Author Topic: Carmello  (Read 5759 times)

Re: Carmello
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 12:37:14 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Mmmm ;D.

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 04:53:27 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Simply don't want his contract.  And he is 33 years old now.  33!

People complaining about paying IT4 want to line up to pay Carmelo.

What do they put in the water, because this is just insane talk people!

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 04:57:57 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I just don't get it.

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 04:59:54 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Yes, Melo is demonstrably on the decline. PER, however, is not the way to demonstrate this.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 05:19:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Simply don't want his contract.

I agree. TP

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 05:26:13 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Mmmm ;D.

Add the extra L for Lifetime Loser (at least in the NBA  ;) )
Yup

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 05:30:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

He is getting paid $26.2M next year and then $27.9M in 2018-19, and that's it. He only has two years left on his contract and if we are pretending to go for it sans Hayward or Blake, then it doesn't seem like too much of a commitment.

It would also allow us to keep most of our current players (if desired) as the 2018-19 season would be the only one where we would be pushing into the luxury tax. After that season, Carmelo and possibly Horford (player option) are off the books.

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 05:31:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

Mmmm ;D.

Would Pierce have been any different if KG/Ray didn't miraculously join the Cs?

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 05:32:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

He is getting paid $26.2M next year and then $27.9M in 2018-19, and that's it. He only has two years left on his contract and if we are pretending to go for it sans Hayward or Blake, then it doesn't seem like too much of a commitment.

It would also allow us to keep most of our current players (if desired) as the 2018-19 season would be the only one where we would be pushing into the luxury tax. After that season, Carmelo and Horford (player option) are off the books.

Carmelo apparently has a 15% trade kicker though, so those values pretty much become 30-31M/Year for the next two years anyways.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 05:39:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Mmmm ;D.

Would Pierce have been any different if KG/Ray didn't miraculously join the Cs?
Nope.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2017, 05:46:50 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

It would also allow us to keep most of our current players (if desired) as the 2018-19 season would be the only one where we would be pushing into the luxury tax. After that season, Carmelo and Horford (player option) are off the books.

Carmelo apparently has a 15% trade kicker though, so those values pretty much become 30-31M/Year for the next two years anyways.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that - tp. I thought I read somewhere that because of his ETO next year that the trade kicker would only apply to the upcoming season's salary - making it $30.3M - and the next year would remain at $27.9. Don't hold me to that, though - I could totally be making that up.

At the end of the day, I would much rather sign Hayward (#1) or Blake (#2).

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 09:58:51 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

Questions about whether the kicker applies to the final year of the contract aside, that's still just a two-year deal at the second-tier max (and with a good season it may be a one-year deal). You'd probably wind up paying Gallo an identical amount if you wanted him to take a similarly short contract.

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 10:35:18 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I've been someone who is very anti-Carmelo when it comes to trying to build a winning team.

But at this point I think he could really help out the Celtics. I'd much prefer to see him shooting instead of Crowder, etc.

One other thing to really consider here - who is our biggest obstacle to getting back to the Finals?... Lebron.  And I recall reading an interview with Lebron where he ranked Carmelo the hardest to guard in the league (for him) due to Carmelo's lower body strength, footwork, etc.  Originally this was mentioned in 2012  but again in 2016:

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/2016/08/18/lebron-james-names-the-hardest-player-to-guard-in-the-nba-today/

Kobe had stated this in 2012:  https://www.si.com/si-wire/2012/12/13/kobe-bryant-carmelo-anthony-lebron-james-toughest-player-guard-knicks

Obviously 2012 is awhile ago, but if Lebron thought this in the past 1 to 2 years then it's something to consider.  Regarding Carmelo's defense, he has the tools & body to be a decent defender, and I think Stevens would absolutely hold him accountable.

In some ways I'd rather take a 2-year rental on Carmelo than tie up a ton of cap space to Hayward long term.

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2017, 10:46:19 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I've been someone who is very anti-Carmelo when it comes to trying to build a winning team.

But at this point I think he could really help out the Celtics. I'd much prefer to see him shooting instead of Crowder, etc.

One other thing to really consider here - who is our biggest obstacle to getting back to the Finals?... Lebron.  And I recall reading an interview with Lebron where he ranked Carmelo the hardest to guard in the league (for him) due to Carmelo's lower body strength, footwork, etc.  Originally this was mentioned in 2012  but again in 2016:

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/2016/08/18/lebron-james-names-the-hardest-player-to-guard-in-the-nba-today/

Kobe had stated this in 2012:  https://www.si.com/si-wire/2012/12/13/kobe-bryant-carmelo-anthony-lebron-james-toughest-player-guard-knicks

Obviously 2012 is awhile ago, but if Lebron thought this in the past 1 to 2 years then it's something to consider.  Regarding Carmelo's defense, he has the tools & body to be a decent defender, and I think Stevens would absolutely hold him accountable.

In some ways I'd rather take a 2-year rental on Carmelo than tie up a ton of cap space to Hayward long term.

This is basically my thoughts as well, TP for your insight.

While Carmelo has never really dominated Lebron head to head, he's still put up good numbers.

My reasoning is Carmelo would fit more within our time frame, and I feel like even though he's been labeled as a chucker, his ability to score, and put the ball in the bucket while being a mid range threat gives IT and Horford a lot more room to operate.

You guys are talking about his trade kicker, like you're paying for him lol.

He'll expire in 2 years, which gives us more flexibility, plus at least gives us a secondary scorer next to Horford and IT.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The time to have made a trade for Carmelo was at the past trade deadline, where Danny could have used Amir Johnson's contract to help match salaries. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe a team is allowed to combine other players in a sign and trade, to help match salaries. So unless a third team is involved, I don't see how trading for Carmelo is even possible, while still holding onto our core pieces.

Count me as someone who would like to see him in green. A change in scenery, and going to a winning environment, would help him tremendously.