Poll

Pretend Hayward Stays In Utah, But CP3 Leaves Clippers. Still Want To Target Griffin?

Yes, If His Physical/Medical Info Checks Out And Ainge Agrees. Fills A HUGE NEED For The Team.
31 (55.4%)
No, TOO MUCH AN INJURY RISK. STAY AWAY.
17 (30.4%)
I'd Hesitate And Consider, But Still Probably No.
8 (14.3%)
Bad Poll. He's DEFINITELY Staying With The Clippers Regardless.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: If Hayward Stays, Still On The "Griffin-To-Boston" Train Or Not Anymore?  (Read 9718 times)

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I think I'd prefer to spend that money on a couple guys, for example Ingles and Gibson, than give Blake a bunch of money.

I'm okay with that because it would make it easier to afford to hold onto most of the current roster, which I like a lot.  But if we make such a move, everyone needs to accept up front that we're not even trying to win a title for another 3 to 5 years.

Mike

I don't think we are winning a title with a Griffin Horford frontcourt. Not in today's NBA.

That team would not be able to defend.

Regardless, adding Griffin does make you a better team. Adding Ingles and Gibson not really.

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I think I'd prefer to spend that money on a couple guys, for example Ingles and Gibson, than give Blake a bunch of money.

I'm okay with that because it would make it easier to afford to hold onto most of the current roster, which I like a lot.  But if we make such a move, everyone needs to accept up front that we're not even trying to win a title for another 3 to 5 years.

Mike

I don't think we are winning a title with a Griffin Horford frontcourt. Not in today's NBA.

That team would not be able to defend.

Regardless, adding Griffin does make you a better team. Adding Ingles and Gibson not really.

Yeah, pretty much this.

There really is no PERFECT option/solution here.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
If healthy, I think Griffin is a great fit in our style.  He is an extremely underrated passer, he gives us a legit finisher at the rim on pick and rolls, and can rebound better than anyone we have.  Why wouldn't anyone want him?

Well, aside from his dumb commercials and well-documented injury history, there is the "issue" of him not shooting threes, which seems to be the only attribute that Ainge and Stevens value among power forwards and centers ::). Ugh.

You haven't kept up with him this year. Blake was hitting threes, particularly in the tail end of the season. He's not a volume shooter or a chucker, but he takes and makes them now.

TP for the info, although Griffin taking threes really makes things worse, to me, as every time he takes a jumper he's bailing the opponent out, imo.  Remember when the Clippers played the Warriors this year and how he'd shoot from downtown when he should have been on the block?  It was ridiculous, and hardly intelligent, imo, because in so doing he basically gave Draymond a break.  Ugh.

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
If healthy, I think Griffin is a great fit in our style.  He is an extremely underrated passer, he gives us a legit finisher at the rim on pick and rolls, and can rebound better than anyone we have.  Why wouldn't anyone want him?

Well, aside from his dumb commercials and well-documented injury history, there is the "issue" of him not shooting threes, which seems to be the only attribute that Ainge and Stevens value among power forwards and centers ::). Ugh.

You haven't kept up with him this year. Blake was hitting threes, particularly in the tail end of the season. He's not a volume shooter or a chucker, but he takes and makes them now.

TP for the info, although Griffin taking threes really makes things worse, to me, as every time he takes a jumper he's bailing the opponent out, imo.  Remember when the Clippers played the Warriors this year and how he'd shoot from downtown when he should have been on the block?  It was ridiculous, and hardly intelligent, imo, because in so doing he basically gave Draymond a break.  Ugh.

Better coaching could really help Blake though, along with playing with a more versatile, stretch big like Horford who can hit 3s himself.  ;D

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Ive thought about it a lot, and I might even prefer Grffin to Hayward.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Ive thought about it a lot, and I might even prefer Griffin to Hayward.

That makes sense. Since Griffin fills a position of need, can rebound ánd has shown that he can play like a top 10 player in the playoffs when healthy. It's just a risky move.

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

Same here. I know there's an injury risk, but at this point competing now is just a luxury isn't it? Our true aims are developing Fultz, Brown, and the rest of them to compete in 3-5 years.

