Poll

Would you make this trade Knicks #8 pick for Crowder and Boston's ​First 2018

Yes
24 (55.8%)
No
19 (44.2%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Poll: Crowder and Boston 2018 pick for #8 this year  (Read 5987 times)

Re: Poll: Crowder and Boston 2018 pick for #8 this year
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2017, 05:57:50 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I misread totally.  I would NEVER EVER give up next year's Nets' pick.

Smitty77
Ya the BKN pick is a legit chance to grab another stud. Pairing Ayton with Fultz/Brown would be pretty dynamic.

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2017, 06:02:16 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Terrible idea!  The 2018 pick is going to be in the top 5 of a draft that will be full of impact bigs.  None of the bigs in the 2017 draft are on the level of Porter, Ayton, or Bamba.

We have 3 rookies coming in already. That's enough.

Yabu is probably not coming right now. You don't pass up on a stretch four like Markkanen.

If you can snag him. You do it.

ROFL.  And when he turns into a lesser Kelly Olynyk?  People will be bashing this move for decades.

Yeah Smokey, before you start typing ROFL, you might wanna read my post again. Not the Nets pick, Boston's pick in the mid to late 20's.

ROFL did you get that wrong!

LOL maybe you didn't read MY post?  Crowder for a lesser Kelly Olynyk would have people bashing the trade for years.  People already give KO a LOT of hate.  Markannen is just the next version of him.

What draft addicts don't seem to understand is the history of the draft.  Guys taken at pick #8 rarely even crack the starting rotation.

Just look at this list:
http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-picks/8th-overall/80509/

I'd say less than 25% of those picks ended up as starter level players for their team.

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2017, 06:15:21 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Terrible idea!  The 2018 pick is going to be in the top 5 of a draft that will be full of impact bigs.  None of the bigs in the 2017 draft are on the level of Porter, Ayton, or Bamba.

Yabu is probably not coming right now. You don't pass up on a stretch four like Markkanen.

ROFL.  And when he turns into a lesser Kelly Olynyk?  People will be bashing this move for decades.

Yeah Smokey, before you start typing ROFL, you might wanna read my post again. Not the Nets pick, Boston's pick in the mid to late 20's.

LOL maybe you didn't read MY post?  Crowder for a lesser Kelly Olynyk would have people bashing the trade for years.  People already give KO a LOT of hate.  Markannen is just the next version of him.

What draft addicts don't seem to understand is the history of the draft.  Guys taken at pick #8 rarely even crack the starting rotation.

Just look at this list:

I'd say less than 25% of those picks ended up as starter level players for their team.

I'd say your back of the matchbook analysis is wrong. Nice attempt at limiting the set ("for their team") but that doesn't matter. If a player left Team 1 to become a starter on Team 2 then it's generally the fault of the first team.

82 games had a much more in depth analysis on picks from 7-10:

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

In short, it's about 50/50 between starters (including stars) and not in that range.

Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2017, 06:33:22 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Just look at this list:

I'd say your back of the matchbook analysis is wrong. Nice attempt at limiting the set ("for their team") but that doesn't matter. If a player left Team 1 to become a starter on Team 2 then it's generally the fault of the first team.

82 games had a much more in depth analysis on picks from 7-10:

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

In short, it's about 50/50 between starters (including stars) and not in that range.
And in the late 20s, where the Boston 2018 will be, the chance to get a starter is in the 10-15% range.  Getting top 10, and especially top 5, picks is how you succeed in the draft. 

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2017, 06:36:09 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Interesting. Trading away Crowder, Rozier, and the #37 pick for the #8 could be intriguing for both teams. Assuming we draft Fultz and sign Hayward this is how I see it:

Crowder

(C's) This sheds some contract for us in our quest to land Hayward. This also allows Brown the playing time needed for his continued development.

(NY) Jackson has gone on record to say how much he likes him. He would be an easy replacement for the "soon to be dealt' Anthony. He has has multiple years left on a below market price contract.

Rozier

(C's) This too sheds some cap space to land Hayward. Rozier's departure opens up playing time for Fultz. Not to mention that a concern has to be him taking a backseat to Faultz and then losing both playing time and trade value.

(Knicks) This is a nice fallback option to have at PG, assuming they would've gone with Smith at #8.

Olynyk, who's 7.7m cap hold is a hurdle to land Hayward, is in all likelihood going to be gone regardless. Markannen is a better shooting, more athletic version of Olynyk, but with similar weaknesses. That said, the amount of open looks he'll receive playing alongside Thomas, Horford, and Hayward is downright scary. This is a knockdown shooter, with a high release point, that shot 42.3% from college 3's. For comparison, during their respective college careers Olynyk shot 33% and Kaminsky shot 36%.

It's a definite plus if we're able to replace Crowder for Hayward, Rozier for Fultz, and Olynyk for Markannen.

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2017, 06:41:04 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
BRK18 alone might be more valuable than #8 this year

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2017, 06:41:58 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
BRK18 alone might be more valuable than #8 this year

Depending on where it falls it most certainly is...

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2017, 07:04:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
no way .. not the 2018

crowder , Rozier and 37th pick should do the trick

8th pick Danny will prob draft (lets assume he takes Fultz with #1)   Markkanen (replace KO)

Zizic
Horford
Hayward
AB
IT4

Markkanen
Jerebko/Yabusele
Brown
Smart
Fultz

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2017, 08:08:20 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Hasn't this year taught us anything about trading away future firsts?  Patience is the key!  I don't know if this year's pick was offered for Justise Winslow, but if is was, this sounds like a similar deal.  Pass in a heartbeat.

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2017, 08:13:04 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
LOL, if Cousins could only land Sacramento a top 10, what makes you think Crowder would net us a top 8 lottery?

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2017, 08:14:21 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Guys its the 2018 Boston pick.....not the Nets. It's in the 20s next year. I don't see why NY does it, but people really need to read.
#JKJB

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2017, 08:23:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The 2018 draft features much better BIGS.

Ayton and Bamba are 2 unreal prospects and will be accompanied by a few other bigs. Bamba has a 7'9'' wingpsn and 9'6'' standing reach. Ayton is 250 and 7' with a 9'5'' standing reach and 7'5.5'' wingspan.

IMO the 2018 BKN pick is worth more than this trade. Also we have to factor that Brooke Lopez is an UFA in 2018. If the Nets are going to trade him the most probable time would be around the draft for picks....

BKN without Lopez is the worst team in the league....again. We should take that into account.

The trade proposal was for the worse of our two picks next year. Obviously the Celtics own pick.

Which is why it's never gonna happen, KG. You know that. 

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2017, 08:26:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I could see it happen if we agreed to take Mello as well. Which would mean we were not going after Hayward.