Poll

Pretend Hayward Stays In Utah, But CP3 Leaves Clippers. Still Want To Target Griffin?

Yes, If His Physical/Medical Info Checks Out And Ainge Agrees. Fills A HUGE NEED For The Team.
31 (55.4%)
No, TOO MUCH AN INJURY RISK. STAY AWAY.
17 (30.4%)
I'd Hesitate And Consider, But Still Probably No.
8 (14.3%)
Bad Poll. He's DEFINITELY Staying With The Clippers Regardless.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: If Hayward Stays, Still On The "Griffin-To-Boston" Train Or Not Anymore?  (Read 9662 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
If healthy, I think Griffin is a great fit in our style.  He is an extremely underrated passer, he gives us a legit finisher at the rim on pick and rolls, and can rebound better than anyone we have.  Why wouldn't anyone want him?

Well, aside from his dumb commercials and well-documented injury history, there is the "issue" of him not shooting threes, which seems to be the only attribute that Ainge and Stevens value among power forwards and centers ::). Ugh.

You haven't kept up with him this year. Blake was hitting threes, particularly in the tail end of the season. He's not a volume shooter or a chucker, but he takes and makes them now.

He was also in a bit of an awkward system.

A reason the Clippers "Big 3" didn't work is because Jordan and Griffin both do pretty much the same thing (dunk, layups, rebound). Jordan is a better rebounder while Griffin has more of a mid-range game compared to Jordan, but yeah other than that they do similar things on the court.

That's why it doesn't really work.

Here though, Griffin is in a better system.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I would not take the risk at crippling our franchise for next half a decade. Injury history and risk is far too great to weaken the foundation that is being built. Just say No to injury risk players that have proven at a young age, they are injured time and time again.

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I would not take the risk at crippling our franchise for next half a decade. Injury history and risk is far too great to weaken the foundation that is being built. Just say No to injury risk players that have proven at a young age, they are injured time and time again.

Don't see why Griffin would cripple the franchise, even if injured. We either sign a max free agent now this summer, or the opportunity to sign another max free agent is lost for half a decade once everyone else on the roster gets paid and we're over the cap. The only thing we'd lose is the opportunity to sign Hayward or Millsap instead this summer. After this summer, though, the cap space is gone one way or another, whoever we sign or if we sign no one.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Don't see why Griffin would cripple the franchise, even if injured. We either sign a max free agent now this summer, or the opportunity to sign another max free agent is lost for half a decade once everyone else on the roster gets paid and we're over the cap. The only thing we'd lose is the opportunity to sign Hayward or Millsap instead this summer. After this summer, though, the cap space is gone one way or another, whoever we sign or if we sign no one.

This is true. TP.

Also, for me it's either Hayward/Griffin. Almost everyone else (including an aging Millsap) is 2nd tier to me.

And lets be real. KD, Curry aren't leaving and we don't need a CP3 or Lowry.

It's basically Amir, Jerebko, KO, Mickey, Green and Zeller vs. Griffin.

The upside is HUGE with Griffin, and most of the guys leaving are "dead weight" (except KO and Green). I'd consider the risk. I'm sure Ainge would too.

We'd still be adding Fultz and probably someone else using the room exception (decent help) while keeping most of the young core/future.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think I'd prefer to spend that money on a couple guys, for example Ingles and Gibson, than give Blake a bunch of money.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I think I'd prefer to spend that money on a couple guys, for example Ingles and Gibson, than give Blake a bunch of money.

TP, that's a good alternative. Moderate upgrades to the front court as well.

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
If healthy, I think Griffin is a great fit in our style.  He is an extremely underrated passer, he gives us a legit finisher at the rim on pick and rolls, and can rebound better than anyone we have.  Why wouldn't anyone want him?

... there is the "issue" of him not shooting threes, which seems to be the only attribute that Ainge and Stevens value among power forwards and centers ::). Ugh.

I think that what Ainge and Stevens are after is bigs that you can run offense through.  3-pt range is obviously a big plus - opens the floor for guys who can create off the dribble. Getting Isaiah Thomas some help in that department is obviously a priority - one immediate need that makes Markelle Fultz highly desirable.

The fit for Blake is really, really good - he can make a play, so you can create space around him with 3-pt shooters like Al Horford.  He can put it on the floor, he can get to the rim - and he can rebound. 

Defensive rebounding is Boston's other most urgent need to address. 

The beauty of Blake Griffin is that he addresses the two biggest weaknesses.

I think that the injury concerns are real but exaggerated.  They include breaking his hand hitting a team employee on a nightlife evening - which perhaps raises concerns of a different kind.

Your Boston Celtics are like a family, tight and dedicated to team first, win first.

If I'm Boston, I take the chance. I sign Blake.

Danny Ainge can take the chance because he has a couple of other big chances in hand.  In short, he's in the Catbird Seat, with three Brooklyn picks for a chance at the brass ring.  BkP #1 - mission accomplished, with Jaylen showing all the signs of a future All-Star two-way player.  BkP #2 - I say, draft Fultz.  And BkP #3?!

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Bring Jingles to Boston! Have loved him for years.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

I think we have enough Pretty Good Role Players. We need someone Great, and Griffin has been borderline Great when healthy.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I'm okay with that because it would make it easier to afford to hold onto most of the current roster, which I like a lot.  But if we make such a move, everyone needs to accept up front that we're not even trying to win a title for another 3 to 5 years.

Mike

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I don't see how anybody could get mad at adding Griffin. With a guy like Crowder already in the fold, you could make a case that Griffin would be a better addition than Hayward.

Regardless, I think we get one or the other. I won't be mad either way because both moves make this team much better.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I don't see how anybody could get mad at adding Griffin. With a guy like Crowder already in the fold, you could make a case that Griffin would be a better addition than Hayward.

Regardless, I think we get one or the other. I won't be mad either way because both moves make this team much better.
When healthy, I think it's indisputable that Griffin is both the better player and the better fit to the roster as it is right now.

If only it were that simple, though.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I think we have enough Pretty Good Role Players. We need someone Great, and Griffin has been borderline Great when healthy.

When healthy.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I'm okay with that because it would make it easier to afford to hold onto most of the current roster, which I like a lot.  But if we make such a move, everyone needs to accept up front that we're not even trying to win a title for another 3 to 5 years.

Mike

I don't think we are winning a title with a Griffin Horford frontcourt. Not in today's NBA.

That team would not be able to defend.
- Mark Twain

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Mike

I don't think we are winning a title with a Griffin Horford frontcourt. Not in today's NBA.

That team would not be able to defend.

To be fair, Griffin-Horford is the best case scenario option right now for the C's front court.

Unless somehow we are getting a Cousins or Anthony Davis back via trade. 

That or you believe Zizic becomes the next Jokic or at least somewhat better than Nurkic.