Author Topic: #20  (Read 4666 times)

« on: May 27, 2017, 07:54:24 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Not that it matters a great deal but I was wondering who will wear #20 next year?

Fultz wore #20 and it's logical that he'd keep wearing it.  But I I have a feeling we're going to sign Hayward.  Hayward wears #20.  I believe we give our draft picks numbers before FAs. So does Fultz keep #20 or does he give it up for the all star vet.  Giving it up would seem the obvious answer, but Fultz is going too be the much hyped #1 pick.  It's not uncommon for top picks to buy their number from vets, but then those vets aren't the type of player Hayward is. 

The best part of this question is regardless of the answer we'll disassociate the #20 from Ray Allen.

Incidentally Zizic wears #41, but if we keep KO I think there's no discussion over #41.

For some players their number is really really important to them.  So who gets #20?

Re: #20
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 08:05:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Not that it matters a great deal but I was wondering who will wear #20 next year?

Fultz wore #20 and it's logical that he'd keep wearing it.  But I I have a feeling we're going to sign Hayward.  Hayward wears #20.  I believe we give our draft picks numbers before FAs. So does Fultz keep #20 or does he give it up for the all star vet.  Giving it up would seem the obvious answer, but Fultz is going too be the much hyped #1 pick.  It's not uncommon for top picks to buy their number from vets, but then those vets aren't the type of player Hayward is. 

The best part of this question is regardless of the answer we'll disassociate the #20 from Ray Allen.

Incidentally Zizic wears #41, but if we keep KO I think there's no discussion over #41.

For some players their number is really really important to them.  So who gets #20?

Hayward if he's signed as he's a max player at that point.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 08:06:52 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TP for the thread.

If we do/don't give Fultz #20 after he's drafted, that may be a huge tell as to whether we will get Hayward.

I think CBS and DA have known whether we will get Hayward or not since the deadline, and my hunch is that we will, which is why DA didn't make a move then.

Also, Hayward wore #20 for all his Butler years as well as at Utah. It's his.

If Hayward or Fultz wear #20, I will be very happy. If we have them both, I'll be even happier.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 08:21:32 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Give one of them #13 and the other #27. It averages out to 20 and everyone is happy.

Mike

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 08:22:56 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Whoever sign first will be the one to wear #20. It could be a scrub from a minimum contract or some second round prospect.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 08:27:06 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
Give one of them #13 and the other #27. It averages out to 20 and everyone is happy.

Mike

But..but....James Young?

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 08:29:03 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I say you assign a different number to the rook and if we "don't" sign Hayward we then allow him to change. A rook is a rook.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 08:37:41 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
#20 goes to the #1 pick in the draft, Markelle Fultz.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 08:41:29 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I say you assign a different number to the rook and if we "don't" sign Hayward we then allow him to change. A rook is a rook.

a rook is most definitely not a rook when the rook is the #1 rook in the draft.

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 08:45:51 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Fultz because Heyward would be a fool to leave the Jazz of the extra money. He can ring chase at 32 if they don't win one.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 08:48:10 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Beginning to move into the "doubt Hayward comes here" camp, but if he came he'd get #20 for sure. Fultz is a rookie. That simple.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 09:16:36 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Beginning to move into the "doubt Hayward comes here" camp.......

I feel the opposite.

Even the Jazz fandom are feeling more threatened that he may leave for here.

This from a Fansided article on the Jazz fan website, Purple and Blues:

The allure for Gordon Hayward to join the Celtics seems to be growing with each passing day. Hopefully Dennis Lindsey and Co. are well-prepared with plans of their own to counter that growing temptation and convince Hayward to stay in Utah for the long haul.

https://purpleandblues.com/2017/05/27/utah-jazz-recent-isaiah-thomas-statement-gordon-hayward-implications/

The thrust of the article is the Celtics will do anything to win, referencing IT's comments  about putting his extension on hold for the betterment of the team, which is a huge sacrifice, on the surface, and that this attitude will impress Hayward who wants to win a title.

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 09:38:30 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
TP for the thread.

If we do/don't give Fultz #20 after he's drafted, that may be a huge tell as to whether we will get Hayward.

I think CBS and DA have known whether we will get Hayward or not since the deadline, and my hunch is that we will, which is why DA didn't make a move then.

If Hayward or Fultz wear #20, I will be very happy. If we have them both, I'll be even happier.

Not really.  Assuming Fultz is drafted, he won't be assigned a number until he's signed or a little later.  By the time that happens, we'll already know Hayward's decision.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 09:43:33 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
FULTZ!!!!!!   8) ;D
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 09:47:00 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
TP for the thread.

Not really.  Assuming Fultz is drafted, he won't be assigned a number until he's signed or a little later.  By the time that happens, we'll already know Hayward's decision.

Sure, take away all my fun with your logic and reasoning.....party pooper!… But TP fot the logic.

We are going to get Hayward anyway, so it will be a moot issue!