Author Topic: Ainge: "Significant change could occur"  (Read 10345 times)

Re: Ainge: "Significant change could occur"
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2017, 11:41:24 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
One question and many answers. Question being, what will happen to the Celtics lineup this off season. 'What to do' conversations seem to centre around the debate over should you try to compete now (next season) for a championship or accept that GSW and the Cavs are so good you are better off waiting for your young core to develop as those two teams age.

I really want the Celtics to get significantly better, which I believe they will, but that requires the philosophy of 'compete now'. Fultz will more than likely arrive, Brown will be a year older - the team gets better with no effort really - but to be a contender we know it has to get a lot better. That is what requires significant change. Hayward and at least one other all star. To contend though I really believe that, as much as I admire IT, he can't compete against the starting 5 of GSW or the Cavs. He has to be a sixth man and that means you need somebody else at PG. I'm not thinking Smart, AB or Rozier at this stage. This is the conundrum for me.
same here

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2017, 11:43:25 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Oooh...fireworks!   Ainge won't do anything.   He doesnt really have to. They'll just draft Fultz,  try to sign GH, who will stay in Utah and start next season with a fairly familiar lineup.  There is zero pressure on danny or the ownership to win championships.   They win enough to fill the stadium and the Celtics fans are the most content fanbase  in the NBA.    Why would they rock the boat.

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2017, 11:52:08 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
Ainge is also the same GM that traded the #5 pick for Ray Allen without knowing for certain he could get KG, who by the way was near the end of his prime when Ainge traded for him.

I would absolutely not put it past Ainge to trade for Paul George if we don't have to give up Fultz/Jaylen.

I believe Danny said that he doesn't want to do that again, i.e. have a short championship window.

That team was great but the window closed fast and there wasn't any depth past the starters.  The first year when we won we had a bench, but the business of the NBA depleted our bench and wouldn't let us sign any quality back ups.  We spend a lot of money for stars at the end of their career and when they couldn't produce anymore we were done. 

I think everything that Danny and Wyc have said points to the long game.  They are trying to build something that will last like San Antonio.

The Championship team had plenty of depth, but Wyc didn't want to stay over the cap to re-sign Posey, Perk, Powe et al. So the depth went to pot. And then KG hurt his knee. And that was that. The impression I got was Wyc just didn't want to go over the cap again to win another championship. Danny has had that constraint ever since. It's possible Wyc will reconsider that this FA season, as the team is getting close to serious contention.

The Celtics aren't like the Lakers. They don't have as big revenues. The Lakers are always over the cap--at least before they started rebuilding.
Posey would have been an overpay based on what he got. The mistake was letting Tony Allen go - Ainge has admitted as much

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2017, 11:54:28 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
Almost 1/2 the team is gonna be gone--just to make room for Hayward's contract.

Really just the half of Amir, Olynyk, and Jerebko.

So the crap half.
If you want to be objective about it, these guys all sucked this season for the most part - though Olynyk had his moments. He also had plenty of moments when he looked lost - several in the Cleveland series in fact. 

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2017, 12:33:02 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Ainge is also the same GM that traded the #5 pick for Ray Allen without knowing for certain he could get KG, who by the way was near the end of his prime when Ainge traded for him.

I would absolutely not put it past Ainge to trade for Paul George if we don't have to give up Fultz/Jaylen.

I think if he can sign Hayward, he goes in for a big. You don't need two of Smart/Bradley/Crowder/Rozier with Hayward/Brown/Fultz/IT. I love our guys but sometimes you need to put a package together worthy of an All-Star.

Does Ainge put together a Godfather of an offer for an All-NBA-caliber big if he convinces Hayward to come to Boston? I could see it.

Something like Nets '18, Crowder, Smart.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2017, 01:24:14 AM »

Offline BostonClamCrowdah

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14

I think if he can sign Hayward, he goes in for a big. You don't need two of Smart/Bradley/Crowder/Rozier with Hayward/Brown/Fultz/IT. I love our guys but sometimes you need to put a package together worthy of an All-Star.

Does Ainge put together a Godfather of an offer for an All-NBA-caliber big if he convinces Hayward to come to Boston? I could see it.

Something like Nets '18, Crowder, Smart.

That's a Godfather of an offer....?

That's gonna get a lot of laughs

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2017, 02:35:35 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
There is no way in hell they can trade the Brooklyn picks now

****, I dunno if an all star team could beat either GSW or Cleveland at  this point

Gotta build for the post LeBron era... no way to beat him for the next 3-4 years IMO

Sensless statement. He lost some finals too, you know. And he's 32 as well.
One more thing. If Cavs lose this finals there will be some changes over there and you never know which kind of, so we better get ready for the coming season to jump in.

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2017, 02:38:43 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
There is no way in hell they can trade the Brooklyn picks now

****, I dunno if an all star team could beat either GSW or Cleveland at  this point

Gotta build for the post LeBron era... no way to beat him for the next 3-4 years IMO
He lost against stacked teams with multiple hall of famers

Sensless statement. He lost some finals too, you know. And he's 32 as well.
One more thing. If Cavs lose this finals there will be some changes over there and you never know which kind of, so we better get ready for the coming season to jump in.

