Author Topic: Ball considering workout with 76ers after declining Celtics  (Read 6749 times)

Re: Ball considering workout with 76ers after declining Celtics
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 04:07:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
the families antics would not go over big in Boston .   They know that .  They would frowned on for acting like a bunch of wild animals.

Loudmouths need to same with the rest of the freaks and wierdos in LA

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 04:30:21 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
the families antics would not go over big in Boston .   They know that .  They would frowned on for acting like a bunch of wild animals.

I agree.

Who cares what this clown does.

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 05:01:12 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'd love to see Ball alongside Simmons. I think they would be great together. Great passing.

I'd love to see Lou Williams return to Philly and play PG alongside them two. A scorer like Lou Will would be a great fit alongside their passing ability.
Lou Williams has another year on his contract in Houston.  Is there some indication that they want to trade him?   

I'm not sold on Ball but I think he'd work best sharing the load running the offense with someone like Simmons.  I think he'd fail as a ball dominant PG.  You can never have too much great passing.  It would really make life easier and probably healthier for Embiid not to have to create so much offense on his own.   

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 05:17:13 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
just some more info on ball with respect to his ball handling and his ability to finish at the rim.

https://fansided.com/2017/05/26/lonzo-ball-scouting-report-finishing

enjoy.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 05:21:44 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

exactly

Fultz demeanor seems to just care about the gym and basketball, not selling big baller brand shoes and getting followers on IG. although I think fultz will eventually have a bigger shoe brand than ball will have. Fultz will let his game do the talking

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 05:43:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd love to see Ball alongside Simmons. I think they would be great together. Great passing.

I'd love to see Lou Williams return to Philly and play PG alongside them two. A scorer like Lou Will would be a great fit alongside their passing ability.
Lou Williams has another year on his contract in Houston.  Is there some indication that they want to trade him?   

I'm not sold on Ball but I think he'd work best sharing the load running the offense with someone like Simmons.  I think he'd fail as a ball dominant PG.  You can never have too much great passing.  It would really make life easier and probably healthier for Embiid not to have to create so much offense on his own.

Lou Williams = no, just a picture of what type of guard I'd like to see alongside Ball & Simmons.

Agreed on Ball. I think he's best off with a lot of help. A second ball-handling guard and a playmaking forward like Simmons would be excellent for him. Do not like Ball in a PG-centric offense where he has to create everything.

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 06:06:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Lou Williams = no, just a picture of what type of guard I'd like to see alongside Ball & Simmons.

Agreed on Ball. I think he's best off with a lot of help. A second ball-handling guard and a playmaking forward like Simmons would be excellent for him. Do not like Ball in a PG-centric offense where he has to create everything.

I just don't see or like that fit there with Simmons. It seems like Embiid should have the ball in his hands a lot, and having both Simmons and Ball on the team wouldn't be a good fit with as ball-dominant all of them are. They'd just take away touches and opportunities for Embiid.

Fultz fits much better with Embiid in my opinion, especially with Simmons in the mix, too, though it'd be impossible to get all three of them together.

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 06:18:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think Philly would be hilarious, because Simmons and Ball don't seem like they'd be compatible together. They both need the ball in their hands to set up others, and that's just taking even more touches away from their best player in Embiid.

Philly should make a hard push for Fultz, who would fit absolutely perfectly for them. If I was Philly, I'd trade number 3 to Sacramento for numbers 5 and 10 and then offer Danny Simmons and number 10 for number 1. They could then take Monk at 5 and a really good core moving forward of Fultz, Monk, Covington, Saric, and Embiid. I love the two-way potential of that group, and I think it fits much better together than anything they'd currently get at 3 to add to their group.

Philly should trade Simmons to the Lakers for #2 and give us #2&#3 for # 1. Now that's a trade Danny has to consider. That's a godfather offer.

Who would you take with those picks, assuming Sixers take Fultz?

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 06:22:08 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I think Lavar Ball's puppet should work out for the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th place lottery teams as well. I am now hoping he gets drafted into a remote location and a bad situation.

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 06:29:39 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I just don't see or like that fit there with Simmons. It seems like Embiid should have the ball in his hands a lot, and having both Simmons and Ball on the team wouldn't be a good fit with as ball-dominant all of them are. They'd just take away touches and opportunities for Embiid.

