Author Topic: Bradley for Holmes and Covington  (Read 7692 times)

Re: Bradley for Holmes and Covington
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2017, 06:42:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The picks in the 50s are very unlikely to take a roster spot.

True but every once in a while you get a player.

Manu Ginobili, San Antonio Spurs, 57th overall, 1999
Kyle Korver (Cleveland Cavaliers) 2003 Draft: 2nd Round, 51st Pick
Isaiah Thomas (Boston Celtics) 2011 Draft: 2nd Round, 60th Pick

It is rare, though.

I think AB for Covington and Holmes is a losing trade for us in a myriad of ways.   1) Bradley is the best player in the deal.  2) We would be facing him in our conference year after year with that excellent D.

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2017, 07:49:35 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Richaun Holmes is a very intriguing prospect. He showed flashes of brilliance when Embiid or Noel weren't available. He was given heavy minutes towards the end of the regular season and he proved to be foul prone and very inconsistent.  Maybe him and Rozier straight up? I think AB needs to bring in someone who could contribute consistently right away if ever he is traded.

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2017, 02:47:07 PM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Richaun Holmes is a very intriguing prospect. He showed flashes of brilliance when Embiid or Noel weren't available. He was given heavy minutes towards the end of the regular season and he proved to be foul prone and very inconsistent.  Maybe him and Rozier straight up? I think AB needs to bring in someone who could contribute consistently right away if ever he is traded.

I reiterate, Smart, Thomas and Smart are all free agents, and we need to free up space for Hayward.

Which one out of the 3 are you willing to part with?

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2017, 04:02:33 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Holmes and Covington are RFA in 2018 (next year). We actually picked Mickey a few spots before Holmes was selected in that draft. Then DA cut our 28th pick in the 1st, RJ Hunter.

Ideally we should not have to worry because we drafted a PF 16th last year and he spent an entire season in Europe.

TP you got me. It was 4 in the morning tho

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2017, 04:27:03 PM »

Offline Section301

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • Yum

I reiterate, Smart, Thomas and Smart are all free agents, and we need to free up space for Hayward.

The C's don't need to free up cap space for Hayward. Hayward on this team doesn't get them past the Cavaliers. More importantly, it's entirely possible that he stays in Utah.

If this team is spectacular next year then ownership will shell out to pay all three of the players you mention if it looks like keeping the team together would have a championship payoff in the near future.  If it doesn't look like that will happen, does it matter if they have to lose one of them?  It should be clear by the trade deadline in 2018 if one or more of them is worth keeping.  Trade the rest then. 
Good food, like good music and good love, always requires a little sweat in the making in order for it to be truly memorable.

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2017, 04:32:24 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
Does Avery still have any affection for Texas?  I'd trade him to Dallas for:

Nerlens Noel
Seth Curry

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yd9yvtft

Dallas doesn't know for sure if Noel will re-sign with them after this season.  And while the C's don't need another guard, they do have to sign someone for the bottom of the roster and Curry only has two years on his deal.

This would only save the Celtics about $1M though when they need another $3M and change to sign Hayward to a max deal.

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Nerlens Noel
Seth Curry

Dallas doesn't know for sure if Noel will re-sign with them after this season.  And while the C's don't need another guard, they do have to sign someone for the bottom of the roster and Curry only has two years on his deal.

This would only save the Celtics about $1M though when they need another $3M and change to sign Hayward to a max deal.
Noel is a FA
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2017, 05:30:10 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85

Nerlens Noel
Seth Curry

Noel is a FA

Oh right.  But if we are to sign Hayward with the FA slot, then it doesn't really matter how we get a rim protector does it?  Wouldn't we have Dallas do a sign-and-trade with Noel's contract?

Part of this in all honesty, is to be honorable to Bradley and send him to a team/location that he would like to go to.

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2017, 05:33:59 PM »

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20

Smart, if anyone wanted him.

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2017, 02:40:35 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7X_qxqqc5A

Latest Celtics Stuff Live. The cap expert Sam Sheehan, agrees that Bradley is the most likely to get traded in a salary dump around the draft.

The fear is that if you wait until free agency you might have to spend a pick when teams know that you are desperate to unload space for a Free agent

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2017, 03:51:31 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'd rather package Bradley, Crowder, Memphis 1st, 18 Bos 1st and LAC 1st with 2 of our latter 2nds to the Bulls for Butler, they can then keep one of them for a vet presence and swing a deal for a lottery pick in the draft. Also they get a boatload of future picks to maxmize their chances of getting another core piece. We get to get a LeBron stopper (I know nobody can stop LeBron but he can at least make LeBron work on both ends of the floor) and still keep our Brooklyn picks and rotation (assuming we draft Fultz our guard rotation will still be ok with IT-Smart-Fultz-Rozier, maybe we get a vet in FA for cheap to round out the guard rotation if we want a bit more experience).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2017, 04:49:56 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
I'd rather package Bradley, Crowder, Memphis 1st, 18 Bos 1st and LAC 1st with 2 of our latter 2nds to the Bulls for Butler, they can then keep one of them for a vet presence and swing a deal for a lottery pick in the draft. Also they get a boatload of future picks to maxmize their chances of getting another core piece. We get to get a LeBron stopper (I know nobody can stop LeBron but he can at least make LeBron work on both ends of the floor) and still keep our Brooklyn picks and rotation (assuming we draft Fultz our guard rotation will still be ok with IT-Smart-Fultz-Rozier, maybe we get a vet in FA for cheap to round out the guard rotation if we want a bit more experience).

Or you don't have to give up any assets and sign Hayward into cap space