Poll

Ainge Does Not Draft Fultz. How Do You Feel?

REALLY UPSET
59 (53.2%)
A Little Upset, But I Trust Ainge, And Maybe He Sees Something In Another Player From Workouts
40 (36%)
Not Upset At All. Would Rather Trade The Pick For A Star
3 (2.7%)
Not Upset At All. I See "Bust" Written All Over Him And/Or Prefer Someone Else
4 (3.6%)
Other Reaction (Comment Below!)
5 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Author Topic: How Upset Would You Be If Ainge DIDN'T Draft Fultz With #1?  (Read 13205 times)

Re: How Upset Would You Be If Ainge DIDN'T Draft Fultz With #1?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 01:14:56 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Ultimately I trust Danny, but I don't think they pass up on Fultz.  I've read before the lottery that they liked him a lot, and I believe another poster mentioned that Scal said the same thing (though I haven't been able to find it anywhere).

Fultz' defense concerns me a bit, but he is really young and has the tools to be a solid defender.

I watched some more highlights of his this morning and he looks like he is really special on the offensive end.  The possibility of having him on a 4-year rookie deal, and his restricted right after that are a lot to pass up.

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 01:18:50 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Also, Phantom - good thread, but I would probably remove option #3. I assumed the poll question was specific to if we kept the pick, but didn't take Fultz. #3 leaves open an entirely different option of trading the pick.

Edit - So far the results are 12 Very / 15 a little / 2 bust - I guess my 'value' argument has done little to persuade those voting on this poll. I am really surprised more people wouldn't be outraged. If Ainge sees something in a different player, then he should trade down, not take that player at #1. It is really rare to get the #1 pick, I am not sure people actually realize this.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 02:13:36 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 01:18:56 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I would be furious.

Ainge may not love Fultz, but if he actually keeps the #1 pick, then he has to choose him. Otherwise, he needs to trade down in the draft (or out) and pick up other significant assets while still getting the guy he wants.

Simply making the pick and not taking Fultz would be an utter disaster as the #1 pick salary scale is already making it tight signing a max fa.
Ainge is not stupid.  He isn't going to bypass a better player because of team fit.  While I would be surprised, if DA picks someone else it is because he feels that other player is better.  And I'm not one to mess around or try to trade back.  This ain't the NFL anyway.

While I definitely want to take Fultz, trading back is pretty open and shut, in this case, if Danny has his eyes on Jackson, Tatum, or Fox (or whoever) as those three are guaranteed to be there at #3. Philly would kill to have Fultz and would add significant compensation - in addition to the #3 pick - to get him.

Again, I want to keep the pick, but I will be steaming if he takes a player at #1 who is not Fultz who he could have had a couple spots later. It just wouldn't make any sense in terms of value.
Yeah, I would be even MORE upset if he traded back because this COULD mean that DA thinks Fultz is better but want quantity over quality.  Stay at #1 and pick the best guy, whoever that is. 

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 01:29:03 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Tough to be upset when nobody knows who will be the best. It's a crap shoot.

This is how I feel.

Reminds me of the Shaq and Penny 30 for 30.  The GM was saying how the fans were livid when they traded Webber for Penny.  Worked out pretty well for the Magic at the time.

Pacer fans booed when Reggie Miller was selected over Steve Alford.

It was just a couple of years ago that the Knicks fans were booing Porzingis.

Hard to be upset, when I don't know how the pick will turn out.  The professonials running my favorite franchise must have seen something that I as a fan didn't see.

If he doesn't take Fultz #1, well then in Danny I trust.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 01:43:10 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I would prefer Josh Jackson.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 02:04:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
The worst he can do is Jackson or Tatum .   These may be the safer picks ......but not the Star potiental Fultz could be in say3 years.

if he does take Jackson or Tatum .....I won't be surprized really .   And not mad .

I think its 90 % he does Fultz unless a trade comes up that he likes better.   Always that out of nowhere move DA ' is famous for ....the unexpected.

Everybody wants the new red Ferrari in the showroom ....thats Fultz

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 02:11:06 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
when i heard Ball working out for 76 ers

That comes from possibility Celtics NOT taking Fultz ,  instead taking Jackson or Tatum with first.

Ball must not have a Laker deal wrapped 100 %

Lakers might be going to take Fultz over Ball if Celtics pass ......his actions might indicate this possibly

This could leave Ball way out in the cold ,   he could fall several,places.  Better to have somebody want you .....as a plan B

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 02:15:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
when i heard Ball working out for 76 ers

That comes from possibility Celtics NOT taking Fultz ,  instead taking Jackson or Tatum with first.

Ball must not have a Laker deal wrapped 100 %

Lakers might be going to take Fultz over Ball if Celtics pass ......his actions might indicate this possibly

This could leave Ball way out in the cold ,   he could fall several,places.  Better to have somebody want you .....as a plan B
The idea of Fultz running around in the purple and gold sickens me.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 02:20:16 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'd feel the same as I did when Brown was picked last year. Surprised, but not upset - it's hard to feel upset until you see how everyone ends up
I'm bitter.

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2017, 02:24:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
I'd feel the same as I did when Brown was picked last year. Surprised, but not upset - it's hard to feel upset until you see how everyone ends up

but ......would n't you still be just a little.  " bitter ".  LOL  ;D

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2017, 02:40:31 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I've kind of fallen in love with Fultz so I'd be a little upset but then I'd have to take a breath and remember that the Celtics staff has done a lot more research and knows more about basketball than I do. Plus, as others have said, the draft is so often a crap shoot.

I'll be willing to wait and see.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2017, 02:41:26 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Wasn't it Ainge who said last year (regarding Brown) that most top high schoolers never fail ? Although Fultz was a somewhat late high school stud, he's still in the category. If Ainge is making the pick & not trading, 99% tells me he's going Fultz, no question.

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2017, 02:41:39 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'd be a little upset if we didn't draft Kyrie Irving, but trust Ainge in his decision to draft Derrick Williams.

I'd be a little upset if we didn't draft John Wall, but trust Ainge in his decision to draft Evan Turner.

I'd be a little upset if we didn't draft Karl-Anthony Towns, but trust Ainge in his decision to draft Russell/Okafor.

Seriously - Fultz is without a doubt the #1 draft prospect. I don't care what Ainge sees in a single draft workout. Passing up on the best prospect at the #1 spot is a lot different than taking Brown at #3 which is actually within range of where he was supposed to go.

Danny needs to make a trade with Philly if he wants Jackson/Tatum. It will be so much more beneficial. The Webber/Hardaway trade is a perfect example of what to do if you want a different player than who is the consensus #1.

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 02:46:08 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
very upset until I took another look at Tatum's highlight video.

So I can see him trading down for Tatum and some more consideration from Philly.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 02:53:47 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2017, 02:46:58 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
I'd be really upset. There's no point picking first if you're not selecting Fultz. It just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, plus Ball is not even taking a workout here. He's #2 in my board.

I know it hasn't stopped the team before, but this situation is a lot more dramatic lol.

Ball reminds me of the Kobe draft where he told some teams he did not want to play for them. But the key difference is that Kobe is much better prospect then Ball in my eyes but I still would have liked Ainge to see him up close and personal just to make sure of that factor!

Magic is going to take his Ball and go home  ;D

Since father and son are a package deal, wouldn't that be Balls?

...sorry, channeling my inner Andrew Dice Clay.  I'll try to be better! :)

Rak