Fultz fits much better with Embiid in my opinion, especially with Simmons in the mix, too, though it'd be impossible to get all three of them together.
I'd say Fultz is more ball dominant than Ball.  Ball played off-ball quite a bit in UCLA's half court offense and was pretty effective with catch and shoot 3s and cuts to the basket.  Simmons and Ball are both pass first which would greatly benefit Embiid.  Embiid will get plenty of good, easy shots from their passing.  His turnovers should go down significantly and he'll be able to spend more energy dominating defensively.  Embiid averaged 2.1 assists with the Sixers poor shooting which should go up significantly if Ball's funky shot continues to fall at a high rate.   

All that being said if Fultz and Ball are available at #3 the Sixers are taking Fultz.  However  unless Fultz has a medical red flag, I don't see anyway he falls to 3.   

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 06:38:00 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I think Philly would be hilarious, because Simmons and Ball don't seem like they'd be compatible together. They both need the ball in their hands to set up others, and that's just taking even more touches away from their best player in Embiid.

Philly should make a hard push for Fultz, who would fit absolutely perfectly for them. If I was Philly, I'd trade number 3 to Sacramento for numbers 5 and 10 and then offer Danny Simmons and number 10 for number 1. They could then take Monk at 5 and a really good core moving forward of Fultz, Monk, Covington, Saric, and Embiid. I love the two-way potential of that group, and I think it fits much better together than anything they'd currently get at 3 to add to their group.

Philly should trade Simmons to the Lakers for #2 and give us #2&#3 for # 1. Now that's a trade Danny has to consider. That's a godfather offer.

Ball and jackson or tatum.

If Philly were that infatuated with Fultz so as to give up Simmons, itd make more sense to cut out the middle man. Simmons+3 could get them #1 and then some.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 06:59:15 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I'd say Fultz is more ball dominant than Ball.  Ball played off-ball quite a bit in UCLA's half court offense and was pretty effective with catch and shoot 3s and cuts to the basket.  Simmons and Ball are both pass first which would greatly benefit Embiid.  Embiid will get plenty of good, easy shots from their passing.  His turnovers should go down significantly and he'll be able to spend more energy dominating defensively.  Embiid averaged 2.1 assists with the Sixers poor shooting which should go up significantly if Ball's funky shot continues to fall at a high rate.   

All that being said if Fultz and Ball are available at #3 the Sixers are taking Fultz.  However  unless Fultz has a medical red flag, I don't see anyway he falls to 3.   

I'm not sure that I agree with any of that. I think Ball is clearly more ball-dominant than Fultz (or at least Fultz's game is much more compatible off the ball), but Fultz's terrible team this past year made him much more ball-dominant than Ball on a much better team with many more options.

I also disagree with the assessment that Fultz is a pass-first guy. Ball clearly is, but I think while Fultz is a willing and good passer, he's got more of an "attack and score" mentality than a "pass first/set up others" mentality.

I'm also suspicious of Ball's shot translating to the NBA. Yeah, he took a lot of deep threes, but I don't think that much movement on his shot translates to sustained shooting success in the NBA.

And I think Ball and Simmons have a very similar game, or as similar of a game as a PG and Point Power Forward can have. They're both looking more to make plays and set others up rather than score. But that requires having the ball much of the time and being the primary initiator of the offense, which I think takes away too many touches from a stud like Embiid.

I just think they'd maximize their team with only one of those types of playmakers (Simmons, Ball, or Fultz) alongside Embiid, who should probably have the ball in his hands 60-70% of the time anyways. Once he learns to pass out of double-teams, he'll be unstoppable, just like Lebron is unstoppable by being a great passer out of double teams. Having two other playmakers will only take precious touches away from your best player.

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 07:06:59 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

If Philly were that infatuated with Fultz so as to give up Simmons, itd make more sense to cut out the middle man. Simmons+3 could get them #1 and then some.

I was thinking about this. AB would be a really good fit for them, and they wanted him at the deadline. I wonder if a deal could be made there: Simmons and number 3 for Bradley and number 1?