After watching our team get destroyed all postseason long due to a lack of another good big man, I definitely prefer Griffin over Hayward due to his positional fit and how his game fits really well with our team.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Same here. I know there's an injury risk, but at this point competing now is just a luxury isn't it? Our true aims are developing Fultz, Brown, and the rest of them to compete in 3-5 years.

After watching our team get destroyed all postseason long due to a lack of another good big man, I definitely prefer Griffin over Hayward due to his positional fit and how his game fits really well with our team.
I think Griffin's upside is a lot higher than Hayward. Hayward is never going to be an MVP candidate. In 2014, Griffin was 3rd in MVP voting and he deserved it. There are lots of reasons to be nervous about bringing Griffin in but he would thrive with Brad and Horford.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

I think Griffin's upside is a lot higher than Hayward. Hayward is never going to be an MVP candidate. In 2014, Griffin was 3rd in MVP voting and he deserved it. There are lots of reasons to be nervous about bringing Griffin in but he would thrive with Brad and Horford.

Yep, and I think he'll seriously consider us, too, especially with Paul looking more and more likely to give San Antonio a real shot at signing him.

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.
We all know the talk of the next month in terms of Free Agency will be on Hayward, as he would be a perfect fit for this system and is versatile (could play anywhere from the 2-4 in certain situations), and his defense is underrated (he's an above average defender with size who DOES NOT hurt you on the defensive end). And of course, his scoring ability (can give you 25-30 a night easily).

But another guy who is available is Blake Griffin. He would be a perfect fit here too, and could help the front court A LOT, and ultimately solves the "add a star and add a PF/C" problem like a 2-for-1.

But of course, there's the concerns about his injury issues and all that, which make people against signing him or hesitate in going after him (me included).

That being said, there's been rumblings about Chris Paul possibly joining the Spurs (somehow, because idk how Spurs can make it work with the less cap space they have), or another team like the Pelicans.

I predict Paul, Griffin stay in LAC and Hayward stays in Utah, BUT...

If Chris Paul does end up leaving the Clippers and Hayward stays in Utah... would you be okay if the C's targeted Griffin, or would you rather try for someone else like Millsap, OR just draft Fultz, re-sign some guys, sign guys using exceptions (Gibson?), offer extensions (IT/Smart/AB?) and keep rolling into next season?

The Celtics are serious in trying to add front court talent this summer, which includes Hayward, Griffin, or even George (via trade):

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/source-celtics-offseason-focus-all-star-frontcourt-addition

If he is healthy, Griffin is worth the money. Problem is he's never healthy anymore. Not much value in a guy who can't stay on the court. Spend the money elsewhere.
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
He is much more of a roster fit for us that's for sure, and it goes with my opinion I'd rather renounce KO (or S&T for a future pick if we can) than trade Bradley.  It makes me uneasy paying Kelly 15 mil roughly a year, but not so much with Bradley.

If Griffin is healthy for us, and say Brown makes a big leap in his second year it makes us a powerful team with still plenty of assets to trade for a wing star if we wish.

Horford/Zizic
Griffin/room exception FA
Crowder/Brown
Bradley/Smart
Thomas/Fultz

I think Rozier will have to traded as well to create max cap space.

I like that team a lot, and if we want to trade for a wing star later on like Butler or George or even Hayward further down the line we can.

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I was on board with Blake until his most recent season ending, lower extremity injury. His skill set is such a perfect fit,  but you absolutely can't count on him to be healthy for the postseason.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
He is much more of a roster fit for us that's for sure, and it goes with my opinion I'd rather renounce KO (or S&T for a future pick if we can) than trade Bradley.  It makes me uneasy paying Kelly 15 mil roughly a year, but not so much with Bradley.

If Griffin is healthy for us, and say Brown makes a big leap in his second year it makes us a powerful team with still plenty of assets to trade for a wing star if we wish.

Horford/Zizic
Crowder/Brown
Bradley/Smart
Thomas/Fultz

I like that team a lot, and if we want to trade for a wing star later on like Butler or George or even Hayward further down the line we can.

I like it. You don't lose any significant assets (depends how you feel about Rozier and KO) and you build directly on the rotations from this year.

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Horford/Zizic
Crowder/Brown
Bradley/Smart
Thomas/Fultz

TP. I like that potential roster as well. My hope is Jaylen takes a big step in 2nd year as well. Not saying I expect him to be 100% elite, but a good step forward.