Author Topic: Zizic: "this summer I'm going to the NBA for sure"  (Read 13701 times)

Zizic: "this summer I'm going to the NBA for sure"
« on: May 27, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Get ready for the zizic show

http://www.eurohoops.net/featured/384822/ante-zizic-next-summer-im-going-nba-sure

Not only does Zizic look ready for the NBA, but also eager to be there next season. Actually, as he confirmed to Eurohoops, he’s sure of joining the Celtics this summer. He also talks about why he signed with Darussafaka Dogus, how his new team helps him on the path to the NBA and the important role David Blatt has in his development.

(snip)

Tell me about the Boston Celtics. They have some great players and are doing really fine this season.

I’m always in touch with the guys from Celtics. They watch my game and they come visit me. Indeed, they play really, really good this season. They have a lot of potential as a team, because it’s a young team. They have players who can play great individual and team basketball. Next season I want to be a part what they’ll do.”
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 02:23:29 PM by CelticsElite »

Re: Zizic: "this summer I'm going to the NBA for sure"
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 02:15:33 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Goodbye Zeller and Amir...or should I say good riddance-?
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 04:53:22 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Good. I hope the Man Child comes and brings some of his nasty along with him.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It's better to think of him as a replacement for Zeller or Mickey, in terms of the role on the team which is likely "big man at the end of the bench".

Amir's replacement better be starting or first big off the bench.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 05:37:31 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538

GOOD RIDDANCE works for me
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 08:45:25 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
It's better to think of him as a replacement for Zeller or Mickey, in terms of the role on the team which is likely "big man at the end of the bench".

This.

Lets not expect too much from a 20 year old kid who has never played a game against NBA competition. 

Not saying he won't be any more productive then Zeller - but it's possible. 

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 09:08:43 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Not necessarily. Zubac had a solid year for the Lakers and Zizic is said to be the superior player/prospect. Besides the way Amir looked the last few months of the season, I'm not sure he could even play in the Euroleague.

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 09:28:44 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

This.

Lets not expect too much from a 20 year old kid who has never played a game against NBA competition. 

Not saying he won't be any more productive then Zeller - but it's possible.

In terms of competitors, it's fair to expect more from people playing in Europe than in college.

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 09:48:55 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

Not necessarily. Zubac had a solid year for the Lakers and Zizic is said to be the superior player/prospect. Besides the way Amir looked the last few months of the season, I'm not sure he could even play in the Euroleague.

Zubac has a WARP projection of 1.7 which is lottery level.  Zizic has a 1.9

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 10:59:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
In terms of competitors, it's fair to expect more from people playing in Europe than in college.

With all due respect, I simply do not believe this to be a fact.   A lot more NBA greats have come from US colleges.   Also, the amateur record of USA college kids against the pros of Europe in the Olympics speaks otherwise.  Now I do not have the statistics for the just the amatuer team so this has the NBA pros but that is a 20 year old development.

Event                                 W   L   Per.        1st gold    2nd silver    3rd bronze    T
Summer Olympic Games      138   5   .965          15           1                    2                 18
FIBA Basketball World Cup  123   27   .820        5            3                    4                 12
FIBA Americas Championship   60   14   .811           6            1                    0                   7
Pan American Games          90   17   .841           8            3                    3                14
Total                             412   63   .867          34            8                    9                51

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_men's_national_basketball_team

Early American dominance[edit]
Thanks in part to the effort of Phog Allen[1][2]—a Kansas Jayhawks collegiate coach—the first Olympic basketball tournament was organized in the 1936 Olympics at Berlin on outdoor tennis courts. Dr. Naismith presented the medals to the top three teams. According to the Olympic rules of that time, all of the competitors were amateurs. The tournament was held indoors for the first time in 1948. The American team proved its dominance, winning the first seven Olympic tournaments until 1968, without losing a single game. While the Americans were barred from sending a team that contained players from the professional National Basketball Association, they instead sent in college players; teams from some other countries sent in their best players, as some of their players were classified as "amateur" by FIBA, by earning allowances instead of wages.