Not sure that would work. That's why I said in another thread that they should trade the number 3 to Sacramento for 5 and 10 then offer Simmons and number 5 (ideally is probably what it would take over number 10) for Bradley and number 1. I love that long-term lineup for them: Fultz, AB, Covington, Saric, and Embiid, along with whoever they would take at 10 and then their future picks from LA and Sacramento. That's a tremendous two-way potential team. And the best part is that I think Colangelo would go for something like that, because they want to add more vets like AB to their young core.

That'd also work really well for us. Pick-up Monk for more scoring off of the bench and an ideal fit next to both Smart and Rozier. Then you can add Hayward this summer and go into next year with the following lineup:

PG: IT, Smart, Rozier
SG: Brown, Monk
SF: Hayward, Crowder
PF: Simmons, ?
C: Horford, Zizic

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 07:29:19 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I'm not sure that I agree with any of that. I think Ball is clearly more ball-dominant than Fultz (or at least Fultz's game is much more compatible off the ball), but Fultz's terrible team this past year made him much more ball-dominant than Ball on a much better team with many more options.

I also disagree with the assessment that Fultz is a pass-first guy. Ball clearly is, but I think while Fultz is a willing and good passer, he's got more of an "attack and score" mentality than a "pass first/set up others" mentality.

I'm also suspicious of Ball's shot translating to the NBA. Yeah, he took a lot of deep threes, but I don't think that much movement on his shot translates to sustained shooting success in the NBA.

And I think Ball and Simmons have a very similar game, or as similar of a game as a PG and Point Power Forward can have. They're both looking more to make plays and set others up rather than score. But that requires having the ball much of the time and being the primary initiator of the offense, which I think takes away too many touches from a stud like Embiid.

I just think they'd maximize their team with only one of those types of playmakers (Simmons, Ball, or Fultz) alongside Embiid, who should probably have the ball in his hands 60-70% of the time anyways. Once he learns to pass out of double-teams, he'll be unstoppable, just like Lebron is unstoppable by being a great passer out of double teams. Having two other playmakers will only take precious touches away from your best player.
I didn't say Fultz is pass first.  I said Simmons and Ball are pass first.  I agree that Fultz is more attack and score which is what makes him more ball dominant.  Ball doesn't have the skillset to be successful being ball dominant.  He's not Rondo.  He's not Westbrook.  In the half court, he's much more suited as a slick passing two guard assuming his funky shot holds up.  If I'm the Sixers, Fultz, Jackson and Fox would definitely be ahead of Ball.  After that, Ball, Tatum, Monk and Smith would be in the mix for 4th. 

I'm as high as anyone on Embiid.  If he's healthy, he'd be who I'd take to build my franchise.  However he should not have the ball 60-70% of the time on offense.  The Sixers need to form a well balanced offense around Embiid and then let Embiid dominate on defense.   

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 08:01:53 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I was thinking about this. AB would be a really good fit for them, and they wanted him at the deadline. I wonder if a deal could be made there: Simmons and number 3 for Bradley and number 1?

Not sure that would work. That's why I said in another thread that they should trade the number 3 to Sacramento for 5 and 10 then offer Simmons and number 5 (ideally is probably what it would take over number 10) for Bradley and number 1. I love that long-term lineup for them: Fultz, AB, Covington, Saric, and Embiid, along with whoever they would take at 10 and then their future picks from LA and Sacramento. That's a tremendous two-way potential team. And the best part is that I think Colangelo would go for something like that, because they want to add more vets like AB to their young core.

That'd also work really well for us. Pick-up Monk for more scoring off of the bench and an ideal fit next to both Smart and Rozier. Then you can add Hayward this summer and go into next year with the following lineup:

PG: IT, Smart, Rozier
SG: Brown, Monk
SF: Hayward, Crowder
PF: Simmons, ?
C: Horford, Zizic
If the Sixers want AB, they can just wait a year to try to get him in free agency.  If they trade for him, there is a high likelihood that they'll lose him in free agency. 

If I'm the Sixers, I'd try to get Butler if he goes on the market.  The two years left on his contract is quite attractive.  Embiid is already a foul drawing/shooting machine and Butler is at the top of the league too.  Having two guys like that is extremely beneficial especially in the playoffs.  Butler's size is a plus over AB as well.       

Simmons/Butler/Covington/Embiid is a really nice balanced core with good size.  Maybe add someone like Jrue Holliday in free agency.  I'm assuming Saric would be part of the Butler trade but if not he'd be better off the bench.