Author Topic: Ainge Responds To The "Trade Isaiah" Nonsense  (Read 9634 times)

Re: Ainge Responds To The "Trade Isaiah" Nonsense
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 04:18:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Can't trade him hurt. Also isn't he technically the face of the team right now? There are more reasons why to keep him than trade him.

The #1 reason being that he's easily the best player on the team, and is a legit star.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 04:24:57 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Let's keep in mind that this all could be posturing by Ainge to drive his price up.

That said, I tend to agree with him that we should try to keep Isaiah. Still, there's only so many positions in the backcourt, so not everyone will be able to stay. And if Ainge can get the best value for IT (and I don't think that's a sure thing), he will trade him.

We played with 4 guard lineups at points during the season.

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 04:26:01 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
Can't trade him hurt. Also isn't he technically the face of the team right now? There are more reasons why to keep him than trade him.

The #1 reason being that he's easily the best player on the team, and is a legit star.

I personally think Horford is the best player on the team (given his overall impact) but don't disagree with this take very much.

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 04:31:28 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Both those who want him to stay and those who would trade him seem to have heard what they wanted to hear. Another reason DA is a great GM.

Yeah. Loved Perk (and I do believe that), Pierce to retire in Green, etc.  At the end of the day he only wants one thing, and it has nothing to do with any particular player.

Danny loves his players, but he's not 'in love' with them.

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 04:32:18 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I personally think Horford is the best player on the team (given his overall impact) but don't disagree with this take very much.
You sir are likely in the minority on Horford. Most people would much rather keep IT and AB over Horford

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 04:36:20 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Yeah, he's our only legit star, and he's still young. Also, trading him would kill any appeal we have as a free agent destination, and all the great reputation our organization has built up around the league

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 04:54:36 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Until Ainge gets a good offer for him. Then we'll see.

I think it's funny Ainge seems surprised that fans are interested in how much money IT makes. Does he not realize how much fans talk about the salary cap and future team building?

EDIT: You kind of left out this part, which isn't quite as definitive:
Yeah, we can fit everybody in,” said Ainge. “But, listen, those are questions that I don’t even have answers for yet. That’s part of the difficult puzzle that is all hard."

“All I’m saying is those are things I have to worry about that even I don’t like to think about. And I know that those are going to be difficult decisions at some point. But we want to keep Isaiah."
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2017/05/bulpett_danny_ainge_quite_happy_with_isaiah_thomas_and_al_horford

Right. There will be difficult decisions with guys like AB, KO, Smart, etc. That question is in the context of bringing the entire team back. They're keeping IT though.

Yeah. Also, Ainge's quote says "we can fit everybody in". They can keep them all if they want to.

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 04:58:05 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I think Danny keeps him and makes a run at the title next year.

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 05:00:40 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Pretty much agree with you that Horford is the best player but Isaiah is definitely the star, if that makes sense.

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2017, 05:10:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I see Ainge's exact wording is being dissected by those that think IT will be or should be traded. I think its pretty clear Ainge looks at IT as a keeper long term. He isn't being traded.

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2017, 05:22:05 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
And I call it nonsense because that's how Danny sees it:

Quote from: Danny Ainge
“[W]e want to keep Isaiah.

“All I know is that he’s had an amazing year, and who doesn’t want Isaiah Thomas on their team? Like, you’ve got to be kidding me.”

Ainge laughed at public concern that Thomas will be too expensive.

“Why do the fans need to worry about how much money he makes?” he said. “I can understand if Isaiah and his wife and his agent are worried about that, but I don’t understand why that’s a conversation that needs to be had in the media.”

Listen, Isaiah has had one of the most impressive seasons in Celtics history in so many ways with what he was able to accomplish,” Ainge said. “I don’t know why people can’t see that.

He's not leaving.  Or, as Steve Bulpett puts it,

I’m sure if New Orleans calls and offers Anthony Davis, draft picks and Mardi Gras beads for life, the Celtics will likely be willing to part with Isaiah Thomas.

But Danny Ainge doesn’t believe the Little Guy is going anywhere — not now nor when his contract expires after next season.

Okay, so I'm going to take the opposite point of view. To me, everything in the above reads that he is looking to trade Isaiah, or at least isn't ruling it out.

