Poll

Ainge Does Not Draft Fultz. How Do You Feel?

REALLY UPSET
59 (53.2%)
A Little Upset, But I Trust Ainge, And Maybe He Sees Something In Another Player From Workouts
40 (36%)
Not Upset At All. Would Rather Trade The Pick For A Star
3 (2.7%)
Not Upset At All. I See "Bust" Written All Over Him And/Or Prefer Someone Else
4 (3.6%)
Other Reaction (Comment Below!)
5 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Author Topic: How Upset Would You Be If Ainge DIDN'T Draft Fultz With #1?  (Read 13261 times)

Re: How Upset Would You Be If Ainge DIDN'T Draft Fultz With #1?
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2017, 02:49:44 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I'd be a little upset if we didn't draft Kyrie Irving, but trust Ainge in his decision to draft Derrick Williams.

I'd be a little upset if we didn't draft John Wall, but trust Ainge in his decision to draft Evan Turner.

I'd be a little upset if we didn't draft Karl-Anthony Towns, but trust Ainge in his decision to draft Russell/Okafor.

Seriously - Fultz is without a doubt the #1 draft prospect. I don't care what Ainge sees in a single draft workout. Passing up on the best prospect at the #1 spot is a lot different than taking Brown at #3 which is actually within range of where he was supposed to go.

Danny needs to make a trade with Philly if he wants Jackson/Tatum. It will be so much more beneficial. The Webber/Hardaway trade is a perfect example of what to do if you want a different player than who is the consensus #1.

Well maybe he is trading with Philly ? Maybe he's drafting Fultz then trading back in at 3 for Tatum.

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2017, 02:51:17 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I wouldnt be so much upset as Id be really nervous. Taking Fultz, Id be confident that we have a really good player. Taking someone else and Id be worried that Danny tried to outsmart himself. Although I would give that player a chance to prove himself.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2017, 02:52:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd be pretty upset. But, I loved the Gerald Green pick and thought Rudy Gay would be a superstar, so what do I know? I'm wrong more than I'm right regarding the draft.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2017, 03:41:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Also, Phantom - good thread, but I would probably remove option #3. I assumed the poll question was specific to if we kept the pick, but didn't take Fultz. #3 leaves open an entirely different option of trading the pick.

Edit - So far the results are 12 Very / 15 a little / 2 bust - I guess my 'value' argument has done little to persuade those voting on this poll. I am really surprised more people wouldn't be outraged. If Ainge sees something in a different player, then he should trade down, not take that player at #1. It is really rare to get the #1 pick, I am not sure people actually realize this.

I put it there thinking some people here are "hell bent" on winning-now and trading it.

Idk if removing it would affect the entire poll in a bad way and mess it up LOL.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2017, 03:45:21 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'd be a little upset if we didn't draft Kyrie Irving, but trust Ainge in his decision to draft Derrick Williams.

I'd be a little upset if we didn't draft John Wall, but trust Ainge in his decision to draft Evan Turner.

I'd be a little upset if we didn't draft Karl-Anthony Towns, but trust Ainge in his decision to draft Russell/Okafor.

Seriously - Fultz is without a doubt the #1 draft prospect. I don't care what Ainge sees in a single draft workout. Passing up on the best prospect at the #1 spot is a lot different than taking Brown at #3 which is actually within range of where he was supposed to go.

Danny needs to make a trade with Philly if he wants Jackson/Tatum. It will be so much more beneficial. The Webber/Hardaway trade is a perfect example of what to do if you want a different player than who is the consensus #1.

More like Paul George over Wall or Kawhi Leonard over Irving.  I'd take either of those two outcomes, and I'd take Jackson over Fultz.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2017, 03:47:39 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Ainge likes Tatum according to cbs sports and also broussard

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2017, 03:50:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Ainge likes Tatum according to cbs sports and also broussard

If his SAUCES say that, then oh no...  :(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2017, 04:02:51 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't think it's gonna happen unless the pick gets traded for Lebron.  :laugh:

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2017, 04:10:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

More like Paul George over Wall or Kawhi Leonard over Irving.  I'd take either of those two outcomes, and I'd take Jackson over Fultz.

If Ainge took a prospect ranked #10 (George) or #15 (Kawhi) at #1, I would love to see how this board would react. It's fun to cherry pick the best players taken later in their respective drafts, but this is a [mostly] consensus #1 we're talking about. You either take Fultz (preferred) or trade back to a position where you know you will get 'your' guy.

Well maybe he is trading with Philly ? Maybe he's drafting Fultz then trading back in at 3 for Tatum.

I wouldn't be ecstatic with trading back, but Philly would be a perfect team to make a trade with. You definitely get Jackson or Tatum (if that's Ainge's preference), plus a whole lot more.

All I am trying to say is simply taking Tatum at #1 would be pretty disastrous.

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2017, 04:14:12 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I believe there is a 99% chance that Fultz becomes a Celtic since we hold the #1 overall pick and Danny isn't stupid.

But there is a 1% chance that we get a godfather offer like Anthony Davis for the #1 or KAT for the #1.  So I'm ok with the godfather offer scenario.  But most likely we just take Fultz.

