Poll

Pretend Hayward Stays In Utah, But CP3 Leaves Clippers. Still Want To Target Griffin?

Yes, If His Physical/Medical Info Checks Out And Ainge Agrees. Fills A HUGE NEED For The Team.
31 (55.4%)
No, TOO MUCH AN INJURY RISK. STAY AWAY.
17 (30.4%)
I'd Hesitate And Consider, But Still Probably No.
8 (14.3%)
Bad Poll. He's DEFINITELY Staying With The Clippers Regardless.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: If Hayward Stays, Still On The "Griffin-To-Boston" Train Or Not Anymore?  (Read 9665 times)

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
The fit is perfect and he is still a star player in my book. The injuries on the other hand, terrify me.

I really am not sure what I do here.
This is basically how I feel but would ultimately take the gamble.

Just think about how good Griffin has been in the past without CP3. He's a monster scorer and a great passer. Plugged in to Stevens' system (without a lane-clogging center) where he can create more and he'd be an MVP candidate. BUT that's only if he stays healthy. And that's the gamble.

A rotation of Thomas, Bradley, Crowder, Griffin, Horford with Fultz, Brown, Zizic off the bench might compete for a championship right away.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I mean if we don't use our cap space on him who exactly are we gonna use it on? Bradley/Thomas will be free agents next summer so its not likely we'll have max space again, if you can get Griffin you roll the dice. When he is on and healthy he is a top 10 talent.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
He has missed 71 games the past 3 seasons....71.

Great fit....upside>>>>championship contention.....downside>>>>>franchise crippling.

Too steep.....pass.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
naw ....hell go to Heat if Paul bolts

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

He will go to OKC if Paul bolts.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I understand the hesitation but in the end, I can't see us turning this down. He fills needs in rebounding and scoring and he moves the ball and spaces the floor. This is pretty much the type of player we need.
- LilRip

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
If healthy, I think Griffin is a great fit in our style.  He is an extremely underrated passer, he gives us a legit finisher at the rim on pick and rolls, and can rebound better than anyone we have.  Why wouldn't anyone want him?

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
If healthy, I think Griffin is a great fit in our style.  He is an extremely underrated passer, he gives us a legit finisher at the rim on pick and rolls, and can rebound better than anyone we have.  Why wouldn't anyone want him?

Well, aside from his dumb commercials and well-documented injury history, there is the "issue" of him not shooting threes, which seems to be the only attribute that Ainge and Stevens value among power forwards and centers ::). Ugh.

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
He has missed 71 games the past 3 seasons....71.

Great fit....upside>>>>championship contention.....downside>>>>>franchise crippling.

Too steep.....pass.

My thoughts exactly. If he stays healthy, we could be downright scary. But there's way too much of a track record of him not staying healthy that I think it's too much of a risk, especially considering all of the assets we have to build for the future.

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
It's not just the games missed by those injuries, it's how they might affect his game as he gets older. The lack of 3s is a big factor as well. He's your second choice basically, and I don't know if a team with three max guys who are all second choices is a great play.

At least with Hayward, he does pretty much everything a championship team would need their SF to do, and he hasn't had any serious injury problems. If he can't be signed then they could sign people into the space on flexible deals that could be moved later.

Finally, to be honest I just don't like watching Griffin play.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Not really interested TBH.

With his injury history over the past few seasons, he has almost single-handedly derailed the Clippers from being the Western Conference contender they should have been over the last 3-r years. 

He seems to have been injured every year, and he almost always ends up going down in the playoffs.

What is the use of a star player if he's not there for you in the playoffs?  This season should have given us all a taste of what it's like to take #1 seed in the regular season only to get slapped in the playoffs.

I'd much rather take a guy who might give us less production during the regular season, only to be a major difference maker in the playoffs. 

Given a choice between sacrificing regular season wins or playoff wins, I'll sacrifice the regular season any day.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

He will go to OKC if Paul bolts.

I think OKC would have trouble fitting him in (cap space) without some big trades, which honestly would make adding Griffin a lateral move IMHO.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Thanks for the responses for those who've responded so far! TPs to all.

I'm a little surprised quite a few would actually take the risk with signing him. It's not that I don't want him either or don't like him, I just got the impression (from other posts, etc.) that so many people decided to go 100% against going after him after his injuries and everything.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

Well, aside from his dumb commercials and well-documented injury history, there is the "issue" of him not shooting threes, which seems to be the only attribute that Ainge and Stevens value among power forwards and centers ::). Ugh.

You haven't kept up with him this year. Blake was hitting threes, particularly in the tail end of the season. He's not a volume shooter or a chucker, but he takes and makes them now.
- LilRip

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Injury history is just too concerning for me.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)