Author Topic: Fultz may be a horrible defender  (Read 8270 times)

Re: Fultz may be a horrible defender
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2017, 08:26:00 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Give this kid a break! defense is something you can learn if you have the tools and motive
that's the least concern for me

James Young says hi

Took him 2-3 seasons to kind of get it on the defensive end..

Brown jumped over him in year 1 because of his defensive intensity

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2017, 08:37:20 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Garbage analysis full of hyperbole.

Did Fultz give 100% on defense on a regular basis? Nope, neither did any other player on an awful team with nothing to play for but pride who had to carry his team offensively. But you don't get 39 steals and 30 blocks in 25 games if you're dogging it constantly. One analyst I heard discussing Ball's defense said you don't really criticize it when the environment of the program doesn't stress defense. Same thing applies to Fultz.

De'aaron Fox couldn't carry Fultz's gym bag. Some of you are talking about trading away the #1 pick, an elite offensive player with all the skills to be a great defender also, for a guy who shoots like Rondo. Bizarro world.

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2017, 09:57:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Give this kid a break! defense is something you can learn if you have the tools and motive

It is all dependent on his mindset.   Defense takes a mental commitment to do it well.   I think he has the tools physically so is really comes down to his mental commitment and attitude.   

There are a ton of all stars who stink on D, but still are great players.   Curry comes to mind.  IT is another example.  Harden is yet another folks.  They do just fine.

I still think Ainge may trade the pick for an elite 4 if he can.

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2017, 09:59:45 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Did Fultz give 100% on defense on a regular basis? Nope, neither did any other player on an awful team with nothing to play for but pride who had to carry his team offensively. But you don't get 39 steals and 30 blocks in 25 games if you're dogging it constantly. One analyst I heard discussing Ball's defense said you don't really criticize it when the environment of the program doesn't stress defense. Same thing applies to Fultz.

De'aaron Fox couldn't carry Fultz's gym bag. Some of you are talking about trading away the #1 pick, an elite offensive player with all the skills to be a great defender also, for a guy who shoots like Rondo. Bizarro world.

So basically he lacks leadership skills is what you are saying?

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2017, 10:01:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

So basically he lacks leadership skills is what you are saying?
How is that remotely what was said?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2017, 10:05:27 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

It is all dependent on his mindset.   Defense takes a mental commitment to do it well.   I think he has the tools physically so is really comes down to his mental commitment and attitude.   

There are a ton of all stars who stink on D, but still are great players.   Curry comes to mind.  IT is another example.  Harden is yet another folks.  They do just fine.

I still think Ainge may trade the pick for an elite 4 if he can.

exactly

its not just about physical tools... half of it is mental/attitude aspect

all you can hope with Fultz is that he didn't really try.........but will once drafted

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2017, 11:53:57 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
This is part of the reason why I'd be pretty happy trade #1 to the 76ers for Ben Simmons.

Not that Simmons was exactly known for being a beast on defence (lack of effort was a criticism for him too), but he never looked as bad as Fultz does at times, and at least Simmons has versatility on his side - he can defend 5 positions which is a big benefit in the P&R.

I really like Fultz a LOT, but I remain concerned by this question:
"How is Fultz going to impact games when his shot isn't falling?"

Is he going to be able to find other ways to make an impact? 

And if his defence does remain this bad, who do with choose between he and IT?  Because we woldn't be able to win games with two defenders who are THAT bad on the court at once, and Thomas at least has his 29 PPG to overcome his defensive limitations - will Fultz likely won't average for at least 4 or 5 years (if ever).

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2017, 12:04:56 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
These threats are becoming boring...  Same guys were saying that Randle would have a better impact than smart, that brown has no game just a physical beast..  if ainge takes him I am sure he will have an impact.. And a big one

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2017, 12:14:25 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
These threats are becoming boring...  Same guys were saying that Randle would have a better impact than smart, that brown has no game just a physical beast..  if ainge takes him I am sure he will have an impact.. And a big one

To be fair I called from day one that Randle would be an epic bust.  He hasn't quite been an epic bust, but he's been pretty crap.

Though I was a bit 50/50 on Brown.  I felt he would be a starting calibre SF in time, but wasn't sure if he'd ever be better then that.  To be sure the jury is still out on that, so I'm not wrong yet!

I think Fultz is going to be an amazing player, but the defensive question marks to worry me a little bit.

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2017, 12:22:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

To be fair I called from day one that Randle would be an epic bust.  He hasn't quite been an epic bust, but he's been pretty crap.

Though I was a bit 50/50 on Brown.  I felt he would be a starting calibre SF in time, but wasn't sure if he'd ever be better then that.  To be sure the jury is still out on that, so I'm not wrong yet!

I think Fultz is going to be an amazing player, but the defensive question marks to worry me a little bit.

Worry 1st- that cbs may not even play him if he cant play defense

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2017, 12:30:23 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Honestly, this is why im NOT worried.

Markelle Fultz has the physical tools to be a good defender. Brad will force him to prioritize defense because without it he wont get on the court.

This is the number 1 perk of going to a competitive team. These guys cant get away with just not playing defense. Take Andrew Wiggins. He had the tools to be good, but its not like Minnesota wasnt gonna give the guy 30 mpg anyway so has just gone his whole career so far without playing a lick of defense.

That would be a legitimate concern for Fultz if hed gone to a ****ty team, but Boston is going to force him to fix his defense.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2017, 10:46:37 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Markelle Fultz has the physical tools to be a good defender. Brad will force him to prioritize defense because without it he wont get on the court.

This is the number 1 perk of going to a competitive team. These guys cant get away with just not playing defense. Take Andrew Wiggins. He had the tools to be good, but its not like Minnesota wasnt gonna give the guy 30 mpg anyway so has just gone his whole career so far without playing a lick of defense.

That would be a legitimate concern for Fultz if hed gone to a ****ty team, but Boston is going to force him to fix his defense.

Yeah, I mean it's not like Wiggins is being coached by some defensive guru or anything ;) ;D.

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2017, 10:59:00 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
I didn't think Fultz fad any weaknesses they way he gets portrayed on this board.

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2017, 11:05:01 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Yeah, I mean it's not like Wiggins is being coached by some defensive guru or anything ;) ;D.
Yeah sure but the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.tiness of that roster hamstrings thibs.

He can stress defense all day long but he can't afford to really bench Wiggins.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2017, 12:34:58 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Yeah sure but the ****tiness of that roster hamstrings thibs.

He can stress defense all day long but he can't afford to really bench Wiggins.

Yeah, Towns, Wiggins, Lavine, Dieng, Rubio, Dunn, Muhammed, etc.  What an atrocious roster (sarcasm) ::).  The real problem they have is that three of their best players at the most critical of positions in SG, SF, and C play absolutely no defense, and the only guys that do get it Dunn ;) are Kris, Rubio, and Dieng (to an extent, anyway), plus Muhammed does actually try, per their game threads. 

I know that people will look at them and chalk them up as the classic example of how young teams don't win in the NBA, but I disagree - young teams who don't play defense don't win, imo, which is what we're seeing in Minnesota right now.  Lavine never guarded anyone, Wiggins coasts, can't impact the game without scoring, and exacerbates the club's defensive problems by almost never rebounding, and Towns, for all of his talent, might put up the numbers of a number one guy but just doesn't have the demeanor to be that leader on or off the court, plus his defense sucks.  Really the only dude with that dog in him on that team is Kris Dunn, imo :-\.