Poll

Would you pay him 4 years 120 million

Yes
40 (27.6%)
No
105 (72.4%)

Total Members Voted: 145

Author Topic: Poll: Yes or No Thomas at 30 million per year  (Read 12620 times)

Poll: Yes or No Thomas at 30 million per year
« on: May 26, 2017, 02:53:27 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 I love the little guy, but not at that number.
 What example is there of a 5'8" player leading his team to a title?

Ainge did a great job like Bill Belichick would. Get maximum value for a player and move on when it gets to pricey.

If you are on board with keeping him just take a second to say yes. I fully endorse giving him Max type money.

30 million for Thomas
 32 million for Hayward
 28 million for Horford

That's about 90% of the cap space. Horford is a subpar max player, and Thomas can't play defense. Can't give him the Max.

Re: Poll: Yes or No Thomas at 30 million per year
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 03:01:00 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Wanted to add that I love Chris Paul, but who else has noticed he cannot make it out of the second round healthy.

Thomas after his best season ever, Couldn't finish out the second round healthy. And may need hip surgery this off season.

He's turning 30 Guys when his contract is up.

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 03:01:45 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548
So let me say this. Its not about the money with IT. Say 30 million a year for three years after his contracts ends next year would be fine by me. Its the year 4 and 5 he would command on a max deal. In year 5 at 33-34 years old he would be making 40 million. That is crazy.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 03:03:01 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548
So let me say this. Its not about the money with IT. Say 30 million a year for three years after his contracts ends next year would be fine by me. Its the year 4 and 5 he would command on a max deal. In year 5 at 33-34 years old he would be making 40 million. That is crazy.

Although too be honest the way he plays at his size even year 3 of that deal could be bad.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 03:39:06 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I realy love IT4, but I say trade him! I just think it is momentum and I'm affraid we would never exchange him at better price than now. It's not that I don't believe in him. It's just all about Fultz. Fultz is something we didn't have drafted since Pierce and we just have to keep him. To have him alongside IT is just too much. Especialy if you give IT a max. IT will take huge money on this or that way and I'm glad for him. Wish him all the best. Although, if Ainge decides opposite to this, I'll be happy to have him on our team, no matter what.

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 03:39:09 AM »

Offline jdrocko

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
if we don't sign any big FA I'd like to renegotiate his deal to something like a 4 years 26m/y contract...he would get paid and we'll be competitive riding this core till Horford/IT contract end while developing young players...but Danny has to take some hard decisions

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 03:45:54 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
What seems obvious is that we have to bring some big name(s). Now is the time... We just have all the weapon.The rest can wait.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 04:35:56 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Right, we have one great player but all the armchair GMs think he should be traded because of his height.
But Al (the big softie) Horford is worth a max contract. GMAB
 IT can't defend because of his height (which I can't really disagree with) but Marcus Smart and Jae Crowder are great defenders- yeah, how did that work against Cleveland?
Someone has to be able to score, and IT is one of the best in the league. Just pay him the going rate.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 04:51:12 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
He is worth that money on a 3 year deal.

If we strike out on signing any free agents this summer, it might be wise for Danny to offer to trash Thomas' final year and give him $90 Million over 3 years. Not sure if that's even possible but I'm throwing it out there.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 05:06:55 AM by JSD »
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 05:27:48 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
It's all about expected return for what you are paying. I agree that Horford on the max is not getting the same return as say, Lebron, Durant, Curry, Leonard etc. on the max. I also agree that he's flawed as a player, not scoring much outside the system and rebounding poorly.

The reason I don't mind his deal as much as I do Thomas' next one is because:

1) He was an outside FA, so we got him for 4 years instead of 5 and at less than the home team max.
2) His game isn't dependent on athleticism and he should age well. I don't think there will be a huge difference between him at 33 (his last year of the deal) and right now (almost 31).
3) There are no viable alternatives to him in the draft or in free agency.

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 06:07:24 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
That's sub-max. Of course you sign him.

Individual: All-NBA Second Team. 28.9 ppg (3rd). .625 eFG% (9th). 10.9 Offensive Win Shares (2nd)

Team: #1 seed in the Conference. 7th best offense. 2nd in assists per possession.

Intangibles: Played after losing his sister, after getting teeth knocked out, after tearing his labrum. Elite 4th quarter scorer. Leader.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 06:15:04 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yes -- but I'm trading his ass first good opportunity that presents itself.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 06:22:16 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Six players in NBA history have scored more than 28 ppg with a TS% over .620.

Three are in the HOF. Two others have won MVPs (Curry, Durant). Then there's IT.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 06:55:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think the Cavs series showed that IT was really our leader.   When he got hurt and he was hurt all series we rolled up in ball and died.

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 06:57:48 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Six players in NBA history have scored more than 28 ppg with a TS% over .620.

Three are in the HOF. Two others have won MVPs (Curry, Durant). Then there's IT.

Nate "Tiny " Archibald   28.2 ppg with 9.2 assists in 71-72 and then a whopping 34 ppg with 11.4 assists!!!!!  But he never won a title until he met Bird.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-