Author Topic: As much as we hate it, we need to root for Golden State to win - and win handily  (Read 3035 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Look, as much as we might hate it given the whole Durant thing and how unlikable this Warriors team has become, it's objectively in the C's best interests for the Warriors to beat the Cavs.

There are many around the league that truly believe that had Golden State won the Finals last year, Durant would've been in Celtics green this year, and I think that's probably accurate, too. This is because not only would there be no way that Durant could've joined that team after winning the title while saving his reputation as a top-3 player in the league, it also would've made James and the Cavs look much more beatable and vulnerable in the East, along with the Warriors coming off of back-to-back titles looking invincible.

From the Celtics perspective, the same is true this year. Our two biggest free agent targets in Hayward and Griffin are in the West. So, from Boston's perspective, the best thing that can happen for us is for Golden State to win, and win handily. If the Warriors go out and spank the Cavs, then that shows both Hayward and Griffin that going East to Boston is much more likely to amount to surpassing the Cavs than staying in the West will lead to surpassing the Warriors. And this doesn't even get to the fact that Lebron is aging and going to be losing a step in the very near future; whereas, all of the main guys in Golden State are in their prime and have many high-level years left.

So as much as it might pain us to do so, we all should be rooting for the Warriors to come out and stomp the Cavs. I think this would be very beneficial to our free agent pursuits and allow us to show those free agents in the West that the easiest and really only path to the Finals is through the East, specifically Boston.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'll admit, I hate both teams a ton (mainly their annoying fanbases), so my rooting interests are "meh" at the moment, but I think at the end of the day, you also have to realize that Lebron is 32, and while he will keep playing like this for a while (3 years AT LEAST), it's not like the Warriors core will suddenly start to crumble any time soon either.

Warriors are more younger, and the East can get WIDE open if a big injury happens to the Cavs, whereas the Warriors are still extremely tough even if they lose a Curry or KD to injury for some time.

Plus out West, it's not just Golden State. Spurs won't go away, the Rockets won't either, and there are A BUNCH of gritty teams like OKC, Memphis, even Portland, and we saw a Griffin-less Clippers team still take Utah to 7 games.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Look, as much as we might hate it given the whole Durant thing and how unlikable this Warriors team has become, it's objectively in the C's best interests for the Warriors to beat the Cavs.

There are many around the league that truly believe that had Golden State won the Finals last year, Durant would've been in Celtics green this year, and I think that's probably accurate, too. This is because not only would there be no way that Durant could've joined that team after winning the title while saving his reputation as a top-3 player in the league, it also would've made James and the Cavs look much more beatable and vulnerable in the East, along with the Warriors coming off of back-to-back titles looking invincible.

From the Celtics perspective, the same is true this year. Our two biggest free agent targets in Hayward and Griffin are in the West. So, from Boston's perspective, the best thing that can happen for us is for Golden State to win, and win handily. If the Warriors go out and spank the Cavs, then that shows both Hayward and Griffin that going East to Boston is much more likely to amount to surpassing the Cavs than staying in the West will lead to surpassing the Warriors. And this doesn't even get to the fact that Lebron is aging and going to be losing a step in the very near future; whereas, all of the main guys in Golden State are in their prime and have many high-level years left.

So as much as it might pain us to do so, we all should be rooting for the Warriors to come out and stomp the Cavs. I think this would be very beneficial to our free agent pursuits and allow us to show those free agents in the West that the easiest and really only path to the Finals is through the East, specifically Boston.

I do agree that if a team guy like Blake wants to go to a team to be a second star teams like the Celtics or Wizards would seem pretty appealing as they appear last maxed out then say the Raptors or Clips. I also think it would be really good for the NBA if a team like the Celtics with two in their prime stars like Thomas and Blake playing alongside elite role players like crowder, smart, bradley was able to beat a team with 4 all-star superstars like the warriors or 3 like the Cavs. The NBA really needs to get away from stars in their mid-20's all lumping together on one team. It is a bad direction for the league. 

