Author Topic: If it Comes to it, What is IT's Trade Value?  (Read 5122 times)

If it Comes to it, What is IT's Trade Value?
« on: May 27, 2017, 07:02:48 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I know a lot of people are totally against trading Thomas, and I understand. He's been incredible this season. But if the front office decides the cost of retaining him is going to outweigh the benefits and it comes to trading him, what is his value?

Would you trade IT for Aaron Gordon and the #6? How about for Saric and the Lakers pick next year? Would you trade IT for Gordon or Saric straight up?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: If it Comes to it, What is IT's Trade Value?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 07:05:02 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
No, no, and no.  If he's not going to be resigned, better to have him as a mentor for Fultz and let him walk in free agency.  The question marks about Fultz -- intensity, winning attitude -- are the qualities IT has in spades.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 07:09:43 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
No, no, and no.  If he's not going to be resigned, better to have him as a mentor for Fultz and let him walk in free agency.  The question marks about Fultz -- defense, intensity, winning attitude -- are the qualities IT has in spades.
IT has defensive qualities in spades? 

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 07:10:22 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
No, no, and no.  If he's not going to be resigned, better to have him as a mentor for Fultz and let him walk in free agency.  The question marks about Fultz -- intensity, winning attitude -- are the qualities IT has in spades.
You'd rather he walk for nothing in a year than trade him for a young player with all star potential? That's crazy to me.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 07:15:52 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
No, no, and no.  If he's not going to be resigned, better to have him as a mentor for Fultz and let him walk in free agency.  The question marks about Fultz -- defense, intensity, winning attitude -- are the qualities IT has in spades.
IT has defensive qualities in spades? 

Are there stronger words to describe his defensive prowess?

You'd rather he walk for nothing in a year than trade him for a young player with all star potential? That's crazy to me.

I stated my reasoning.  His influence on Fultz is more valuable than another draft pick that yields a role-player.  As the #1 pick, Fultz is the future.  Whether or not you like IT, he's a great basketball player, friends with Fultz, and again... embodies the Celtic qualities that we hope his predecessor will value.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 07:17:40 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Nobody is trading a young player with allstar potential for an expiring. That's why we don't have PG13 on the Celtics.

Not much point in trading him unless it's to balance the roster and he just happens to be the guy that makes it work.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 07:22:27 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I know a lot of people are totally against trading Thomas, and I understand. He's been incredible this season. But if the front office decides the cost of retaining him is going to outweigh the benefits and it comes to trading him, what is his value?

Would you trade IT for Aaron Gordon and the #6? How about for Saric and the Lakers pick next year? Would you trade IT for Gordon or Saric straight up?
I don't think IT could get you either the Magic or Sixers proposals.  I don't think either team (or any young rebuilding team) would even be interested in IT.  Even without the injury, he's a 1 year rental who is about to get very expensive to retain.  Maybe Dallas at #9 or Detroit at #12 might be interested in IT. 

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 07:26:23 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Well how about you think before posting? I haven’t seen one reasonable IT trade out there yet and thats mostly because they come from overreacting posters who think for a whole 2 seconds before posting their trade IT idea. Why in the world would these rebuilding teams like Philly, Orlando, and Minny trade their valuable young assets for a 5’9’’ 28 year old point guard who has 1 year left on his deal? None of those teams are making the jump with Thomas and yet you expect to get Gordon and #6, or Lavine and #7, or Saric and lakers pick? Not only does that ruin our chances next year by getting rid of our best player and only player who can create his own shot, but there isn’t a chance in hell that one of those rebuilding teams trades for him. The only way IT would get traded is if there is a playoff team that needs a point guard and has young assets to trade for him, and there just isn’t a team like that out there.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 07:27:24 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

None of these trades is a possibility, Philadelphia and Orlando won't even think about them. I'd happily trade IT for Saric, a savvy player on a rookie contract and good fit in our passing-oriented system. But that's not happening.

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 07:37:18 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

None of these trades is a possibility, Philadelphia and Orlando won't even think about them. I'd happily trade IT for Saric, a savvy player on a rookie contract and good fit in our passing-oriented system. But that's not happening.

I'm just looking for a one-word answer here -- you believe it's in the Celtics best interest to trade a 2nd team All NBA player/MVP candidate that averaged 29/6 and lead us to the #1 seed, then the ECF despite personal tragedy, for Saric?

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 07:47:05 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

How can you be so sure they wouldn't do it? 

Draftexpress has the Sixers drafting Jackson at #3 so it's highly likely they 'll still be in need of a point guard on draft night. With Simmons coming back healthy, it's only logical to assume that Saric won't be their starting PF for the future.

The C's move on from Amir (and free up enough cap space to go after Hayward) and the Sixers get a starting point guard who can finally lead their young team to the playoffs (just like he did in Boston).

IT
3+D shooting guard
Jackson
Simmons
Embiid

That's definitely a playoff team in my book (and a fun team to watch as well).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 07:59:35 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 08:12:20 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Draftexpress has the Sixers drafting Jackson at #3 so it's highly likely they 'll still be in need of a point guard on draft night. With Simmons coming back healthy, it's only logical to assume that Saric won't be their starting PF for the future.

The C's move on from Amir (and free up enough cap space to go after Hayward) and the Sixers get a starting point guard who can finally lead their young team to the playoffs (just like he did in Boston).

IT
3+D shooting guard
Jackson
Simmons
Embiid

Why would Hayward then come to a lottery-bound Boston?  Why did we just sign Horford to a max contract? 

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 08:46:22 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

IT
3+D shooting guard
Jackson
Simmons
Embiid

Why would Hayward then come to a lottery-bound Boston?  Why did we just sign Horford to a max contract?
Lottery-bound? Lol

Anyway, why would he come you are asking? Off the top of my head :

1) Easier path to the finals (at least to the conference finals)
2) Bigger market -> more money for him from endorsements / commercial opportunities ( all things considered, it's highly likely he makes more money here than in Utah)
3) The Butler connection

Sound fair enough?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:08:37 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 08:54:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
IT is hurt and may need surgery and he's on the last year of his contract, I'm not sure this is the best time to trade him. Injured players have a much lower value.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 09:19:57 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
IT is hurt and may need surgery and he's on the last year of his contract, I'm not sure this is the best time to trade him. Injured players have a much lower value.
If we don't plan to resign him, now is the time to trade him. No point waiting till the trade deadline. Teams will be even more hesitant to offer us a significant asset for a 3-month rental of IT.