Author Topic: Ainge Responds To The "Trade Isaiah" Nonsense  (Read 9635 times)

Re: Ainge Responds To The "Trade Isaiah" Nonsense
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2017, 05:57:07 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Problem with maxing IT2 is his age. Dude is old(28) in point guard years.
IT has said he will play until 40 so there is still more than half the years in him

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2017, 07:46:10 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
What bothers me about the "trade Isaiah" talk is that people want to trade one of the best scorers in the history of the Celtics. For all of the rich tradition of the Celtics, they haven't had a plethora of guys who could score pretty much at will, and none since Pierce. I know his defense is bad, but without him, this team would be lucky to score 80 a game. And his D wouldn't be much of an issue if the team had any legit defensive bigs instead of all the softies on the current roster.
I agree with all of that in principle. But I've come around to the idea that if the deal is good, trading him might be the smartest option. It comes down to what it costs to keep him around and (more importantly) can IT continue to be an all star caliber player for the next 5-6 years? If not, will he take a shorter deal? Or one that declines? Or do you want to be paying $30 million to someone who is washed up just as Fultz and Brown are hitting their strides?

Also, don't sleep on the great scorers the Celtics have had, from Cousy and Sharman to Sam Jones, John Havlicek, Jo Jo White, Bird, McHale, and Pierce. Not a bad list. ;)
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2017, 08:01:53 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
What bothers me about the "trade Isaiah" talk is that people want to trade one of the best scorers in the history of the Celtics. For all of the rich tradition of the Celtics, they haven't had a plethora of guys who could score pretty much at will, and none since Pierce. I know his defense is bad, but without him, this team would be lucky to score 80 a game. And his D wouldn't be much of an issue if the team had any legit defensive bigs instead of all the softies on the current roster.
I agree with all of that in principle. But I've come around to the idea that if the deal is good, trading him might be the smartest option. It comes down to what it costs to keep him around and (more importantly) can IT continue to be an all star caliber player for the next 5-6 years? If not, will he take a shorter deal? Or one that declines? Or do you want to be paying $30 million to someone who is washed up just as Fultz and Brown are hitting their strides?

Also, don't sleep on the great scorers the Celtics have had, from Cousy and Sharman to Sam Jones, John Havlicek, Jo Jo White, Bird, McHale, and Pierce. Not a bad list. ;)

Exactly, if we maxed him out for the full five years after this year he would be making 40 million in his age 33-34 year. That has the potential to be a crippling contract. I love Isaiah, I would give him ALOT of money, but for a maximum of 3 years, not 5.

« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2017, 04:45:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Exactly, if we maxed him out for the full five years after this year he would be making 40 million in his age 33-34 year. That has the potential to be a crippling contract. I love Isaiah, I would give him ALOT of money, but for a maximum of 3 years, not 5.
I don't see Ainge giving IT a 5 year deal but a 4 year max, that I see. Give him the same deal that Hayward and Horford would be on.

« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2017, 05:06:30 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
IT has said he will play until 40 so there is still more than half the years in him

Yeah I said I'd play until I was 40, too.  What did I know.

Not many guards play past 33 or so at all, fewer start, and not many retain the first step explosiveness. Most tutor on the bench, and get it over half court then go stand in a corner.

Even OCD Ray Allen, meticulous training habits and all, became little more than a situational spot-up shooter after his early 30's.

Father Time is a SOB.

« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2017, 05:19:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Not many guards play past 33 or so at all, fewer start, and not many retain the first step explosiveness. Most tutor on the bench, and get it over half court then go stand in a corner.

Even OCD Ray Allen, meticulous training habits and all, became little more than a situational spot-up shooter after his early 30's.

Father Time is a SOB.

In general you're right, but there are exceptions. Manu Ginobili, Vince Carter, Dwayne Wade, Kobe, etc. all had great seasons at age 33 or higher. Ray was an all-star at 35.  There are too many great seasons for me to list:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=per_game&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&season_start=1&season_end=-1&lg_id=NBA&age_min=33&age_max=99&is_playoffs=N&height_min=0&height_max=99&year_min=2000&birth_country_is=Y&as_comp=gt&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&force%3Apos_is=1&c6mult=1.0&order_by=pts_per_g

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2017, 05:48:30 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Father Time is a SOB.

In general you're right, but there are exceptions. Manu Ginobili, Vince Carter, Dwayne Wade, Kobe, etc. all had great seasons at age 33 or higher. Ray was an all-star at 35.  There are too many great seasons for me to list:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=per_game&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&season_start=1&season_end=-1&lg_id=NBA&age_min=33&age_max=99&is_playoffs=N&height_min=0&height_max=99&year_min=2000&birth_country_is=Y&as_comp=gt&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&force%3Apos_is=1&c6mult=1.0&order_by=pts_per_g

Good points Roy. Also, if we do end up paying max money for IT for his last year at age 33 and he's underwhelming that year, it is still money well spent if we keep him long term and he stays at a star level for 4 out of the 5 years.