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
I will root for China before I root for GS.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I will root for China before I root for GS.

Perhaps if the choice was more tolerable than Lebron or GS I could see that, but to me Lebron is just as much of a villain and hard to root for as this team. I don't know how hardcore Celtics fans of the last decade can root for Lebron in any fashion.

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I don't think it will make a huge difference in Hayward's decision. You still have to beat both the Warriors and the Cavs to win a title. I think the depth of the West and LeBron's age will be bigger factors, not the outcome of Cleveland vs. Golden State necessarily. They're both really, really good.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
I don't think it will make a huge difference in Hayward's decision. You still have to beat both the Warriors and the Cavs to win a title. I think the depth of the West and LeBron's age will be bigger factors, not the outcome of Cleveland vs. Golden State necessarily. They're both really, really good.

I agree. If he doesn't see where the C's are going by now it won't matter what GS does.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I would like to see GS win because they are the better team.

However, if CLE wins, it will be because LeBron "willed" them to victory, and it I will give him credit.

I don't see any angle in which the outcome affects Boston.  I believe the Celtics have already shown the top players in the NBA that they are knocking at the door.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 07:39:50 AM by Surferdad »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
My only problem with GSW winning is Draymond Green. But if GSW wins, at least their fans are more tolerable than Cavs Lebron fans. Seriously if you look at my facebook page, most of my facebook friends who are Cavs fans have been very demeaning towards the Celtics.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Perhaps if the choice was more tolerable than Lebron or GS I could see that, but to me Lebron is just as much of a villain and hard to root for as this team. I don't know how hardcore Celtics fans of the last decade can root for Lebron in any fashion.

Tp this sums up how I feel.   I think if GS wins it is easier to disprove to the charlatans who think he the best player of all time,  He is in Jerry West, Wilt kind of guy already who is a dominant player who does not always win in his final appearances.   

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Any player that spurns the Celtics is forever listed on my "do not root" list...so I'd rather see Madonna release an album of Hee Haw's greatest hits than to see Durant win a ring! :D

Rak

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Any player that spurns the Celtics is forever listed on my "do not root" list...so I'd rather see Madonna release an album of Hee Haw's greatest hits than to see Durant win a ring! :D

Rak

Now that would be interesting.  I never knew you were a fan of Riddle and Phelps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX_q5cjRjJw

Anything but another Cavs Ring.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I dislike both teams. Although KD didn't pick us I don't dislike him as much as many others. At least he gave us a meeting. I really dislike Draymond Green but I also dislike many Cavs. I think I changed and decided to root for GS.

One reason is that if the Cavs get spanked then all these players that went there for a ring at very low pay.... will they stay and sacrifice money? Isn't Cleveland already paying luxury tax? They will need to go over even more to improve their team. Is Kyrie going to continue to accept being second fiddle? I see problems with their team and organization if they lose and I LOVE it!!

As for GS I think they soon will have major financial problems and may need to trade a guy like Klay. I would love to get him. If they win another championship they may be more willing to allow that to happen.

GS in 5

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
Strongly disagree.

If the Warriors lose, Durant will realize he made the wrong choice, opt out of his deal, and sign with the Celtics.

Furthermore, with another ring, LeBron will decide to retire on top.

Banner 18 in 2018.

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Strongly disagree.

If the Warriors lose, Durant will realize he made the wrong choice, opt out of his deal, and sign with the Celtics.

Furthermore, with another ring, LeBron will decide to retire on top.

Banner 18 in 2018.

Neither of your assumptions I agree with. KD is going nowhere. He can barely handle the criticism now much less jumping ship from another organization. He can't handle the fan and media pressure.

LeBron is FAR from retiring ring or no ring. He is still at the top of his game and he wants to be the GOAT.

The third statement about Banner 18 in 2018 I will agree with  :)