Would you trade IT for Isaiah Canaan?

Yes, no-brainer
4 (20%)
Depends on sweetener
1 (5%)
No, that's irrational
15 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: *New* IT trade idea  (Read 2847 times)

*New* IT trade idea
« on: May 27, 2017, 08:51:18 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Hey guys.  Yes, yet another IT trade idea.  But please hear me out, as I think this is significantly more reasonable and better for the Celtics.

IT is pretty good, but he's short.  We can't win a championship with him as our best player.  And it's not possible to sign him as one of a big 3, resembling the make-up of the other contenders of the ~last 9 years in the league, because. 

So, it's time to move on.  His talent can fairly easily be replaced.  I know a lot of posters want a lottery pick for him.  Maybe we could get a mid-first from a playoff-bound team.  But I doubt many GMs around the league think he's even worth that.  He's super short.

There is one comparably talented player in the league though -- Isaiah Canaan -- that can probably fill IT's void without much (if any) drop-off next season.  Isaiah is a very good 3 point shooter (career: 35%) and has posted fairly impressive win-shares (career: 3.6). 

Game 3 showed us that the Celtics are just as good without IT as they are with him, maybe even better because of defense.  If that's true, we add 3.6 wins to a 53 win team as early as next season.  That'd likely land us the #1 seed again.

Canaan is also way younger -- 26 years old -- and significantly taller at 6'0".  He was the 34th overall pick (IT was 60) and is locked in at an awesome $1.5mil next season.  So we don't have to pay IT in his twilight years, won't experience much drop-off, and then have plenty of cap space to go after Hayward.  Pretty sure Gordon wouldn't mind joining that Big 3.

So, what do you say?  Trade IT for Canaan?  Or try to trick a dumb organization like Philly into trading an elite big (Saric?) for IT?  Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 10:46:40 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: *New* IT trade idea
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 08:53:56 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
What did games 1, 2, 4, and 5 show?

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 08:56:09 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Hey guys.  Yes, yet another IT trade idea.  But please hear me out, as I think this is significantly more reasonable and better for the Celtics.

IT is pretty good, but he's short.  We can't win a championship with him as our best player.  And it's not possible to sign him as one of a big 3, resembling the make-up of the other contenders of the ~last 9 years in the league, because. 

So, it's time to move on.  His talent can fairly easily be replaced.  I know a lot of posters want a lottery pick for him.  Maybe we could get a mid-first from a playoff-bound team.  But I doubt many GMs around the league think he's even worth that.  He's super short.

There is one comparably talented player in the league though -- Isaiah Canaan -- that can probably fill IT's void without much (if any) drop-off next season.  Isaiah is a very good 3 point shooter (career: 35%) and has posted fairly impressive win-shares (career: 3.6). 

Game 3 showed us that the Celtics are just as good without IT as they are with him, maybe even better because of defense.  If that's true, we add 3.6 wins to a 53 win team as early as next season.  That'd likely land us the #1 seed again.

Canaan is also way younger -- 26 years old -- and significantly taller at 6'0".  He was the 34th overall pick (IT went undrafted) and is locked in at an awesome $1.5mil next season.  So we don't have to pay IT in his twilight years, won't experience much drop-off, and then have plenty of cap space to go after Hayward.  Pretty sure Gordon wouldn't mind joining that Big 3.

So, what do you say?  Trade IT for Canaan?  Or try to trick a dumb organization like Philly into trading an elite big (Saric?) for IT?  Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

;D

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 09:01:23 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
For Canan - are you serious? C'mon man.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 09:09:34 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I have to figure this whole thread is facetious so I voted that it was a no brainer.

If it turns out that tarheelsxxiii is actually serious then we need to call the men in the white coats.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 09:10:09 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
What did games 1, 2, 4, and 5 show?

He was good, but also short.  Championships are won by teams with elite two-way guards like Curry and Kyrie.  Prob Lillard and McCollum very soon.  Harden is about due.  And we don't have any elite two-way big men -- e.g., Love, Saric -- to offset his poor defense. 

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 09:14:19 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
For Canan - are you serious? C'mon man.

I guess I'm thinking outside the box here, but remember that he did score double digits (13 pts) in b2b playoff games against the Celtics. 

I have to figure this whole thread is facetious so I voted that it was a no brainer.

If it turns out that tarheelsxxiii is actually serious then we need to call the men in the white coats.

Ahh, definitely don't want to go back to that place. But I will if I'm wrong about this one. The poll will decide.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:26:24 PM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 09:25:35 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
That is definitely thinking "outside the universe".

You want to trade the player that got us to the 1 seed, the player that is probably #5 in MVP voting, the player that prefers to pickup free agents to help this team rather than want an extension this summer for the 4th string point guard on a bad team. That is BRILLIANT!

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 11:41:51 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Little disappointed by the lack of responses.  Looks like it's 3 to 1 in favor of not trading IT for Canaan, but interested to see what the late-night crowd thinks.  Sometimes a little liquid courage is all it takes to make a bold but great long-term decision. 

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 11:44:59 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Well, it's definitely a no-brainer ;), lol ;D.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 11:46:40 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Well, it's definitely a no-brainer ;), lol ;D.

Finally, someone gets it!  Please log your vote for poll validity, please and thank you.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 11:47:33 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
It would be funny if it wasn't insulting
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 11:50:51 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
It would be funny if it wasn't insulting

Canaan hasn't exactly proven himself either, though.  And IT is a good regular season player.  On the right team, he could be a 6th MOY candidate. 

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 12:06:32 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I find it interesting to look at it this way.

Say Canaan committee to playing no defense, and went uber mode offense on a team in a power vacuum. Now imagine said team went 1st in their conference while Canaan averaged absurd numbers. Does that make him as good as IT after that single season? Because as it stands the only things Canaan has over Thomas are age and a cool name.
#JKJB

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 12:13:43 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
I find it interesting to look at it this way.

Say Canaan committee to playing no defense, and went uber mode offense on a team in a power vacuum. Now imagine said team went 1st in their conference while Canaan averaged absurd numbers. Does that make him as good as IT after that single season? Because as it stands the only things Canaan has over Thomas are age and a cool name.

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for.  I don't mean a single word of what I wrote above, but I chose a potential trade target that I thought was on the farthest end of the spectrum of what the anti-IT crowd may entertain. 

Like most extremes, I find the anti-IT ideas absolutely fascinating.  As soon as he was compared to Eddie House, I had to probe further.  Can you fathom Canaan having a season comparable to IT's this year if he were given the opportunity?  I believe some posters would.