Author Topic: Gauging the value of our players  (Read 2716 times)

Gauging the value of our players
« on: May 27, 2017, 12:33:55 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Hi all :), I'm just making this thread to see how everyone ranks the guys on our roster in terms of possible return(s), so appraise as many of them as you want.  There are no wrong answers, here.  I guess I'll start by posing this question - is Smart, as much as I can't stand him, lol ;D, worth enough on his own to pry the 21st pick away from OKC?  I'm going to go with probably not, but that's kind of the point here, so have at it :).

Re: Gauging the value of our players
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 12:38:20 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
What's the deal with you and Smart? he is worth like a lottery pick
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 01:18:03 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Nothing, what have you heard ;) (sarcasm) ;D?  Now by "lottery pick," do you mean towards the end of the lottery or somewhere in the top 10?  I just hate floppers :-\.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 02:06:57 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Nothing, what have you heard ;) (sarcasm) ;D?  Now by "lottery pick," do you mean towards the end of the lottery or somewhere in the top 10?  I just hate floppers :-\.
Somewhere around 10. But your smart hate is on par with Eja's, OKC would be laughing if they got Smart for the 21st pick in the 17 draft
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 02:25:25 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Smart was like no.6, right?  ::)

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 04:44:11 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Somewhere around 10. But your smart hate is on par with Eja's, OKC would be laughing if they got Smart for the 21st pick in the 17 draft

Why, though?  Is it because two of his best offensive games have come in their arena, meaning that if we did, in fact, make said move, he'd turn into an all star, which would be just our luck lol ;D, or is it because, say, he'd honestly be a nice third guard for the Thunder despite his wretched offensive game? 

This thread isn't a Smart-bashing exercise, btw.  How much could we get for Rozier, for example?  Would he be enough to get, say, Chicago's pick at 16, or would we need to include more, as I'm anticipating, and what about Serena Williams?  What's her value after how she fared in the postseason? 

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 05:43:12 AM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11

No he not

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 06:26:31 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The 21st pick for Smart I think is laughable because I indeed laughed when I read it. But I'll play along with the theme gauge the players based on picks and what's available this draft.

IT, 5-9 preinjury. 8-12 now
AB, 8 to 12
Crowder, 9-14 (contract adds value)
Horford, 13-17 (contract hurts value)
Smart, 11-16
Rozier, 16-20
Brown, 2-5
KO, 25-30
Zeller, 45-55

I feel ranking this years draft the picks in this draft are likely to yield the following
1= All star
2-8= potential all star
9-16= starters
16-22= role/rotation players
23-35= bench players
35-45= end of bench players
45+= d-leaguers.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 06:44:54 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I also wanted to add but keep comment separate that though we always project what a player may become we also have to take into account the fact that it usually takes 4 years for him to prove himself. And then another 2 after that to solidify himself. So though we love draft picks having to wait for that development and gamble for many teams isn't worth it. C's for example could bump the value for all their guys up 2 or 3 spots because they are a playoff team and don't want to take a step back. A team like 76ers may offer some guys cheap because they want more shots to find gems. So value isn't set for every team.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 12:51:32 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
The 21st pick for Smart I think is laughable because I indeed laughed when I read it. But I'll play along with the theme gauge the players based on picks and what's available this draft.

AB, 8 to 12
Smart, 11-16
Rozier, 16-20
Brown, 2-5
KO, 25-30
Zeller, 45-55

I feel ranking this years draft the picks in this draft are likely to yield the following
1= All star
2-8= potential all star
9-16= starters
16-22= role/rotation players
23-35= bench players
35-45= end of bench players
45+= d-leaguers.

Thanks for your contribution :). I just have a question for you regarding Horford - do you think he's enough to get 15 and 20 from Portland in exchange for Festus Ezeli, who they're going to waive, anyway, and Tim Quarterman, who we could waive before his deal becomes guaranteed (it works on the trade machine).  The Blazers really need a power forward and I want those picks, lol ;D. I'm not trolling, btw, although I hope that you weren't drinking anything while reading this ;), haha ;D.

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 02:02:44 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548

AB, 8 to 12
Smart, 11-16
Rozier, 16-20
Brown, 2-5
KO, 25-30
Zeller, 45-55

I think these rankings are about right, with the one exception being smart. He's worth a late first round pick at best. I know his defense is exceptional but he's literally one of the worst offensive guards in the league and for that reason alone its hard for him to be a long term starter. Add to the fact that the league has quite a glut of PG's and he's in the last year of his deal. I was listening to the Dunc'd on podcast recently and they pegged his trade value as early 2nd rounder.

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 02:48:11 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

AB, 8 to 12
Smart, 11-16
Rozier, 16-20
Brown, 2-5
KO, 25-30
Zeller, 45-55

I think these rankings are about right, with the one exception being smart. He's worth a late first round pick at best. I know his defense is exceptional but he's literally one of the worst offensive guards in the league and for that reason alone its hard for him to be a long term starter. Add to the fact that the league has quite a glut of PG's and he's in the last year of his deal. I was listening to the Dunc'd on podcast recently and they pegged his trade value as early 2nd rounder.

Interesting.  TP for the info :).