Author Topic: Whose door should Danny knock on at midnight when FA opens?  (Read 8399 times)

Re: Whose door should Danny knock on at midnight when FA opens?
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2017, 02:53:22 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Danny isn't touching griffin. He confirmed this

I missed this. What did he say?
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246066/Significant-Change-Could-Occur-For-Celtics-In-Offseason

Says he wont go for 2nd or 3rd best available guy at a position in free agency. I took that as not going for someone like griffin

This take makes zero sense. Griffin is the best available big in free agency. He is probably (injuries aside) a better player than Al Horford. Would fit perfectly in our system (he can pass, is very good from mid range and showed some ability to stretch to three last year). And would be a huge upgrade over our current front court. For everybody who thinks Hayward is a PF, he is not. He could play there in spurts in crunch time line ups maybe but not as starter. If you believe the Celtics will avoid Griffin because of injury concerns then maybe, but the dude is premium talent when healthy.

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2017, 06:17:45 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246066/Significant-Change-Could-Occur-For-Celtics-In-Offseason

Says he wont go for 2nd or 3rd best available guy at a position in free agency. I took that as not going for someone like griffin

Makes sense as Hayward is probably the 6th best in his position (SF/PF), after Lebron, Kawhi, Durant, George, and Giannis. Meanwhile, Blake is probably 3rd best PF/C after AD and Draymond Green.

- LilRip

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2017, 07:33:29 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Makes sense as Hayward is probably the 6th best in his position (SF/PF), after Lebron, Kawhi, Durant, George, and Giannis. Meanwhile, Blake is probably 3rd best PF/C after AD and Draymond Green.

Blake is a PF and NOT a C. If you put him in that group he is NOT better than Towns, not better than Cousins, not better than Brook Lopez and probably several more that I haven't thought of.

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 10:27:48 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Heyward, Heyward and Heyward. You trade Crowder to Milwaukee for Monroe. Maybe you offer Aaron Baynes a fair deal.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2017, 12:53:31 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

Blake is a PF and NOT a C. If you put him in that group he is NOT better than Towns, not better than Cousins, not better than Brook Lopez and probably several more that I haven't thought of.

Towns, Cousins and Brook Lopez are pretty much just C's. I don't think they have the ability to play PF as whether in small ball or big lineups, they'll be playing the 5 position.

Blake is primarily a PF. In the same way Hayward is primarily a SF. But in a pinch, they could slide over one position higher.
- LilRip

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2017, 12:57:30 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Id say he is better than Brook Lopez. Also, isnt Towns a center

lastly, isnt the key word available? In terms of FA Griffins is the best available PF and Hayward the best available SF. You extend that to include the trade market and Blake is still the best available PF by my count while Hayward drops to 3rd behind Geoerge and Butler among available wings.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2017, 02:06:18 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Biggest problems on the team are wing scoring/offense and rebounding. Signing Hayward solves one of those. Don't need to spend huge dollars on rebounding. You can find players who just rebound for a lot less than a quality scorer.

Also, if they do sign Hayward for example and draft Fultz, there will be a numbers crunch for minutes at the guard spot. A trade including one of Rozier/Bradley/Smart and maybe Crowder (to free up minutes for Brown) for a solid PF could be realistic option as well.

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2017, 02:13:08 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I fully expect that Tom Brady, Big Papi, Chara, Brad Stevens, Danny Ainge, IT, Horford, and Bradley are all in Utah the day before free agency.

It's the most important part of the season.

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2017, 02:13:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Biggest problems on the team are wing scoring/offense and rebounding. Signing Hayward solves one of those. Don't need to spend huge dollars on rebounding. You can find players who just rebound for a lot less than a quality scorer.

Also, if they do sign Hayward for example and draft Fultz, there will be a numbers crunch for minutes at the guard spot. A trade including one of Rozier/Bradley/Smart and maybe Crowder (to free up minutes for Brown) for a solid PF could be realistic option as well.

This is pretty spot on. Plus we hope Fultz can grow into a scorer as well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2017, 02:14:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I fully expect that Tom Brady, Danny Ainge, IT, Horford,  and Bradley are all in Utah the day before free agency.

And David Ortiz (our missing ingredient from the KD meeting last year)  :laugh:

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2017, 02:16:04 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I fully expect that Tom Brady, Danny Ainge, IT, Horford,  and Bradley are all in Utah the day before free agency.

lol I was adding david and chara as you were typing this.

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2017, 02:16:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

lol I was adding david and chara as you were typing this.

LOL. My bad haha.

Idk if Bradley and Chara can come if there is no guarantee they stay for next season with their respective teams...  :P

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2017, 02:22:58 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Curry and Durant and Griffin and Hayward

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2017, 11:48:14 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Danny will be camped outside Hayward's window.  He's got the boombox, the contract, and the pen, and he's ready to roll!

This be DA at the stroke of midnight:
https://youtu.be/S5Y8tFQ01OY

Oh Stevens will be there too, and IT to give the final push!!

Then we'll pick up a ringchasing veteran big for the exception or something like that.