Author Topic: Ainge: "Significant change could occur"  (Read 10414 times)

Re: Ainge: "Significant change could occur"
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 08:42:13 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
i could n't go on ...if they let James Young go

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 08:43:20 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Ainge is also the same GM that traded the #5 pick for Ray Allen without knowing for certain he could get KG, who by the way was near the end of his prime when Ainge traded for him.

I would absolutely not put it past Ainge to trade for Paul George if we don't have to give up Fultz/Jaylen.

I believe Danny said that he doesn't want to do that again, i.e. have a short championship window.

That team was great but the window closed fast and there wasn't any depth past the starters.  The first year when we won we had a bench, but the business of the NBA depleted our bench and wouldn't let us sign any quality back ups.  We spend a lot of money for stars at the end of their career and when they couldn't produce anymore we were done. 

I think everything that Danny and Wyc have said points to the long game.  They are trying to build something that will last like San Antonio.

Absolutely.  Building quite the stockpile of stashed talent with all those 2nds and late 1sts. You don't need many to make it to be a success, and then they are also trade chips, PLUS boosts the value of the Claws by having guys with connections to the big club.

Gotta say, he's a much better GM than he was a player. Perennial allstar GM right there.

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 09:11:11 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Almost 1/2 the team is gonna be gone--just to make room for Hayward's contract.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 09:22:46 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Ainge is also the same GM that traded the #5 pick for Ray Allen without knowing for certain he could get KG, who by the way was near the end of his prime when Ainge traded for him.

I would absolutely not put it past Ainge to trade for Paul George if we don't have to give up Fultz/Jaylen.
KG was a hall of fame. Paul george is not a hall of famer

I get it if ainge trades for potential hall of famers like davis or towns or Durant. But a rental of Paul george isn't taking this team anywhere

I think the analogy would be more like trading BKN 18 for Paul George (Ray Allen), and then trading Fultz/Brown both for Davis (KG).

Then your Pierce/Allen/Garnett is IT/George/Davis. Maybe IT/Hayward/George/Davis if you can jam enough salary out the door.

This would be the move.

You sign Hayward (Max)

You trade for Davis (Nets 17, Grizz 19, Brown)

Now you go to George and ask him to sign extension. He will sign extension with Hayward and Davis on board. (Nets 18, AB, KO, Rozier)

IT
Hayward
George
Davis
Horford

Let IT walk in 2018 and resign George.

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 09:27:03 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

KG was a hall of fame. Paul george is not a hall of famer

I get it if ainge trades for potential hall of famers like davis or towns or Durant. But a rental of Paul george isn't taking this team anywhere

I think the analogy would be more like trading BKN 18 for Paul George (Ray Allen), and then trading Fultz/Brown both for Davis (KG).

Then your Pierce/Allen/Garnett is IT/George/Davis. Maybe IT/Hayward/George/Davis if you can jam enough salary out the door.

This would be the move.

You sign Hayward (Max)

You trade for Davis (Nets 17, Grizz 19, Brown)

Now you go to George and ask him to sign extension. He will sign extension with Hayward and Davis on board. (Nets 18, AB, KO, Rozier)

IT
Hayward
George
Davis
Horford

Let IT walk in 2018 and resign George.

We're gonna be talking about multiple championships with that lineup.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 09:29:38 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
That's a dream line up. We have to wait for davis to be disgruntled the same way that KG was. Or maybe it'll be towns. They'll have to force a trade to give us leverage

The best part is Davis now plays with the player no one enjoys playing next to. This should help speed that up. Come on cousins, fight with Davis the way you fight with anyone else that tries to play basketball around you

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 09:32:45 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
That's a dream line up. We have to wait for davis to be disgruntled the same way that KG was. Or maybe it'll be towns. They'll have to force a trade to give us leverage

The best part is Davis now plays with the player no one enjoys playing next to. This should help speed that up. Come on cousins, fight with Davis the way you fight with anyone else that tries to play basketball around you

It's also a dream where the cba and the salary cap aren't extant.

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 10:02:06 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557

I believe Danny said that he doesn't want to do that again, i.e. have a short championship window.

That team was great but the window closed fast and there wasn't any depth past the starters.  The first year when we won we had a bench, but the business of the NBA depleted our bench and wouldn't let us sign any quality back ups.  We spend a lot of money for stars at the end of their career and when they couldn't produce anymore we were done. 

I think everything that Danny and Wyc have said points to the long game.  They are trying to build something that will last like San Antonio. 

yep as i have said many times a 10 year window with our big 3 top picks and hopefuly can add as years go by and develop others behind them. not an easy task. but we should be good for a 10 year run at worst.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 10:12:57 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Is it possible to bring in more pump n dump players?ainge has a penchant for finding them. I could see him having three strings really to play and going at it like a hockey game with 4 minute shifts if the right deal doesn't come along.

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 10:44:38 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

The Championship team had plenty of depth, but Wyc didn't want to stay over the cap to re-sign Posey, Perk, Powe et al. So the depth went to pot. And then KG hurt his knee. And that was that. The impression I got was Wyc just didn't want to go over the cap again to win another championship. Danny has had that constraint ever since. It's possible Wyc will reconsider that this FA season, as the team is getting close to serious contention.

The Celtics aren't like the Lakers. They don't have as big revenues. The Lakers are always over the cap--at least before they started rebuilding.

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 10:48:57 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Sorry but I am not buying into the 'we will wait to win' notion. Ainge has a stockpile of assets and loves to trade, he's not waiting for a few years to build a contender. Cleveland can be beaten next year and so can Golden State.

Time will tell but I see his comments as a smokescreen to hide a major move. He will try to land a superstar and probably will do it. If we simply had IT and a big time rebounder this series would have been close. I say he moves next years Brooklyn pick and another player for a budding superstar then makes a mid season move that puts us in contention for years!

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 10:49:47 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Almost 1/2 the team is gonna be gone--just to make room for Hayward's contract.

Really just the half of Amir, Olynyk, and Jerebko.

So the crap half.

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 10:50:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Hate to say it, but I could see someone like Bradley leaving this off season.

Even if they add Fultz, Hayward. They need a starting PF and a backup big man.

And they lose MLE by signing Hayward, so they just have a room exception.

Which makes Bradley + future non-BKN picks expendable for a moderate PF upgrade.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 11:35:04 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
One question and many answers. Question being, what will happen to the Celtics lineup this off season. 'What to do' conversations seem to centre around the debate over should you try to compete now (next season) for a championship or accept that GSW and the Cavs are so good you are better off waiting for your young core to develop as those two teams age.

I really want the Celtics to get significantly better, which I believe they will, but that requires the philosophy of 'compete now'. Fultz will more than likely arrive, Brown will be a year older - the team gets better with no effort really - but to be a contender we know it has to get a lot better. That is what requires significant change. Hayward and at least one other all star. To contend though I really believe that, as much as I admire IT, he can't compete against the starting 5 of GSW or the Cavs. He has to be a sixth man and that means you need somebody else at PG. I'm not thinking Smart, AB or Rozier at this stage. This is the conundrum for me.

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 11:40:02 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
i could n't go on ...if they let James Young go

Lol, TP ;D.