Poll

How do you feel about this years finals matchup?

As pumped as I have ever been for a series
1 (2.3%)
Pretty into it, should be a good matchup
9 (20.5%)
ok, but would prefer seeing some new teams
4 (9.1%)
Significantly less than other years 3 years in a row of same is too much
5 (11.4%)
Dislike both teams may not even watch all the games
25 (56.8%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: What is your enthusiasm for this year's final  (Read 3272 times)

What is your enthusiasm for this year's final
« on: May 26, 2017, 04:52:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Hey all,

Living in the Bay Area I have been struck how much less enthusiasm there is this year than the last two years for the Warriors. Oakland in particular, where i live, there definitely was not the same energy for regular season games or first few rounds of the playoffs (it was picking up for game 1of WCF but then softened with the Leonard injury). The friends I have talked to that are casual fans are a bit less enthusiastic than usual too given the matchup for the third year in a row. Some commented would be nice to see a new/team player involved and others went so far as to say it feels like it is the WWF choreographed by Vince McMahon taking the matchups and refs and everything into account. How do you all feel? I personally would say I definitely have less enthusiasm I have for any finals than I can really remember in the last 20 years.

Re: What is your enthusiasm for this year's final
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 04:57:14 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I selected the last option, but for me I'd change it from "may not watch all of the games" to "may not watch any of the games."

I despise both of these teams. Don't care how much talent they have, or that this is the matchup the league and its media lapdogs wanted, because I can't stand either team.

The ONLY good thing about this series is that one of these teams will lose.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 05:30:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I selected the last option, but for me I'd change it from "may not watch all of the games" to "may not watch any of the games."

I despise both of these teams. Don't care how much talent they have, or that this is the matchup the league and its media lapdogs wanted, because I can't stand either team.

Yea, I imagined there would be some people in that camp.Last year I was definitely rooting for the Warriors. Partly because I live out here and it actually helps my company a bit because they have several sponsorships with the Warriors and Curry. I also have been rubbed the wrong way by Lebron's personality for a while and also really dislike Jr Smith (always a jerk, but he hurt crowder and terry with non-basketball players). This year I hate what Durant did. Have disliked Green progressively more and Steph Curry has become a lot less likeable the last few years (I do like Klay Thompson a lot). So it is hard for me to even know who I want to win more, probably the warriors by a tiny bit. I just am less interested though. Both teams have stacked the deck so much with 3-4 in their prime all-stars and then adding veteran ring chasers for pennies to fortify their bench (korver, west, deron williams, pachulia etc) that I don't view the championship as a real accomplish for them.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 05:57:08 PM »

Offline Curley

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I am very excited for this years finals.  Two teams playing dominating basketball for a rubber match 3rd time in a row.  I think this hurt overall interest in the playoffs because this finals was basically inevitable unless injuries played a factor.  But this is must see basketball! 

Personally I had no issue with KD signing with GS for a few reasons.  First, playing with Russell must have been very frustrating.  He is a freak athlete and plays his butt off but I hate how he plays the game which is why I think KD left.  I can't blame KD for wanting to leave him to play in a perfect offensive system with GS (still wish he chose Boston obviously though).

What I am most excited for is getting to watch Lebron have to play a team with even more talent than his Cavs.  I want to see the Lebron give up, blame his teammates, coaches & quitting on the series. 

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 06:04:34 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Im a jealous fan, so I dont want any other teams to join the ranks of the all time greats. Same goes for players. I dont want Lebron James to further his resume and potentially glide past Michael Jordan. I dont want anyone who doesnt wear green to see their legacy substantially boosted.

As such, I will be rooting for GSW because no one will be that impressed with them.

No one will laud Steph Curry or KD or Draymond or Klay because they just did what they were supposed to do. Not that cool. Not that impressive.

If Lebron wins, holy smokes thats incredibly. I dont want that to happen.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 09:16:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Hard to really be excited when Boston was the last team eliminated but I'm expecting a pretty good series with two great teams.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 09:43:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'll enjoy the first couple games in which the Cavs get beaten decisively but I'm expecting ultimately to feel like these playoffs were pretty underwhelming.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 09:58:23 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
It's definitely higher today than yesterday. Yesterday I didn't want to see anymore of Cleveland. Today, I'm over it.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 08:18:59 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Lowish but higher than last year. The Durant factor makes the matchup more interesting.

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 08:30:33 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

TP.  The season is over from this Celtics fan's perspective.  It's on to the off-season, and it may have fireworks.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 08:56:53 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
need to add an option for will not watch any games.  that's the one I'd select.  once the C's stop playing, who cares what happens next until the draft

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 11:54:34 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Guess the enthusiasm may be even lower than I would have guessed. I really wish the league had a way to fix this. Also if the matchup is the same next finals I will be done with the NBA for a while. Sports without intrigue are awful

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 11:57:46 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
zero interest. indeed, i find the nba to be unwatchable as a sport. unless the celtics are involved i dont watch.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I am very excited for this years finals. 

What I am most excited for is getting to watch Lebron have to play a team with even more talent than his Cavs.  I want to see the Lebron give up, blame his teammates, coaches & quitting on the series.

Just gave me a reason to tune in. Hate Lebron's GMing and superfriends crap. Total front runner, extraordinary gifts and all.

So which game is the one to tune in?  Game 5 maybe?

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 12:15:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I am very excited for this years finals. 

Just gave me a reason to tune in. Hate Lebron's GMing and superfriends crap. Total front runner, extraordinary gifts and all.

So which game is the one to tune in?  Game 5 maybe?

A sweep by golden state would be pretty awesome because of how much whining it would cause. That being said the league would never allow that to happen.