Author Topic: Fultz may be a horrible defender  (Read 8285 times)

Re: Fultz may be a horrible defender
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 11:42:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
When asked about Fultz in his exit interview, Jaylen Brown made a great comment about the importance of defense:

Quote from: Jaylen Brown
I think he's pretty good.  He has a lot of talent and potential.  I'm interested to see what he can do on the defensive side of the ball.  That's how you win games in the NBA is through defense.  He's super talented offensively but it's going to be a balance between everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMIsPQVc62I

That's especially interesting given that one of the biggest knocks against Brown, iirc, was that he had the physical tools to be a good defender but tended to lose focus and ball watch on that end of the floor, right?

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 11:44:20 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Give this kid a break! defense is something you can learn if you have the tools and motive
that's the least concern for me

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 12:11:05 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Not concerned in the least.  Dude was carrying the entire team at Washington.  Had to conserve somewhere.  Also, it's me thing to be a below average defender (like Harden).  It's another thing entirely to be completely overmatched physically (like IT).  A guy that has the physical tools can bear down when it matters.  Someone like IT simply cannot.

So let's stop overthinking this.  Fultz is the total package offensively.  All the rest of the guys in the top five have a lot more questions than fultz.

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 12:12:23 AM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
When asked about Fultz in his exit interview, Jaylen Brown made a great comment about the importance of defense:

Quote from: Jaylen Brown
I think he's pretty good.  He has a lot of talent and potential.  I'm interested to see what he can do on the defensive side of the ball.  That's how you win games in the NBA is through defense.  He's super talented offensively but it's going to be a balance between everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMIsPQVc62I

Translation: Kid can score but he's clearly gonna get torched on the other end. Jaylen knows what's coming up. Good to see Fultz will go to a team that's got to earn the PT and touches. Playing D and rebounding comes first

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 12:27:34 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Guys think Josh Jackson can fix his shot but Fultz can't change the position of his arms on defense.......

Fultz is the 2nd longest PG in history(2000) drafted in the lotto and 3rd if you count the entire 1st round. He does not just have the ability to be an elite on ball defender but will also be a terror in the passing lanes.

I mentioned his defensive stance and the position of his arms (backwards) in several posts this week. It makes him unbalanced and unathletic while defending on ball or in isolation. Ultimately the positioning of his arms (backwards) may even already be fixed and if not it will soon. This is not like fixing a shot, not even in the same realm.

The arm position on D will be fixed by Summer League IMO. The kid is a gym rat and has been living in the weight room...and it shows. He has shown the ability to learn quickly and he has the best resources and trainers available to him....and he will eventually have the Celtic's resources and coaching.

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 12:37:04 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Not concerned in the least.  Dude was carrying the entire team at Washington.  Had to conserve somewhere.  Also, it's me thing to be a below average defender (like Harden).  It's another thing entirely to be completely overmatched physically (like IT).  A guy that has the physical tools can bear down when it matters.  Someone like IT simply cannot.

So let's stop overthinking this.  Fultz is the total package offensively.  All the rest of the guys in the top five have a lot more questions than fultz.
IDK fixing and rebuilding your entire jump shot is probably easier than changing the position of your arms on defense....lol.

Fultz is a gym rat and he has lived in the weight room since his season ended. He is known for making big strides and he has a lot of resources at his disposal to train and get better.

By Summer League I think we see a YUUUGE improvement in D....especially since he won't have to ever carry a team offensively again with the Celtics.

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 12:37:44 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
AB is a great defender but it didn't stop Kyrie from eating his lunch when it mattered most. You need someone that can put the ball in the hoop in winning time more so than a juggernaut defender. Fultz has the tools to improve that aspect of his game which I expect he will.

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 12:41:23 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He wasn't exactly in a situation that would encourage him to try to play defense.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 12:47:51 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
There's some risk he becomes Harden on defense, but really the only way he gets away with that IS if he's also Harden on offense. And no risk he becomes IT-level bad on D.

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2017, 12:55:40 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
There's some risk he becomes Harden on defense, but really the only way he gets away with that IS if he's also Harden on offense. And no risk he becomes IT-level bad on D.

Even if he doesn't care?  Personally, I can't stand James Harden.  The guy is one of the least enjoyable players to watch, imo.

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2017, 03:20:27 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
AB is a great defender but it didn't stop Kyrie from eating his lunch when it mattered most. You need someone that can put the ball in the hoop in winning time more so than a juggernaut defender. Fultz has the tools to improve that aspect of his game which I expect he will.
This, does it make a difference? sure, but does it really matter? I don't see it
Buter and Beal also had terrible night but it seems it's just an off day for them more than shut down by AB..

like when you having an off day you can miss wide open jumper/lay up, even dunkers
and when you are on there really no one can stop you

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2017, 06:35:06 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
He wasn't exactly in a situation that would encourage him to try to play defense.
The numbskulls eager to throw away talent and do a video game trade ignore reason when it comes to common sense and Fultz.

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2017, 06:54:16 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Complete crap analysis.
Dude is 6'4" with 6'10" wingspan, natural above average NBA athleticism and a very, very solid work ethic.

There is zero chance he's a bad defender. Playing for us he has the chance to become a great defender.

He's 18 years old and has never had to play defense in his life because he's such a prodigical scoring machine.
Collge has shown him the importance of good D seeing his team getting beat even with his amazing scoring.

Anyway , watch some interviews of this guy.
He's like a less hood upbringing version of Marcus Smart.
He wants to be great.
He understands the high pick and roll better than most average NBA players, he'll soon understand how important defense is and he'll bust his ass to be a great defender.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 07:05:56 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
He's 6'4" and a half wit 6'10" wingspan. He's not Isaiah, he has the tools and he will learn.

I remember people saying how bad was Jaylen Brown defending when he came to the league, and he ended up being a substitute for defensive plays in May.

TP Chambers my friend, hadn't seen your previous post and you say more or less the same.

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2017, 07:39:51 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Complete crap analysis.
Dude is 6'4" with 6'10" wingspan, natural above average NBA athleticism and a very, very solid work ethic.

There is zero chance he's a bad defender. Playing for us he has the chance to become a great defender.

He's 18 years old and has never had to play defense in his life because he's such a prodigical scoring machine.
Collge has shown him the importance of good D seeing his team getting beat even with his amazing scoring.

Anyway , watch some interviews of this guy.
He's like a less hood upbringing version of Marcus Smart.
He wants to be great.
He understands the high pick and roll better than most average NBA players, he'll soon understand how important defense is and he'll bust his ass to be a great defender.
No. An accurate assessment of the poor defense he played in college.  He could get better defensively but it is far from assured.  Romar was certainly a lousy coach so good coaching ought to help.  If he's got a very solid work ethic, it would be good if he started applying it to defense.  His size and athleticism didn't make him a good defender against college players and the level of competition is about to get much, much tougher.  Harden is 6'5" with a 6'10" wingspan and a good athlete but he's still a craptastic defender.