Author Topic: Ainge: "Significant change could occur"  (Read 10375 times)

Re: Ainge: "Significant change could occur"
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2017, 09:32:35 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
THIS is finally the summer. Now the front office has to decide if we go all in (which would mean 3-5 years of contention right now, packing some assets including Brooklyn pick(s) in trades) or we patiently draft two big names these years and try to contend for a decade.

I'd prefer the second way, because it doesn't mean we take steps back, as some suggest. We've overachieved this year in my opinion, but keeping this team with Fultz, Zizic and (hopefully) a good free agent can keep us in the ECF while waiting for LeBron to decline and the Warriors to dismantle. However, going all-in would mean losing most of our future assets to compete with these Cavs/GSW with no guarantee of even being at the Finals.

Ainge has said what he must say, keep all the options open just to wait other GM's movements. His approach of waiting, drafting Fultz and being aggresive with free agency doesn't need a trading partner, but anything can happen.

i will take the 10 year window anyday over the 5 year window. More chances to right the ship should be be hit with season killing injuries like in 2009 and 2011. Our 5 year window yielded two shots in the finals. A 10 year SHOULD give us 5. Give me the 10 year window every dsy and twice on sunday. Stay the course. We are in year 4 of a complete rebuild. we have stayed the course this long let's don't blow it now. What's 3 more years? at year 7 we should be ready to begin our long run.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2017, 09:32:52 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I like the fact that Danny and Brad know this team needs to improve a lot for Banner 18.  53 wins and the ECF are just fools gold as far as I'm concerned.  And I'm thankful that Danny will be the one to make those decisions.

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2017, 09:50:19 AM »

• Dennis Johnson
I like the fact that Danny and Brad know this team needs to improve a lot for Banner 18.  53 wins and the ECF are just fools gold as far as I'm concerned.  And I'm thankful that Danny will be the one to make those decisions.

do not expect ECF every year now until we finally make finals. for the young guys to develop they will need time. lots of time will equal lots of learning and mistakes. we could easily take a step or two back in the short term until we are ready for our final push to begin our long run. all part of the process....can't worry about results right now just performances and based on our 3 home performnaces we are a long way off from dethroning the cavs.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

do not expect ECF every year now until we finally make finals. for the young guys to develop they will need time. lots of time will equal lots of learning and mistakes. we could easily take a step or two back in the short term until we are ready for our final push to begin our long run. all part of the process....can't worry about results right now just performances and based on our 3 home performnaces we are a long way off from dethroning the cavs.
cripes...does that mean we have suffer through more "fire ainge" and "blow it up" threads until then????  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2017, 12:36:43 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

cripes...does that mean we have suffer through more "fire ainge" and "blow it up" threads until then????  ;D

Geez i sure hope not!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2017, 12:40:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Geez i sure hope not!

oh crap

i thought we were tanking  :D

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2017, 12:42:48 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Geez i sure hope not!

oh crap

You can pretty much count on at least 1 fire ainge thread during draft night, another when Blake Griffin signs, and a third when Gordon Hayward signs.

If Ainge trades Bradley, Id expect one there too.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2017, 12:47:55 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

Geez i sure hope not!

oh crap

heck no! no blow it up and tank, no run it back and no all in

just stay the course, draft and develop, add FA's as needed, maybe some trades as needed....

we will be ok. 
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2017, 01:17:17 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
not sure why the celtics have to go one way or another. even if they stay the course they are fine. we have the #1 pick, draft Fultz who could he help now, and a star in the future. you still have a lottery pick next year, and a 2nd year jump for Jaylen.

go out and get someone like Hayward to replace crowder(i guarantee hayward would hit some of those shots crowder was bricking). and another big or two. and you have an incredibly deep team that has more talent than last year. and maybe Fultz/jaylen develop into being stars that makes you a stacked team.

the thing is, we need to sign a FA this year because next year with THomas/bradley/smart up for re-ups the capspace will be gone. signing someone this year would allow us to go over the cap to retain players.