Munich and after[edit]
The United States winning streak ended in 1972 under highly controversial circumstances, when the Soviet Union beat them in the gold-medal game. After the game, the American team refused to accept the silver medal, and the medal has been kept in IOC possession ever since.

The Americans reclaimed the gold medal in 1976, with Yugoslavia, which had beaten the Soviet Union in the semifinal, finishing runner-up for the second time. In 1980, with the Americans' absence due to the boycott, Yugoslavia became the third team to win the title, after beating the Soviets anew in the semifinals and Italy in the final. The United States regained the title in 1984, by beating Spain in the final, with the Soviets boycotting this time. The Soviets won the gold medal for the second time in 1988, after beating the Americans for the second time in the semifinal, and the Yugoslavs in the gold medal game.

Professional era[edit]
In April 1989, through the leadership of Secretary General Borislav Stanković, FIBA approved the rule that allowed NBA players to compete in international tournaments, including the Olympics. In the next Olympics, the 1992 Summer Olympics, the "Dream Team" won the gold medal at the 1992 Olympics Basketball, with an average winning margin of 44 points per game, and without calling a time out. By this time, the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia no longer existed, but their successor states continued to be among the leading forces. Two newly independent countries of the former Yugoslavia and Soviet Union, Croatia and Lithuania, won the silver and bronze medals respectively.

The United States repeated its victory in 1996 and 2000, but its performance was not as successful as in 1992. Since active NBA players have been allowed to compete in the Summer Olympics, the 1996 Games in Atlanta is the only instance where the Olympic host city also had a home NBA team — the Hawks. Yugoslavia was the runner-up in Atlanta, and France in Sydney, with Lithuania winning bronze again on both occasions.

The renewed dominance of the United States was interrupted in 2004, when the Americans barely made it to the semifinal, after losing to Puerto Rico and Lithuania in the preliminaries; Argentina defeated them in the semifinals, on their way to a gold medal finish, where they beat Italy in the final, and became the fourth team to win the Olympic title.

The Americans regrouped in 2008, beating the current FIBA world champions, Spain, in an intense gold medal game, with the Argentinians beating the Lithuanians in the bronze medal game. The Americans and the Spaniards met again in the 2012 gold medal game, with the Americans again winning, although with the closest winning margin for the Americans. The Americans again won in 2016, defeating the Serbians in the gold medal game, a rematch of the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Final, after eliminating the Spaniards in the semifinal, who settled for bronze.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_at_the_Summer_Olympics

Europe has some very good players and teams but if our kids were playing pro ball as young over there it would be even more disparity in our favor.   We have had pros since 1992 and for six Olympics.   The rest of the world has improved greatly though.

Not to mention all the Americans playing in Europe who can't make the NBA.  We have our busts and Euro has their busts too.

1st Team          2nd Team         3rd Team
2001      0                      1                       1
2002      0                      1                       2
2003      0                      1                       1
2004      0                      1                        2
2005      2                 0                        0
2006      2                  0                         1
2007      2                       1                         0
2008      0                       2                         2
2009      1                       1                         2
2010      0                       2                         2
2011      0                       2                         2
2012      0                       1                         1
2013       0                       2                         0
2014      1                       1                         1
2015      1                       2                        0
2016           0                       0                        0
2017          0                         2                     0   

http://hoopshype.com/2016/05/26/all-nba-teams-no-international-players-for-the-first-time-this-century/

BTW I think the Porzingas is going to make all NBA in a few years.

A lot of agents try to hide their playersbecause being unknown get you drafted higher.  Here is a paper from MIT that did a lot of analysis of NBA success of Foreign Players.

Forecasting Performance of International Players in the NBA
Kevin Salador
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20037
kevinsalador@gmail.com

it is from 2011.

Prospects who do not compete in this tournament remain more unknown and their potentials are not damaged because their weaknesses have not been exposed. However, if a player is exposed while another player does not compete, this does not necessarily mean that the latter player would not also be exposed. All else being equal, competing in the FIBA World  Championship does not affect NBA performance and it should not affect draft position.
International players who win awards overseas prior to playing

Darko and Bender, and Dante Exum are guys who got drafted and by being unknowns.

