Author Topic: Fultz may be a horrible defender  (Read 8332 times)

Fultz may be a horrible defender
« on: May 27, 2017, 09:33:01 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

This is from that Duncan podcast.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/duncdon/2017/05/24/boscle-game-4-news-markelle-fultz-scouting-report

Not the end of the world but I do think it's important to know his weaknesses too. He said that he's seen most of every play he ran lay season, and he might have seen him in a defensive stance once. Ouch.

He's still 18 til the end of the month, he has time to fix it, but it is a big concern.

Things to think of. Fultz and Thomas would be terrible short term defensively.

Me might wanna keep Bradley to guard smaller quick players at least for a while.

He's got fantastic tools, and those chase down blocks give some hope. Hey, it's the only bad news about the kid so far. No one has demanded him to play D like Stevens will.

Re: Fultz may be a horrible defender
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 09:37:38 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

He went as far to say he's the worst guard defender he's seen in years. He didn't really explain if he meant just top prospects, or what.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 09:50:26 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Yeah I heard this podcast as well.  Definitely something worth noting. 

I'm starting to hope we trade the pick for a young, but proven asset. 

My dream is still #1 to Philly for #3, Saric, and LA 2018.  Probably asking for too much but I would take that in a heartbeat.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 10:00:07 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

My dream is still #1 to Philly for #3, Saric, and LA 2018.  Probably asking for too much but I would take that in a heartbeat.

Come on bro. Show some faith! Everybody has a wart or two.

This kid has truly incredible upside.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 01:58:52 PM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 10:06:44 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Ha,ha,ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha... I guess we have officially entered the offseason now.  ;D

If ainge doesn't do a trade, Fultz will be selected at number one, and he will be a fabulous NBA player.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 10:07:47 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
To be fair he basically carried his awful Washington team... saved most of his energy for the offensive end.

He has the physical tools to be a good defender, and he'll learn on this team that he'll only get mins if he plays defense. I have to think he'll put it together.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 10:09:29 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
My money is that he'll be a fine defender. Not tops for his position but definitely not a sieve like Harden.
- LilRip

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 10:12:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Right now he's an average to poor defender. He's got the tools to be very good. Let's keep our expectations low for his rookie year, and hope that he works hard to improve.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 10:13:39 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford

Come on bro. Show some faih! Everybody has a wart or two.

Haha thanks for shoving me back in the right direction.

It's just nerve racking to think about the number 1 pick.  So many what if scenarios!

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 10:21:06 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Fultz being a poor defender shouldn't come as a surprise.  People who are talking about his defensive potential are likely to be disappointed.  I'd be happy if he eventually becomes an average defender.  I saw some interview where he was asked what he'd bring to the team.  He talked about being able to create with the ball but also play off the ball but he also threw in chase down blocks.  Chase down blocks are nice ESPN highlights but they aren't indicative of being a good defender. 

Fultz is lucky that Washington didn't play Kentucky.  Fox would have torched him.   

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 10:28:30 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
When asked about Fultz in his exit interview, Jaylen Brown made a great comment about the importance of defense:

Quote from: Jaylen Brown
I think he's pretty good.  He has a lot of talent and potential.  I'm interested to see what he can do on the defensive side of the ball.  That's how you win games in the NBA is through defense.  He's super talented offensively but it's going to be a balance between everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMIsPQVc62I
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 10:44:04 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Fultz's chase down blocks are amazing.

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 10:44:41 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

It's just nerve racking to think about the number 1 pick.  So many what if scenarios!
Your dream trade is mine too.  Fox or Jackson at #3 could well end up better than Fultz.  Don't have to be concerned about their defense.  Having a good chance at two top 5 picks next year would be really nice.  Saric isn't going to be a star but he's a very good, hard working role player who would be a solid contributor.     

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 10:57:24 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford

Your dream trade is mine too.  Fox or Jackson at #3 could well end up better than Fultz.  Don't have to be concerned about their defense.  Having a good chance at two top 5 picks next year would be really nice.  Saric isn't going to be a star but he's a very good, hard working role player who would be a solid contributor.   

Yeah I like Fox a lot.  More and more with each highlight clip and interview.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 11:38:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
concerning...

he made some nice end to end type blocks in the season... .but the nitty gritty type effort looked inconsistent.  Watch the game vs ucla

He went under PNRs/ didn't fight through screens,  didn't box out (considering his size)

I don't know...will CBS/Danny be patient regarding these things.... considering his offensive skill level.