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2017, 02:41:37 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
People who think we are going to target griffin or butler need to read

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2017, 06:13:11 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Ainge, from the original piece:

"But I feel like it doesn’t really matter what we’ve accomplished. If we’d lost Game 7 against the Wizards, I don’t feel any different than if we’re where we are today."

This is important and 100% right. Everything in that Wizards series pointed to the Celtics not really being the better team, only that whichever team had homecourt advantage was going to advance and be beat by the Cavs. The front office should not build as though the C's are really close to the Cavs. They're not yet.

“Just because you’re one piece away doesn’t mean you can get it. And if you force yourself to get it, and if you force a deal or force yourself to get the second best available or the third or fourth best available player at that position that you need, then it might not make you that much better or make you still not good enough, and you’re stuck."

This is the other important bit and explains why we didn't see Ainge mortgage the farm for Butler or George (or Cousins or Noel, I guess) at the deadline. He knows the team is farther away than that. I also take this to mean he's unlikely to trade the #1 pick for anything less than a superstar. And there just might not be a true superstar available this summer.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2017, 06:18:54 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
This article eases me a little. I was getting kind of worried thinking about Ainge reaching for something and trading away the chance at having Fultz on this team for years to come. I'd seriously consider trading the Brooklyn 2018 pick in a package with Crowder and Rozier for a shot at Paul George but its hard to know if Brooklyn is going to be just as bad next year or rise from the bottom of the pack a little.

The only person I think is worth trading this #1 pick for (who you can conceive of being traded) is Anthony Davis.

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2017, 06:27:37 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
THIS is finally the summer. Now the front office has to decide if we go all in (which would mean 3-5 years of contention right now, packing some assets including Brooklyn pick(s) in trades) or we patiently draft two big names these years and try to contend for a decade.

I'd prefer the second way, because it doesn't mean we take steps back, as some suggest. We've overachieved this year in my opinion, but keeping this team with Fultz, Zizic and (hopefully) a good free agent can keep us in the ECF while waiting for LeBron to decline and the Warriors to dismantle. However, going all-in would mean losing most of our future assets to compete with these Cavs/GSW with no guarantee of even being at the Finals.

Ainge has said what he must say, keep all the options open just to wait other GM's movements. His approach of waiting, drafting Fultz and being aggresive with free agency doesn't need a trading partner, but anything can happen.

i will take the 10 year window anyday over the 5 year window. More chances to right the ship should be be hit with season killing injuries like in 2009 and 2011. Our 5 year window yielded two shots in the finals. A 10 year SHOULD give us 5. Give me the 10 year window every dsy and twice on sunday. Stay the course. We are in year 4 of a complete rebuild. we have stayed the course this long let's don't blow it now. What's 3 more years? at year 7 we should be ready to begin our long run.

Why can't we have both?  The team is competing right now, and while they are not on Cleveland's or GSW's level (and maybe not SA), they are as good or better than every other team in the league.

Why can't we draft Fultz, bring on Zizic, Nader, and maybe Yabusele, add them to Jaylen, T Roz, and YGC, and have a young talented core supporting a veteran core with IT, Horford, and Hayward (and maybe Bradley and Crowder)?

I still have not heard the concrete argument as to why Danny wouldn't resign this entire core when they are free agents.  Bradley is only 25 years old!  Why do people want to get rid of him after he had his best season ever?!?

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2017, 06:31:39 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
This article eases me a little. I was getting kind of worried thinking about Ainge reaching for something and trading away the chance at having Fultz on this team for years to come. I'd seriously consider trading the Brooklyn 2018 pick in a package with Crowder and Rozier for a shot at Paul George but its hard to know if Brooklyn is going to be just as bad next year or rise from the bottom of the pack a little.

The only person I think is worth trading this #1 pick for (who you can conceive of being traded) is Anthony Davis.

^^^

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2017, 06:39:14 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

^^^

yup. been sayin'
LET'S GO CELTICS!