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2017, 05:24:52 AM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Looks like he just wants to add via free agency and draft, and will consider trades but leaning against it
Or Looks like this thing is getting blown up. Waiting out lebron and golden state and developing fultz/brown/18 core could be smart

He's basically saying he's not gonna trade our future for the butlers and Georges of the world.

A lot will be dependent on what we’re able to pull off in the draft and in deals leading up to free agency and then what happens in free agency.
he's considering trading down to get a star and a pick ? What else would be "pull off in the draft"

And ive been knocked for saying this but i will say it again. I. Wouldnt be suprised to see a trade with either LA or Philly or Suns for this years #1 pick to draft 2nd, 3rd or 4th to gain annextra lottery pick next year. Question is what team makes most sense to trade with that will get us another lottery pick next year. LA, Philly or the Suns. I dont see him trading with any team outside of #4. Either way we are looking at either Fultz, Jackson or Tatum with two possible lottery picks next year and the 018 draft is how i see it a 3 player draft with Porter, Ayton and Bamba considering either one doesnt fall or someone climbs that latter.

Good move by DA although im not against just drafting Fultz but if it could get ussay Jackson or Tatum and Porter and Bamba or Ayton that would be the goal i guess if thats what he means by trading down.

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2017, 05:33:27 AM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I dont see any sense of trading either Brooklyn pick. Stay the course and build for the post Lebron era. Im with it 100%. It would be idiotic to throw away the future to try n win now. Be smart and be patient. We come this far and just a few more years this brooklyn deal will pay off dividends for an entire decade. Dont go trading such great picks for a Butler or George or anyone else for that matter Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. unless its Anthony Davis. We r not gonna challenge GSW or CLE with anykind of trade. Build throu the draft n Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline., trade Al Horford if u have to get more picks. Makes to much sense i see people wanting to throw all that away trying to rush a tittle when its not even possible. Id take 5 tittles in ten years over 1 or 2 tries.

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2017, 07:06:06 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
THIS is finally the summer. Now the front office has to decide if we go all in (which would mean 3-5 years of contention right now, packing some assets including Brooklyn pick(s) in trades) or we patiently draft two big names these years and try to contend for a decade.

I'd prefer the second way, because it doesn't mean we take steps back, as some suggest. We've overachieved this year in my opinion, but keeping this team with Fultz, Zizic and (hopefully) a good free agent can keep us in the ECF while waiting for LeBron to decline and the Warriors to dismantle. However, going all-in would mean losing most of our future assets to compete with these Cavs/GSW with no guarantee of even being at the Finals.

Ainge has said what he must say, keep all the options open just to wait other GM's movements. His approach of waiting, drafting Fultz and being aggresive with free agency doesn't need a trading partner, but anything can happen.

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2017, 07:37:53 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
“...there is a potential for there to be some significant change,” said Ainge. “But maybe less change. Maybe more change; maybe not.
This is a typical Ainge non-committal statement.  So I don't think this is necessarily the summer of change:
I know that we still have more to do, and, you know, that next step is by far the hardest.”

"You need special players."  Remember he said that, quite while ago.  If Fultz is consensus #1 pick, I don't see him trading down, just to get another pick.

“I think sometimes teams make false assumptions of their team based on things like that. I think that our team is not that much different than a lot of our competition in the East.
He is talking about Toronto, Indiana, Atlanta, Washington, and maybe Chicago, Miami.

“As I look around the league, I think sometimes the mistakes that are made are when you’re just that little bit, just that one piece away and you can’t get that piece... if you force a deal or force yourself to get the second-best available or the third- or fourth-best available player at that position that you need, then it might not make you that much better or make you still not good enough, and you’re stuck.
He seems to be talking about Toronto, among others.

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2017, 08:38:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This is a typical Ainge non-committal statement.  So I don't think this is necessarily the summer of change:

I think Ainge is not afraid to do what he thinks will improve the team.  He traded PP and KG so trading IT or the like will be a cakewalk.   

Besides how you can watch the CLE series and say this team does not need significant change?

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2017, 08:42:53 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I think Ainge is not afraid to do what he thinks will improve the team.  He traded PP and KG so trading IT or the like will be a cakewalk.   

Besides how you can watch the CLE series and say this team does not need significant change?
I don't, it needs significant change.  Whether Ainge makes big changes this summer is the question.  Nobody knows, but he is holding out the possibility of no big moves.

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2017, 09:12:24 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I hope this summer, DA makes a decision on team direction. Now, whether he chooses win now or development, I'd be fine with it. But make a decision.

Win now would entail trading the BKN picks, because there's no way you can upgrade enough to be a legit contender without trading them. They have so much value.

Development entails keeping the BKN picks. And as good as this team is, it'll be a while (at least 3 years?) before our young guns become all stars (hopefully).
- LilRip