More:
     International players who win awards overseas prior to playing in the NBA have longer careers than players who do not win awards. This makes sense because better players win awards yet NBA teams apparently fail to let these awards influence their drafting. Award winners also ultimately play more minutes per game in NBA games. Playing more minutes and more years indicates that these players are productive NBA players. Thus, players who are recognized overseas and win awards are productive players in the NBA.
     NBA teams can also improve their drafting of future superstar players. Players who are great scorers overseas have a better chance of winning awards when they come to the NBA. Up to this point, points per game has not significantly affected how NBA teams draft. It also appears that players who compete in the least competitive professional leagues overseas win more NBA awards than players who play in more competitive leagues; based on drafting patterns, NBA teams are already targeting players in these leagues. While this seems odd because these leagues generally do not have as many talented players, there is a possible explanation. Players tend to begin their basketball career by playing in their home country Ms league. They then move onto a better league, such as the Spanish League or the Italian League if they cannot go straight from their country Ms league to the NBA. The better players are identified earlier and do not have the chance to compete in the top international leagues. Dirk Nowitzki and Yao Ming, who have won many awards in the NBA, are two examples of this. Nowitzki played in Germany, which is not a top league, and then was drafted by the Milwaukee Bucks. Yao Ming played in China and also went straight to the NBA to play for the Houston Rockets. On the other hand, Fabricio Oberto began his career in Argentina, which is his home country. He then played in Greece and Spain before playing in the NBA. Oberto has not won any awards in the NBA.
     The differences between the significant predictors of players who become superstars and players who become productive role players exemplify how difficult it is to draft international players. Superstars are identified early and usually do not have a chance to move to more competitive international leagues target slightly older players with more experience overseas. Because NBA teams target players in the least competitive leagues and players who block shots, it can be concluded that NBA teams are evaluating talent well. They know to they have to look in the least competitive leagues for young, potential superstars. Also, they know to target players who block shots when looking for productive role players. NBA teams would, however, benefit by taking FIBA World Championship performances less serious and by taking international awards more seriously before they are targeted by NBA teams. Role players, on the other hand, play for several years overseas as indicated by the amount of awards they win. The more years these players play, the more awards they have a chance to win. Therefore, to draft a superstar, teams must risk taking a young player before they have a chance to see him play against the best talent overseas. To draft a solid, productive role player, teams can

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Forecasting-Performance-of-International-Players-in-the-NBA.pdf

So I for one do not believe that Europe is a better place to get stars than USA colleges.   Roleplayers perhaps and an occasional really good player and all star.

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 11:18:16 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

So I for one do not believe that Europe is a better place to get stars than USA colleges.   Roleplayers perhaps and an occasional really good player and all star.

I d say it is pretty accurate. Playing (really playing not like Bender) in the Euroleague or ACB or Turkey helps a lot and makes the player mature faster. So imho a team will get more from an 18-19 yo from European lottery prospect but their ceiling is usualy lower.

But we are talking about Zizic and not a possible no1 pick.

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 11:19:24 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

With all due respect, I simply do not believe this to be a fact.   A lot more NBA greats have come from US colleges.   Also, the amateur record of USA college kids against the pros of Europe in the Olympics speaks otherwise.  Now I do not have the statistics for the just the amatuer team so this has the NBA pros but that is a 20 year old development.

TP for all that work!

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 08:38:32 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538

I d say it is pretty accurate. Playing (really playing not like Bender) in the Euroleague or ACB or Turkey helps a lot and makes the player mature faster. So imho a team will get more from an 18-19 yo from European lottery prospect but their ceiling is usualy lower.

But we are talking about Zizic and not a possible no1 pick.

we shall see

if he can eventually turn into a 10 points 10 rebounds guy i will be thrilled.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 08:43:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Fultz - Zizic pick and roll should be fun in Summer League.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 09:03:44 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
The Fultz - Zizic pick and roll should be fun in Summer League.
As in cinnamon?  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva