Author Topic: Celtics demanded top 1 protection on Nets '17 at deadline, had guy in mind per  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Perhaps not worth its own thread:

.@SteveBHoop told me & @Sean_McAdam #Celtics were willing to deal #Netspick for Butler, but if No. 1 protected - meaning have guy in mind.

https://twitter.com/AdamMKaufman/status/868925716456452096

reads to me like the Celtics wont be moving that pick unless its Anthony Davis coming back.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Makes complete sense.

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Haha imagine we got Jimmy Buckets AND the protection kicked in?

I wonder what the conditions on the protection were (aka like they get the Memphis pick or something.)
#JKJB

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

I wonder what the conditions on the protection were (aka like they get the Memphis pick or something.)

Almost certainly would have to be the '18 Brooklyn pick in that case.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Id imagine they would get Nets '18
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Interesting development.  Wonder if its fultz or tatum

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
That's a big assumption to say the C's had a guy in mind because they wanted to protect the pick.

In the Cousins trade, NO put top 3 protection on their pick, does that mean they have 3 guys in mind?

If they really had a guy in mind, why would they be trying to trade the pick at all?  Especially when guys like Chad Ford were saying LA and Phoenix would take Ball #1.

Standard protection on 1st round picks is Top 1, Top 3, Top 10.  It would have been ridiculous for anybody to trade for the Nets pick this year with top 10 protection when they're last in the league.  Almost as ridiculous would be to accept the trade with Top 3 protection.  The only thing Danny could attempt to squeeze out of the deal is Top 1 protection.  I really think the protection is more about trying to win the trade, getting the most value, or not giving up too much value, than drafting a particular player.

This is pure speculation on the author's part.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 08:15:51 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
That's a big assumption to say the C's had a guy in mind because they wanted to protect the pick.

In the Cousins trade, NO put top 3 protection on their pick, does that mean they have 3 guys in mind?

If they really had a guy in mind, why would they be trying to trade the pick at all?  Especially when guys like Chad Ford were saying LA and Phoenix would take Ball #1.

Standard protection on 1st round picks is Top 1, Top 3, Top 10.  It would have been ridiculous for anybody to trade for the Nets pick this year with top 10 protection when they're last in the league.  Almost as ridiculous would be to accept the trade with Top 3 protection.  The only thing Danny could attempt to squeeze out of the deal is Top 1 protection.  I really think the protection is more about trying to win the trade, getting the most value, or not giving up too much value, than drafting a particular player.

it isn't speculation...well at least I don't think it is. Bulpett from Boston Herald has NBA sources confirming this thread.
 article from Bulpett:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2017/05/bulpett_closer_look_at_possible_changes_to_celtics_roster_for_2017_18

"A couple of opposing execs went as far as to say the C’s were looking for protection when discussing this Nets pick in trade last February, wanting to be able to keep it if it wound up first in the lottery so they could take Fultz."

Basically it looks like (according to opposing execs) Celtics really like Fultz in the lottery, and if they couldn't get fultz they preferred getting a veteran star like Butler but wanted to protect the pick to get fultz
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 02:47:31 PM by CelticsElite »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

it isn't speculation...
 article from Bulpett:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2017/05/bulpett_closer_look_at_possible_changes_to_celtics_roster_for_2017_18

"A couple of opposing execs went as far as to say the C’s were looking for protection when discussing this Nets pick in trade last February, wanting to be able to keep it if it wound up first in the lottery so they could take Fultz."

Basically it looks like (according to opposing execs) Celtics really like Fultz in the lottery, and if they couldn't get fultz they preferred getting a veteran star like Butler but wanted to protect the pick to get fultz

Great thread bump, TP.  I think though that this isn't conclusive that we are drafting Fultz, just that they see Fultz as clearly having a lot more value than Butler and anybody you would draft at 2 or later.  It is promising that we will ultimately draft him, I'd really like to follow his career first hand.  I am always open to a deal, but we might as Boston fans never get another chance to root for a player like this as a rookie.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

it isn't speculation...well at least I don't think it is. Bulpett from Boston Herald has NBA sources confirming this thread.
 article from Bulpett:

BAAAAAAAAAAM!!! That makes sense.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

While the logic of wanting Fultz makes sense, why would Danny tell opposing executives his target?

It sounds like speculation.  It's probably accurate speculation, but I don't think there's any actual knowledge of Danny's player rankings.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Interesting development.  Wonder if its fultz or tatum

LOL Tatum

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
In this case, it's pretty obvious why the Bulls or Pacers would say 'NO'.

You'd want to make a trade to have a chance at pick #1. Why the hell would you make the trade if it's protected #1?

At the end of the day though, it works out well for the C's as they won the lottery  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
In this case, it's pretty obvious why the Bulls or Pacers would say 'NO'.

You'd want to make a trade to have a chance at pick #1. Why the hell would you make the trade if it's protected #1?

At the end of the day though, it works out well for the C's as they won the lottery  ;D
give away butler for a chance at top 4 talent or for nothing/scraps. Danny knows no one is offering anything for butler

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
LOL if the Celtics ended up with PG13 and the #1.

I think they could have taken the series to 6 with George, and a deep run would likely convince him to sign a long-term deal.