this offseason?

Yes, Cavs can be beaten with PG and Hayward
9 (15.8%)
No, would rather keep Fultz
21 (36.8%)
Would rather sign Hayward, draft Fultz, and then gamble on trying to trade for/sign PG13 so we keep #1 pick
27 (47.4%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Paul George replies to Pierce's 'Celtics should trade #1 pick for a star' tweet  (Read 6220 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Summary in article here:
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/05/paul_george_tweets_and_deletes.html

We heard about Pierce the other day on ESPN saying the C's should trade the #1 pick for a star.
Bleacher Report then tweets Paul Pierce's thoughts on Twitter.

Paul George then 'replies' by sharing the article to his Twitter followers (I think he shared it and replied etc..correct me if I'm wrong). Edit:His reply didn't say anything, he just 'shared it'. Which is pretty significant to me...

Bit of an endorsement for the move by PG13 here?

Let's look at the recent dots that can be connected here:
*Paul George said he'd love to play with Gordon Hayward.
*Hayward will probably at least listen to our sales pitch in free agency, especially since he's not eligible for the supermax.

Personally I'd rather draft Fultz, sign Hayward and then try and grab PG13 with other assets or wait till he's a free agent.

Not sure how it would work cap wise, but can Saltlover or someone knowledgeable confirm that it's possible/not possible to...

draft fultz
sign Hayward
trade for PG13 or sign PG13
then extend IT after those 2 are signed?

Would mean trading Bradley, dumping Olynyk, Amir.
Could we keep Crowder, Smart and Brown for the bench?

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Would be a terrible move that sets this franchise back a decade. Not exaggerating. George wasn't even able to get 1 win against the cavs. Yet Marcus smart and Kelly olynyk and all our random non-max non-stars were able to get a win against lebron. Yet this max guy couldn't put out a good game ? Or even 1 win? Wow

Fultz + Hayward is a significantly better move  than trading for anyone unless that player is davis.

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Ya we are not trading the number one for George or Butler. You scenario where we trade other assets for George is a maybe, but the one thing many people fail to consider is the luxury tax. If we sign Hayward and trade for George in one year that would get very expensive. A max or near max for Isaiah and George would mean 4 players with a combined 120 million in salary, that's the luxury tax right there. That before we consider ANY OTHER Celtics contract. This new luxury tax if very putative with new escalating rates every 5 million you go over. Its meant to prevent super team formation.

Unless the ownership is willing to pay a RECORD luxury tax in a couple years bringing in George means Isaiah would be gone in your scenario.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
Would be a terrible move that sets this franchise back a decade. Not exaggerating. George wasn't even able to get 1 win against the cavs. Yet Marcus smart and Kelly olynyk and all our random non-max non-stars were able to get a win against lebron. Yet this max guy couldn't put out a good game ? Or even 1 win? Wow

Fultz + Hayward is a significantly better move  than trading for anyone unless that player is davis.

I do agree that we shouldn't trade the #1 for George or Butler, but if we sign Hayward, I can see the FO contemplating it. Not sure how the line ups would work or salary.

Don't think that's really fair to George. He took them to 7 games when he had a better supporting cast and that was the Heat, he also did better vs the Cavs with his own stats than anyone on our team for the series.

He's arguably a top 10 player again playing for us. Maybe even top 5 if he fully recovers from leg snap this offseason.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
He is a laker guy and wants to go there so i can't care less

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
He is a laker guy and wants to go there so i can't care less

So why did he tweet this?

If you don't care don't fill threads with anti Lakers crap. This guy is a serious potential target for us.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Not wild about P.George, G.Hayward & I.Thomas as a trio. Too much of the same. Get in each other's way. Diminishing returns.

I'd rather keep Fultz. Younger. Cheaper. Allows more flexibility to go after someone else who fits in better alongside Hayward and Isaiah.

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Not sure the love affair or chatter about Paul George.  Seems obvious to me he wants to be a Laker and can go there on his own in 1 yr.  I wouldn't trade anyone except maybe Zeller or Jerebko or Amir for him without a contract that keeps him here 3 years.

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
He's dying to go to the Lakers.
Let him. Not giving up 8 years of Fultz for 1 year of George.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
If CelticsBlog managed our roster instead of Ainge our starting lineup would be five swings.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@chambers even if PG wants to join Boston, he has little leverage. This will be decided between FOs.

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
@chambers even if PG wants to join Boston, he has little leverage. This will be decided between FOs.

prolly so
LET'S GO CELTICS!

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXN8MxBuNjw
Mike Conley thinks that George has leverage to get to the team he wants...

And PP thinks adding Hayward and George to our current core makes us a contender...

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Yes, NEVER EVER let FACTS get in the way of your OPINION that he did NOT have a "good game!!"

All PG did was average 28 points, 8.8 rebounds, 7.3 assists, 1.75 steals, and .5 blocks!!!!!

And who the heck was he PASSING to for the 7.3 steals?  They have NO PROVEN talent (too young and unproven OR way past their primes) to score outside of PG.

Yes, I can hear you saying that he only shot 38.6%, but he was constantly getting double and triple teamed.  He did HOWEVER shoot 42.9% from three and 87% at the line.

His PER in Game 1 was a 26.  His PER in Game 2 was a 33.  His PER in Game 3 was a 42.  His PER in Game 4 was a 12.  Yes, he had ONE bad game.  His average PER for the stinking series was 28.75!!!!!!!!!!

Facts over opinions ANY day!!!

Smitty77

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Yes, NEVER EVER let FACTS get in the way of your OPINION that he did NOT have a "good game!!"

All PG did was average 28 points, 8.8 rebounds, 7.3 assists, 1.75 steals, and .5 blocks!!!!!

And who the heck was he PASSING to for the 7.3 steals?  They have NO PROVEN talent (too young and unproven OR way past their primes) to score outside of PG.

Yes, I can hear you saying that he only shot 38.6%, but he was constantly getting double and triple teamed.  He did HOWEVER shoot 42.9% from three and 87% at the line.

His PER in Game 1 was a 26.  His PER in Game 2 was a 33.  His PER in Game 3 was a 42.  His PER in Game 4 was a 12.  Yes, he had ONE bad game.  His average PER for the stinking series was 28.75!!!!!!!!!!

Facts over opinions ANY day!!!

Smitty77
Stop using PER.

It makes your argument look stupid.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.