Author Topic: Ainge: "Significant change could occur"  (Read 10377 times)

Ainge: "Significant change could occur"
« on: May 26, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246066/Significant-Change-Could-Occur-For-Celtics-In-Offseason
Says it is good that they are all on the same page (ownership, DA, and CBS) and that they do not have to deal with a coach freaking out to get better this minute or do a certain trade that will hamstring them later.

This is on RealGM and from the Herald. Read yourself and take from it what you will.

Nothing surprising from DA. Admits GM's can do more harm when they are only a piece away and end up forcing a deal.....

Herald:
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2017/05/bulpett_danny_ainge_acknowledges_significant_change_could_come_for_celtics
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 06:38:00 PM by Future Celtics Owner »

Re: Ainge: "Significant change could occur"
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 06:35:56 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Looks like he just wants to add via free agency and draft, and will consider trades but leaning against it
Or Looks like this thing is getting blown up. Waiting out lebron and golden state and developing fultz/brown/18 core could be smart

He's basically saying he's not gonna trade our future for the butlers and Georges of the world.

A lot will be dependent on what we’re able to pull off in the draft and in deals leading up to free agency and then what happens in free agency.
he's considering trading down to get a star and a pick ? What else would be "pull off in the draft"
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:14:22 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 06:39:31 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Most of what Ainge says in that article is the need to remain patient and not screw it all up by making a trade just to try to force the issue to try to make the next step. Those type of trades backfire. He also says there may not be much change.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 06:40:53 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Looks like this thing is getting blown up. Waiting out lebron and golden state and developing fultz/brown/18 core sounds smart

He's basically saying he's not gonna trade our future for the butlers and Georges of the world.

There's nothing to 'blow up', unless you are referring to Gerald Green, Jerebko, Amir etc. IT and Horford are highly likely to stay here long term. Ainge's comments seem much more like he's saying don't expect big moves.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 06:41:20 PM »

• Ray Allen
DA will see what opportunities present themselves and go from there. It's great that he acknowledges that even with IT we are basically the same as most playoff teams not named Cavs and GSW (possibly spurs too).

What was most telling and exciting for me...was DA admitting the harm GM's can do when they get caught up in the moment and force something just for the sake of getting immediately better....but it will hamstring you later on.

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 06:44:21 PM »

Offline BostonClamCrowdah

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
There is no way in hell they can trade the Brooklyn picks now

Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline., I dunno if an all star team could beat either GSW or Cleveland at  this point

Gotta build for the post LeBron era... no way to beat him for the next 3-4 years IMO

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 06:46:18 PM »

• Ray Allen
Looks like this thing is getting blown up. Waiting out lebron and golden state and developing fultz/brown/18 core sounds smart

There's nothing to 'blow up', unless you are referring to Gerald Green, Jerebko, Amir etc. IT and Horford are highly likely to stay here long term. Ainge's comments seem much more like he's saying don't expect big moves.
Of course there is something that can be blown up.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 07:06:29 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Basically:

Don't trade Brooklyn picks for the Jimmy Butlers of the world, and don't pay $20M for the the Avery Bradley's of the world.

Danny's gonna draft Fultz and try to sign Hayward because neither one costs us anything, and both have the potential to be long term solutions. He's going to develop Jaylen Brown unless someone offers up a bona fide star for him.

Common sense prevails. So glad he's our GM.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 07:22:14 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
This article eases me a little. I was getting kind of worried thinking about Ainge reaching for something and trading away the chance at having Fultz on this team for years to come. I'd seriously consider trading the Brooklyn 2018 pick in a package with Crowder and Rozier for a shot at Paul George but its hard to know if Brooklyn is going to be just as bad next year or rise from the bottom of the pack a little.

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 07:27:03 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Considering that Amir looks completely cooked and there's no way we can afford to resign IT, Avery, Smart and KO, even if we don't grab another max free agent, there's almost no way there can't be big changes this offseason.

Mike

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 07:30:51 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Ainge is also the same GM that traded the #5 pick for Ray Allen without knowing for certain he could get KG, who by the way was near the end of his prime when Ainge traded for him.

I would absolutely not put it past Ainge to trade for Paul George if we don't have to give up Fultz/Jaylen.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 07:31:57 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Ainge is also the same GM that traded the #5 pick for Ray Allen without knowing for certain he could get KG, who by the way was near the end of his prime when Ainge traded for him.

I would absolutely not put it past Ainge to trade for Paul George if we don't have to give up Fultz/Jaylen.
KG was a hall of fame. Paul george is not a hall of famer

I get it if ainge trades for potential hall of famers like davis or towns or Durant. But a rental of Paul george isn't taking this team anywhere
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:37:33 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 08:00:41 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

I get it if ainge trades for potential hall of famers like davis or towns or Durant. But a rental of Paul george isn't taking this team anywhere

I think the analogy would be more like trading BKN 18 for Paul George (Ray Allen), and then trading Fultz/Brown both for Davis (KG).

Then your Pierce/Allen/Garnett is IT/George/Davis. Maybe IT/Hayward/George/Davis if you can jam enough salary out the door.

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 08:14:13 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

I think the analogy would be more like trading BKN 18 for Paul George (Ray Allen), and then trading Fultz/Brown both for Davis (KG).

Then your Pierce/Allen/Garnett is IT/George/Davis. Maybe IT/Hayward/George/Davis if you can jam enough salary out the door.
With that team you still need Brown and Fulz on your bench so you can;t trade them, you can only trade other 1st round picks

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 08:31:01 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

I believe Danny said that he doesn't want to do that again, i.e. have a short championship window.

That team was great but the window closed fast and there wasn't any depth past the starters.  The first year when we won we had a bench, but the business of the NBA depleted our bench and wouldn't let us sign any quality back ups.  We spend a lot of money for stars at the end of their career and when they couldn't produce anymore we were done. 

I think everything that Danny and Wyc have said points to the long game.  They are trying to build something that will last like San Antonio.