Author Topic: Turkey issues arrest warrant for Enes Kanter  (Read 1975 times)

Turkey issues arrest warrant for Enes Kanter
« on: May 28, 2017, 11:39:42 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2712016-enes-kanter-arrest-sought-by-turkey-for-alleged-involvement-in-terror-group?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

The Turkish government has accused him of terrorism and issued and arrest warrant for him. This is a BS accusation basically stemming from his twitter activity speaking against the current government. Is there any chance he is extradited and goes to prison over this? The U.S. has a good relationship with Turkey, they may not be inclined to protect him.

Re: Turkey issues arrest warrant for Enes Kanter
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 11:45:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I remember there being a story outlining how his father disowned him, or something like that (if my memory serves me well), but this has escalated to a level I don't think anyone anticipated.

I can't imagine him being extradited, but that may be more due to hope and concern for his safety than anything.

It would be such a strange situation, seeing a high profile athlete being convicted of terror charges. However, in this circumstance (due to Turkey's not so pristine record), a conviction would not indicate guilt at all.

Strange strange world we're living in.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 11:46:08 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I am surprised Trump hasn't kicked him out yet  :police:

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 11:47:24 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I remember there being a story outlining how his father disowned him, or something like that (if my memory serves me well), but this has escalated to a level I don't think anyone anticipated.

I can't imagine him being extradited, but that may be more due to hope and concern for his safety than anything.

It would be such a strange situation, seeing a high profile athlete being convicted of terror charges. However, in this circumstance (due to Turkey's not so pristine record), a conviction would not indicate guilt at all.

Strange strange world we're living in.

Agreed

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 11:49:27 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
and again, turkey's government is using "terrorism" as a political weapon, not a real concern over security. so many others stand similarly accused of this crime, not for their actions but for their words and thoughts.

and turkey's government is not alone in these manipulations.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 11:58:54 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
More like "corrupt Turkish government issues arrest warrant"...

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 12:01:15 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Decades of False politics... Politics of hate... Erdogan at some time will fall..( all politicians who use dictators politics fall)  but in the end turkey will be a land where brothers arrested brothers...  That happens when you use religion in politics.. There are two turkeys now.. The Islamic and the cosmic.. If you add that USA want a land for the kurds it will have a bad ending there

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 12:01:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Pretty much. A corrupt Turkish government that the US supports though. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 12:56:08 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
There is no way he gets extradited, especially considering the guy who is accused of inciting the uprisings hasn't even been extradited.

His family disowning him is as much for their safety as anything else.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 01:01:53 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Pretty much. A corrupt Turkish government that the US supports though. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Turkey had always Washington's support and they  have been getting away with everything they ve done.... Countries have been bombed for much less....

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 05:17:37 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Turkey had always Washington's support and they  have been getting away with everything they ve done.... Countries have been bombed for much less....
Turkey have a lot of leverage right now over Europe and by extension the US with the refugee 'situation'. Good time to be Erdogan

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 07:22:12 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Scary.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 07:42:13 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
The BiG House in Turkey might not be overnight stay at the Hilton

I guess this means he won't represent Turkey in the Olympics ...?

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 10:21:02 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Decades of False politics... Politics of hate... Erdogan at some time will fall..( all politicians who use dictators politics fall)  but in the end turkey will be a land where brothers arrested brothers...  That happens when you use religion in politics.. There are two turkeys now.. The Islamic and the cosmic.. If you add that USA want a land for the kurds it will have a bad ending there
Do you think the Kurds should have their own land. They seem to forgotten people and man they fight hard.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek