Author Topic: Durant has gone full on villain  (Read 6860 times)

Re: Durant has gone full on villain
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 11:16:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I really don't see what's so mwahahaha (villain laugh) about what he said though.

Would you have preferred he said, yeah, I feel bad for the teams that don't have the talent to compete, but I didn't want to play joyless iso ball until I hit my early thirties just so I could earn the praise of a few sportswriters who would wax poetic about my willingness to engage in a sysyphean grind every year instead of joining a team with the talent to win a title for which I will ultimately be judged anyway?
No.  I would have been fine if he just said, one player can't create parity, and I'm not responsible for the lack of parity.  I would have been fine if he struck back at the reporter for asking a loaded question.  I would have been fine with countless other answers, but when you start naming names and basically making fun of other franchises, you cross a real line into villain territory.  Just like he did when he told everyone not to watch the playoffs if they think they are boring.  Those are just not things you expect from players.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 01:29:29 AM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
I despise Durant and I wish him and GS all the worst.

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 01:36:32 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Durant already embraced the role of a villain since the start of the season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM0IB-1xJ8s&t=32s

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 01:48:31 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I really don't see what's so mwahahaha (villain laugh) about what he said though.

Would you have preferred he said, yeah, I feel bad for the teams that don't have the talent to compete, but I didn't want to play joyless iso ball until I hit my early thirties just so I could earn the praise of a few sportswriters who would wax poetic about my willingness to engage in a sysyphean grind every year instead of joining a team with the talent to win a title for which I will ultimately be judged anyway?
No.  I would have been fine if he just said, one player can't create parity, and I'm not responsible for the lack of parity.  I would have been fine if he struck back at the reporter for asking a loaded question.  I would have been fine with countless other answers, but when you start naming names and basically making fun of other franchises, you cross a real line into villain territory.  Just like he did when he told everyone not to watch the playoffs if they think they are boring.  Those are just not things you expect from players.

To me it seemed like a pretty standard non-Spurs-player thing to say.  I think if you're inclined to see him as a villain it'll come off that way; if you aren't, it won't.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 03:32:14 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Listen to his first interview with Simmons. He has no problem being a villain. Changes things up and he isn't protected like he was in OKC anymore.

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 06:39:34 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I don't see what's wrong with what he said.

Sure, he was kind of avoiding the question, but he's right -- a lot of teams have made a lot of dumb moves, and it's asinine to blame him for the lack of parity in the NBA when most of it is a result of bad management.
Can't blame him entirely but he certainly exacerbated it.
It's not bad management that leads to lack of parity. It's the max contract. Imagine if no single player had a max contract limit. You want to spend 60% of your cap on LeBron? Ok. It's like an auction based fantasy league. Would lead to ultimate parity. But the NBA doesn't want that. They prefer the super teams.
Sports leagues are not true open competitive markets.  The max contract (and the associated pay scales) was created in part to encourage competition.  The reality is that the owners are in it together.  With TV contracts, it seems closer to a monopoly.  I'd like to hear from a real sports economist here.

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 07:23:06 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I dont like Durant but he said nothing wrong here. He is right though.

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Just another attempt to probably try to tear down another player and maybe make Lebron look better by comparison is my guess on the reasoning behind this post. Lebron asking a fan what he had ever done with his life is worse than Durant telling people to not watch it if they don't like it (both are rude). Lebron going after a reporter asking a question was also worse than this. Wasn't a smooth moment by Durant but really not a big deal... weird framing of topic

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2017, 02:21:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

To me it seemed like a pretty standard non-Spurs-player thing to say.  I think if you're inclined to see him as a villain it'll come off that way; if you aren't, it won't.
well said

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2017, 02:46:21 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Wish he was our villain. His 25 points per playoff game and 8 rebounds plus 4 assists would have gotten us to game 7 vs cavs and might have tilted series in a different way. With a healthy IT and Durant with rest of current cast, we might be in finals.

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2017, 02:48:35 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

calling out 2 miserable franchises was KD trying his absolute best to be an Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.. Absolutely 0 reason to call those franchises out especially when you take into account the fact that those franchises have nothing to do with the NBAs parity issue.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2017, 02:49:01 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Wish he was our villain. His 25 points per playoff game and 8 rebounds plus 4 assists would have gotten us to game 7 vs cavs and might have tilted series in a different way. With a healthy IT and Durant with rest of current cast, we might be in finals.
seems irrelevant.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2017, 02:57:12 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Lotta hypersensitivity in this thread.
I agree. I didn't have the slightest problem with anything he said.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2017, 03:34:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Lotta hypersensitivity in this thread.
I agree. I didn't have the slightest problem with anything he said.

Yeah much ado about nothing

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2017, 04:23:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

calling out 2 miserable franchises was KD trying his absolute best to be an ****. Absolutely 0 reason to call those franchises out especially when you take into account the fact that those franchises have nothing to do with the NBAs parity issue.
yep. That is what o had issue with and why i posted the thread.  Really just uncalled for and a pure duck move.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip