Poll

Ainge Does Not Draft Fultz. How Do You Feel?

REALLY UPSET
59 (53.2%)
A Little Upset, But I Trust Ainge, And Maybe He Sees Something In Another Player From Workouts
40 (36%)
Not Upset At All. Would Rather Trade The Pick For A Star
3 (2.7%)
Not Upset At All. I See "Bust" Written All Over Him And/Or Prefer Someone Else
4 (3.6%)
Other Reaction (Comment Below!)
5 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Author Topic: How Upset Would You Be If Ainge DIDN'T Draft Fultz With #1?  (Read 13202 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'll admit, last night I had a dream that Ainge didn't draft Fultz (just some other guy, don't know specifically who LOL), and then in my dream I saw Fultz's stats show he dropped 40 in a game and everyone cheer, but then woke up from the nightmare when I saw Fultz in purple and gold, and the stands filled with Lakers fans..  :laugh:

Still, that got me thinking, "what if Ainge actually chooses someone else like Ball, Jackson, Tatum or Isaac".

I know some people prefer others, like Ball, Tatum, Isaac or Jackson, and not Fultz, OR they'd rather trade the pick for another legit star out there, but if Ainge didn't draft Fultz, how upset would you be really?

I'd be REAL upset. I see the upside of a Westbrook/Harden-like guard/scorer who can play average defense (better than Isaiah Thomas, who I love, but still...), and he has the size too.

PLUS, I don't think adding a Butler/George right now gets us past CLE anyways, so this way we can develop Fultz, Brown, Smart, 2018 Nets Pick, Zizic, etc. and some veterans to form a dynasty post-Lebron (hopefully starting 3-4 years later). So I'd keep the pick and would not trade down either (pick Fultz, best player in this draft and above everyone else IMO).

Not expecting him to come out of the gate red-hot, but in a few years he could develop into one of the elites in the league IMO.

Plus, he's said the right things so far, has said he'd love to play alongside Isaiah with the Celtics, and hasn't been as dramatic as the other elite PG prospect in the draft..  ;)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: How Upset Would You Be If Ainge DIDN'T Draft Fultz With #1?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 12:18:23 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Fultz is the exact kind of player we have been waiting for to help us towards the end of the games and take pressure of IT. No more double's on IT if we have another lights out shooter as another option. I do not want anyone not named Fultz in first position. Only a trade for Davis would I ever consider and this as likely as us discovering martians living under the red planet. Really upset for sure!

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 12:23:50 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I would be furious.

Ainge may not love Fultz, but if he actually keeps the #1 pick, then he has to choose him. Otherwise, he needs to trade down in the draft (or out) and pick up other significant assets while still getting the guy he wants.

Simply making the pick and not taking Fultz would be an utter disaster as the #1 pick salary scale is already making it tight signing a max fa.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 12:24:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Fultz is the exact kind of player we have been waiting for to help us towards the end of the games and take pressure of IT. No more double's on IT if we have another lights out shooter as another option. I do not want anyone not named Fultz in first position. Only a trade for Davis would I ever consider and this as likely as us discovering martians living under the red planet. Really upset for sure!

Yep. If we also manage to land Hayward too, that gives us not one, but TWO legitimate scorers.

Much more balanced offense and some less pressure on just Isaiah.

Still would need to find a way to add front court help (which is where a trade is possible).

But even if we whiff on Griffin/Hayward, add Fultz, add some short-term front court help and keep on rolling.

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 12:25:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would be FUMING. I don't think anyone would do that though, let alone DA.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 12:26:10 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I'd be really upset. There's no point picking first if you're not selecting Fultz. It just doesn't make sense.
- LilRip

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 12:29:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I'd be really upset. There's no point picking first if you're not selecting Fultz. It just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, plus Ball is not even taking a workout here. He's #2 in my board.

I know it hasn't stopped the team before, but this situation is a lot more dramatic lol.

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 12:33:34 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

I know it hasn't stopped the team before, but this situation is a lot more dramatic lol.

Ball reminds me of the Kobe draft where he told some teams he did not want to play for them. But the key difference is that Kobe is much better prospect then Ball in my eyes but I still would have liked Ainge to see him up close and personal just to make sure of that factor!

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 12:37:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Ball reminds me of the Kobe draft where he told some teams he did not want to play for them. But the key difference is that Kobe is much better prospect then Ball in my eyes but I still would have liked Ainge to see him up close and personal just to make sure of that factor!

Magic is going to take his Ball and go home  ;D

Yup

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 12:39:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Magic is going to take his Ball and go home  ;D

I can't wait to see LaVar vs. Magic clash with each other over playing time, etc..

Anyone who thinks LaVar will stop after the Draft is delusional  ::)

Hell, I'd LOVE to see them pick someone other than Lonzo LOL.

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 12:52:13 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
You have the #1 draft pick. You have the best prospect in the draft. It does not matter if you have a logjam at guard (to me), that's why you get rid of the other guards to draft MARKELLE FULTZ.

I am willing to in a heartbeat trade away Avery Bradley, Rozier, or Smart etc and let Fultz develop and become our franchise guy. Then do something in free agency to fill in the C's voids.

I'll be really upset if he trades down or drafts Lonzo Ball. Only way I will accept Ainge NOT drafting Fultz is if he's flipping the pick for Anthony Davis.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 12:53:40 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'm not kidding myself, I'm certainly not the evaluator of talent that Danny is. Me seeing film footage, and Danny seeing live action in a workout is quite a different thing.

Yeah, I would be upset if we passed on Fultz for sure, but if he in fact turned into a Wall, Harden, or Westbrook...I would be wild.  :'(

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 01:00:28 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I would be furious.

Ainge may not love Fultz, but if he actually keeps the #1 pick, then he has to choose him. Otherwise, he needs to trade down in the draft (or out) and pick up other significant assets while still getting the guy he wants.

Simply making the pick and not taking Fultz would be an utter disaster as the #1 pick salary scale is already making it tight signing a max fa.
Ainge is not stupid.  He isn't going to bypass a better player because of team fit.  While I would be surprised, if DA picks someone else it is because he feels that other player is better.  And I'm not one to mess around or try to trade back.  This ain't the NFL anyway.

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 01:06:14 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Tough to be upset when nobody knows who will be the best. It's a crap shoot.

Who would be upset with a player like Tatum for example ? The guy could have it all for what we know.

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 01:08:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I would be furious.

Ainge is not stupid.  He isn't going to bypass a better player because of team fit.  While I would be surprised, if DA picks someone else it is because he feels that other player is better.  And I'm not one to mess around or try to trade back.  This ain't the NFL anyway.

While I definitely want to take Fultz, trading back is pretty open and shut, in this case, if Danny has his eyes on Jackson, Tatum, or Fox (or whoever) as those three are guaranteed to be there at #3. Philly would kill to have Fultz and would add significant compensation - in addition to the #3 pick - to get him.

Again, I want to keep the pick, but I will be steaming if he takes a player at #1 who is not Fultz who he could have had a couple spots later. It just wouldn't make any sense in terms of value.