Author Topic: Does anyone follow high school ball/ college recruiting ?  (Read 4516 times)

Re: Does anyone follow high school ball/ college recruiting ?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Did anyone watch the Peach Jam final yesterday or any of the Peach Jam games this summer?

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 02:32:55 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Did anyone watch the Peach Jam final yesterday or any of the Peach Jam games this summer?

I haven't watched any games, however, I have seen some footage and read that Marvin Bagley is dominating and solidifying his spot at #1 in his class.

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 02:37:37 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Here's a great article I found on Marvin Bagley and this years Peach Jam: https://sports.yahoo.com/four-things-learned-peach-jam-145259042.html

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 03:22:01 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I have a quick question to anyone who follows recruiting for D1 basketball.

There was a rumor earlier this year that Marvin Bagley iii was going to reclassify to the class of 2017.

What's the latest update?

Thank you.

All observers now expect him to re-classify. One less year to wait for that 1st overall money. He's visiting Duke this week I believe. AZ and USC are also on the list I think. Duke seems to be the betting favorite.

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 03:35:25 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Apparently this Marvin Bagley re-classifying story has more legs than I first realized:

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/07/marvin_bagley_potential_no_1_p.html

I'd love to have a shot at him with the in '18 with the Nets pick.

If this is legit, it makes the consolation prizes Doncic, Porter and Ayton....thats a nutty scenario lol.
There's a scenario where the Lakers suck and get you #2 pick, nets suck and get you #1 pick, and Danny trades down from #1 to 3 and 4 and grabs somehow all 3 of those guys. Lol if that happens, you build a statue for ainge and don't look back

We've been so spoiled with these high lottery picks that we all the prospects for ourselves lol

I feel like we would have to consolidate haha. There is only so much talent one team can have before toes are stepped on.

LOL. I think if we were luck enough, you'd be thrilled with one of Bagley/Porter as the PF of the future and then Doncic. That would give is 2 big scorers at the forward spots, a primary ballhandler to run the offence, with Brown and Zizic as the defenders/rebounders/score when needed guys. That seems like a balanced team that could work and could be affordable going forward..

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 03:36:22 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Bagley does not have the defensive potential of a AD/KAT.  For example, Tatum, MPJ, and Bagley are all in the same realm length wise, wingspan and standing reach, while AD (7'5.5'' wingspan and 9' standing reach) and Towns (9'5'' standing reach and 7'3'' wingspan) posses elite length for the 4/5 with great basketball abilities...obv length is just another variable and if a guy can play then he can play.

Bagley does have great offensive versatility and should be very good offensively.

We are lucky with Tatum and possibly are underrating him compared to MPJ bc they both have almost the same wingspan and standing reach.

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 04:16:02 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Bagley does not have the defensive potential of a AD/KAT.  For example, Tatum, MPJ, and Bagley are all in the same realm length wise, wingspan and standing reach, while AD (7'5.5'' wingspan and 9' standing reach) and Towns (9'5'' standing reach and 7'3'' wingspan) posses elite length for the 4/5 with great basketball abilities...obv length is just another variable and if a guy can play then he can play.

Bagley does have great offensive versatility and should be very good offensively.

We are lucky with Tatum and possibly are underrating him compared to MPJ bc they both have almost the same wingspan and standing reach.

I don't know much about MPJ, but he seems more athletic than Tatum but with a similar skill set.  Would you agree?

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 05:01:52 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

I don't know much about MPJ, but he seems more athletic than Tatum but with a similar skill set.  Would you agree?
It's hard to say for sure. Tatum is only 2 months older than MPJ and hopefully he gets stronger/ more physically mature in the next 1-2 years....that's huge. Tatum has shown an insane level of footwork and turn-around, step-back, and fade-away w/ hands in his face and everything and he still has like around 12 weeks to get ready for the RS.

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 10:58:08 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

It's hard to say for sure. Tatum is only 2 months older than MPJ and hopefully he gets stronger/ more physically mature in the next 1-2 years....that's huge. Tatum has shown an insane level of footwork and turn-around, step-back, and fade-away w/ hands in his face and everything and he still has like around 12 weeks to get ready for the RS.

Having seen them both I will say yes only in the sense of how they get most of their baskets which is via a jumpshot. Porter is more explosive, a face up player, and a guy that likes to elevate for his jumper. Just straight up shoot over guys. He is a guy that you can throw an opp to. Straight line drive type of guy. A little stiff in the hips. He is more of the Tmac type of explosive scorer. You know the type that on a give night could score 40 or 50.

Tatum is more craft. Can play face up but does like to play with his back to the basket. Will shoot alot of jumpers but uses skill to get the shot rather than just straight up jump over you to get it. Tatum is more Pierce type of scorer. The steady 20 -25 guy. You dont worry about this guy getting 50 or 60 on you so much but you worry about the steady scoring and clutch shot making.

All in all I guess they have more similarities than I initially gave them credit for but I dont see them having an issue playing together.