I'm not saying that I want to trade Isaiah. I'm just saying that the quotes from Danny indicates that he would do so.

Everything in his statement says, "This guy has value and we're willing to trade him for value." Nowhere does Ainge say, "We're not going to trade him." Ainge doesn't even say that he doesn't want to trade him. He does say "We want to keep him," which is very different from "We won't trade himl" Instead, Ainge deflects every argument, rather than addressing it directly. He praises IT's play and asks who wouldn't want him. Of course everyone would want him, but that's not a denial. Rather, that's a "You should want him because I want him and should be ready to give me huge value for him."

When asked about money, he deflects the question again. Obviously, the crowd is concerned about the salary cap implications, not the dollar amount itself. Ainge doesn't address that, instead concentrating on the absolute salary. He knows that we're not concerned about the depth of management's pockets, but creates the red herring, anyway.

When talking about IT's season, he says what a great season IT had and how we don't see that. Another red herring. Of course we all know that IT had a great season. That isn't at issue. What is at issue is where he'll be having his next great season.

I've had just enough training in language cues to be dangerous, and these answers stuck out like a sore hip.

IT's on the market. DA is as cold as a Belichick when it comes to stocking his team.

Mike

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2017, 05:33:04 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

You sir are likely in the minority on Horford. Most people would much rather keep IT and AB over Horford

Who most people would rather keep is irrelevant.  Horford is likely the best all-around player on the team and certainly was in the playoffs.

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2017, 05:33:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

“All I know is that he’s had an amazing year, and who doesn’t want Isaiah Thomas on their team? Like, you’ve got to be kidding me.”

“Why do the fans need to worry about how much money he makes?” he said. “I can understand if Isaiah and his wife and his agent are worried about that, but I don’t understand why that’s a conversation that needs to be had in the media.”

Listen, Isaiah has had one of the most impressive seasons in Celtics history in so many ways with what he was able to accomplish,” Ainge said. “I don’t know why people can’t see that.

I’m sure if New Orleans calls and offers Anthony Davis, draft picks and Mardi Gras beads for life, the Celtics will likely be willing to part with Isaiah Thomas.

But Danny Ainge doesn’t believe the Little Guy is going anywhere — not now nor when his contract expires after next season.

Okay, so I'm going to take the opposite point of view. To me, everything in the above reads that he is looking to trade Isaiah, or at least isn't ruling it out.

I'm not saying that I want to trade Isaiah. I'm just saying that the quotes from Danny indicates that he would do so.

Everything in his statement says, "This guy has value and we're willing to trade him for value." Nowhere does Ainge say, "We're not going to trade him." Ainge doesn't even say that he doesn't want to trade him. He does say "We want to keep him," which is very different from "We won't trade himl" Instead, Ainge deflects every argument, rather than addressing it directly. He praises IT's play and asks who wouldn't want him. Of course everyone would want him, but that's not a denial. Rather, that's a "You should want him because I want him and should be ready to give me huge value for him."

When asked about money, he deflects the question again. Obviously, the crowd is concerned about the salary cap implications, not the dollar amount itself. Ainge doesn't address that, instead concentrating on the absolute salary. He knows that we're not concerned about the depth of management's pockets, but creates the red herring, anyway.

When talking about IT's season, he says what a great season IT had and how we don't see that. Another red herring. Of course we all know that IT had a great season. That isn't at issue. What is at issue is where he'll be having his next great season.

I've had just enough training in language cues to be dangerous, and these answers stuck out like a sore hip.

IT's on the market. DA is as cold as a Belichick when it comes to stocking his team.

Mike

For whatever it's worth, the guy doing the interview thought that Ainge wants to keep IT now and in the future.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 05:34:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I've had just enough training in language cues to be dangerous
this quote is an all-timer
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2017, 05:37:18 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Mike

For whatever it's worth, the guy doing the interview thought that Ainge wants to keep IT now and in the future.

Totally understood. And I consider Bulpett to be one of the better reporters. I just think Ainge was playing awfully cagey.

I've had just enough training in language cues to be dangerous
this quote is an all-timer

Great. Feel free to put it in your sig and you can refer back to it any time I say something you find outrageous. Being able to interpret language cues in written form is not the pseudoscience that trying to interpret body language is.

Mike