Of course DA will go through the whole 'process' where he combs through, scouts, and works out every top 10 prospect.  But let's get real, at the end of the day, Markelle Fultz will be the next great Boston Celtic.  The only real question will be what jersey number he wears. ;)

Actually correction - Markelle's current # of choice - 20 is not retired yet.  Will he be the player that forces #20 to be retired by us about 20 years from now? 

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2017, 04:20:52 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

If Ainge took a prospect ranked #10 (George) or #15 (Kawhi) at #1, I would love to see how this board would react. It's fun to cherry pick the best players taken later in their respective drafts, but this is a [mostly] consensus #1 we're talking about. You either take Fultz (preferred) or trade back to a position where you know you will get 'your' guy.

I wouldn't be ecstatic with trading back, but Philly would be a perfect team to make a trade with. You definitely get Jackson or Tatum (if that's Ainge's preference), plus a whole lot more.

"Consensus number one" is a meaningless designation in most drafts that don't feature Lebron James.  If Danny Ainge thinks Jayson Tatum or Josh Jackson will have the best career and takes either at number one, I'd be fully on board.

Personally--based on my completely amateur, recreational scouting--I'm not that sold on Markelle Fultz as an NBA star.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2017, 04:29:31 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

"Consensus number one" is a meaningless designation in most drafts that don't feature Lebron James.  If Danny Ainge thinks Jayson Tatum or Josh Jackson will have the best career and takes either at number one, I'd be fully on board.

Personally--based on my completely amateur, recreational scouting--I'm not that sold on Markelle Fultz as an NBA star.

So you would rather Ainge take Jackson/Tatum at #1 than trade back with Philly to get #3 (where he can still take Jackson/Tatum) and say the Lakers first next year? Am I hearing you correctly? Whether or not Danny is making the pick, Fultz should and will go #1. Any team trading up to the #1 spot is trading to get Fultz, not Jackson/Tatum.

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2017, 04:31:31 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd be really upset. There's no point picking first if you're not selecting Fultz. It just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, plus Ball is not even taking a workout here. He's #2 in my board.

I know it hasn't stopped the team before, but this situation is a lot more dramatic lol.

Ball reminds me of the Kobe draft where he told some teams he did not want to play for them. But the key difference is that Kobe is much better prospect then Ball in my eyes but I still would have liked Ainge to see him up close and personal just to make sure of that factor!
Ball is a much better prospect than Kobe.  A lot of you guys see 20/20 in hindsight in regards to this stuff.   Lorenzen wright, samaki walker, Todd Fuller, and our own Vitaly Potopenko were all picked before Kobe.  Ball will most likely go 2nd.

More on topic, I'll be very upset if Ainge drafts someone like Jackson (who I actually like and can see Ainge loving).   I want Fultz.

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2017, 04:53:30 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

So you would rather Ainge take Jackson/Tatum at #1 than trade back with Philly to get #3 (where he can still take Jackson/Tatum) and say the Lakers first next year? Am I hearing you correctly? Whether or not Danny is making the pick, Fultz should and will go #1. Any team trading up to the #1 spot is trading to get Fultz, not Jackson/Tatum.

I'm not convinced that there is enough difference between the perceived value of the number 1 pick and the number 3 pick this year that Danny would be able to add significant value in a 1 for 3 swap.

I'm guessing that come draft night the "consensus" tag will be considered much more debatable.

What I do know is that I prefer Josh Jackson as a player to Markelle Fultz.  I will go so far as to say that of the current top 4 prospects in the upcoming draft, Fultz is my least favorite.  Jackson is my favorite, with Tatum and Ball after him (I haven't made up my mind as to who I prefer of those two).
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2017, 04:55:17 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73

FWIW, a list of #1 picks post-LeBron and who is (arguably) the best player from the class

2004: Dwight (consensus pick); Dwight
2005: Bogut (was kinda a pickum draft tbh); CP3
2006: Bargnani (eh, I don't really remember this draft); Alridge?  Milsapp?  kinda lackluster draft
2007: Oden (it was a two man draft, and I don't recall one being that much favored over the other); Durant
2008: Rose (consensus pick); Westbrook
2009: Griffin (consensus pick); Curry
2010: Wall (consensus pick); could be Wall or could be PG13 or Boogie
2011: Kyrie (consensus pick); Kawhi
2012: Davis (consensus pick); Davis
2013: Bennett (lolwut?); Giannis
2014: Wiggins (this one is tricky, I think Embiid would have been consensus pick if he didn't get hurt and/or the LeBron factor wasn't present); too early to tell
2015: KAT (consensus pick); kinda early but probably KAT
2016: Simmons (consensus pick); who tf knows?

So of 7 guys considered consensus picks (not counting Simmons), we have 2 definites, another 2 that could very well be the best, and a guy who ended up being the 2nd best to a guy who came out of (relatively) nowhere.  Rose and Griffin are the other 2, and Rose was easily the best until he got injured while the Griffin draft ended up being low-key loaded.

Sometimes the dice don't fall your way, but it's best to pick the consensus guy than to get cute and pick the gamble instead.  Because at the end of the day, I don't think Cleveland is exactly kicking itself over picking Irving over Kawhi, or the Wizards Wall over George