Author Topic: How real is the Gordon Hayward possibility?  (Read 8607 times)

Re: How real is the Gordon Hayward possibility?
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2017, 09:17:20 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I really think Gordon is going to explore his options. C's have a shot. Dark horse is Lakers. If Lakers pull trigger for George they could recruit Hayward.

I think the dark horse is Miami actually.

I don't trust Pat Riley  >:(

I think he will be a Heater ...makes sense on so many levels .  Riley type player,  in a warm glitter city .  He does not seem the type to play in a small market ....CP3 has trained him well.   

Maybe Griffin has a life changing attitude where winning means more than selling cars and insurance

Boston is one of the largest media markets in the country, well ahead of Miami (Miami is actually 2nd in Florida to Tampa).

Also, do you really see Hayward as a glitzy glamour type of player? I know he has awesome Jonas Jerebko hair, but he doesn't seem overly concerned with his image; he did re-up with Utah once already, after all.

I do think he comes to Boston. I agree with dangler that if there ever was a perfect free agent at the perfect time for Boston, Hayward is it.

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2017, 09:21:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I really think Gordon is going to explore his options. C's have a shot. Dark horse is Lakers. If Lakers pull trigger for George they could recruit Hayward.

I think he will be a Heater ...makes sense on so many levels .  Riley type player,  in a warm glitter city .  He does not seem the type to play in a small market ....CP3 has trained him well.   

Maybe Griffin has a life changing attitude where winning means more than selling cars and insurance

Boston is one of the largest media markets in the country, well ahead of Miami (Miami is actually 2nd in Florida to Tampa).

Also, do you really see Hayward as a glitzy glamour type of player? I know he has awesome Jonas Jerebko hair, but he doesn't seem overly concerned with his image; he did re-up with Utah once already, after all.

I do think he comes to Boston. I agree with dangler that if there ever was a perfect free agent at the perfect time for Boston, Hayward is it.

He re-upped only because UT matched Charlotte offer right?

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2017, 09:22:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Happy wife happy life.

May depend on where she wants to go. Or stay.

come on now.....not sure I want him , if he is THaT hen pecked ......LOL. .....want an agressive attitude ..

Im the man ,  we are going to Boston wife......like it or lump it ......Im king .... ;D

Out of curiosity, are you married?  ;)

my Daddy trained me right .....she knows who butters her bread  ;D

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2017, 09:29:05 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I heard someone (I can't remember who, maybe the Utah radio guy on a Lowe Post?) talking about how there was actually some bad blood between Hayward and Utah's front office because the Jazz weren't going to give him the max until they matched that Charlotte offer.

He also specified that Hayward loves the coach and likes what the team has done a lot since then but that there is a possibility of lingering dislike or distrust that might cause Hayward to look elsewhere.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2017, 09:32:08 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
Yeah, I forgot his offer was matched. Still, he could have demanded out, but instead embraced the community, progressed into an all-star, and made SLC his home.

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2017, 09:32:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I heard someone (I can't remember who, maybe the Utah radio guy on a Lowe Post?) talking about how there was actually some bad blood between Hayward and Utah's front office because the Jazz weren't going to give him the max until they matched that Charlotte offer.

He also specified that Hayward loves the coach and likes what the team has done a lot since then but that there is a possibility of lingering dislike or distrust that might cause Hayward to look elsewhere.

To be honest, that was A LONG TIME AGO, and I'm sure Utah will offer the max this time around.

It's going to come down to the meeting, Brad Stevens, and drafting Fultz.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2017, 09:45:05 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I was under the impression that Hayward was very close to Brad Stevens so I think that moves the Celtics way above 50%.  I'm pretty sure I read somewhere Stevens was close to his whole family including his wife. If ever a free agent lined up for us, it is Hayward this year.

This move has been talked about since Stevens became coach.  Early on trades were unrealistic, and looking at the FA money it seemed like Utah would have the advantage.  But now it makes so much sense.  As soon as the all NBA team was announced, Hayward to Boston was a done deal in my book. From a money stand point the difference is minimal now, so there is really no advantage for Utah.   As far as which is a better team for him as a player, Boston is the better than Utah if Hayward stays in Utah, but neither team has a chance against the Caves or GSW.  But if he goes to Boston then Boston joins San Antonio as having a slim chance to make it to the finals. If Fultz and Zizic are for real and we make one more good move in addition to Hayward we'll have a fighting chance to make the finals. Utah wont have the cap space after resigning Hayward to make any moves to get much better than they already are, and more than likely they will have to give up some of their core to keep Hayward so they may en up worse off keeping him.

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2017, 09:48:58 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

To be honest, that was A LONG TIME AGO, and I'm sure Utah will offer the max this time around.

It's going to come down to the meeting, Brad Stevens, and drafting Fultz.
Yeah, it was a while ago and you're right Utah will definitely offer max this time around. But if Boston is appealing to Hayward and he needs a little nudge away from Utah...
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2017, 10:17:00 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I think Utah has the edge. He's the best player and could go down as an all time great for the franchise. I also think there are about 10 other teams that would be happy to give him a max deal.

I'm not sold that he is worth such a financial commitment. He's prob the 5th best SF, but I think he's not in the same ball park as Kawhi/PG13 or universe as Lebron.

Right now the Celtics are a top 5 team. Hayward keeps them in the category, though I'm not sure he actually moves the needle too much for the Celtics.

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2017, 10:24:02 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I think Utah has the edge. He's the best player and could go down as an all time great for the franchise. I also think there are about 10 other teams that would be happy to give him a max deal.

I'm not sold that he is worth such a financial commitment. He's prob the 5th best SF, but I think he's not in the same ball park as Kawhi/PG13 or universe as Lebron.

Right now the Celtics are a top 5 team. Hayward keeps them in the category, though I'm not sure he actually moves the needle too much for the Celtics.
Same

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2017, 10:25:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

Hayward may LOVE Utah, but if he cares about ever competing for a championship, he needs to move on. It's not all that often that a team as successful as the Celtics has max cap space and the potential to drastically improve due to their high end young talent. It's even more rare that said team has his college coach who he happens to be very close to.

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2017, 10:36:43 PM »

Offline emajic1

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
Very real.  I think Boston is on the radar for basically every free agent now for 5 reasons:

1) Major free agent (Horford) signing here last year.
2) CBS reputation growing and appearance coaching in the all-star game. 
3) Young talent and asset situation. 
4) Performance of #1 seed and ECS Finals (impressive even with gap between us and Cleveland)
5) Tradition and fans. 

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2017, 10:59:23 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Honestly, I'd be surprised if Hayward leaves Utah. They love him there and I'm sure management would offer him the max with no hesitation.
- LilRip

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2017, 11:20:31 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
It's at least as real as Horford to Boston, right?

Not really.  Atlanta declined to offer Horford the max (or the years), I think, and he felt spurned.  Not saying he would have stayed, but that was probably the nail in the coffin.

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2017, 11:23:00 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Honestly, I'd be surprised if Hayward leaves Utah. They love him there and I'm sure management would offer him the max with no hesitation.

I would be too, only because many players stay if they can.