Author Topic: Going all in  (Read 8914 times)

Re: Going all in
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2017, 10:00:14 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
IT, Fultz, Horford and a whole bunch of quality role players.

That's a great starting point, and we will have a bunch of cap space.

I will continue repeating this over the next couple of months.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2017, 10:02:29 AM »

Offline CF0022

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 3
WE can then maybe just go after Hayward or whatever.  Fultz vs Jimmy butler who has more value to us is a good debate though. Also whether Fultz or AB would be better off the bench.

With IT hurt Smart more than likely will be our starting pg to start the year. We dont even know who our starting pg is right now with IT hurt.  It could be rozier or Fultz. 

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2017, 10:05:09 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
No you are right Butler isn't good enough to get us over the top. The point is to move Bradley to the bench and get Butler and Hayward and keep our young core while also keeping the 18 pick.

Also it's a hypothetical of something id "consider" depending on fultz and if we aren't going to be able to make moves for other players that would put us in better position in the future.  Ultimately we are going to start losing players and value here.

Ainge hasn't been building this for nothing, but i explained that here.  Not saying i'd do it.  It's a hypethical if i were to make a move to go all in at this point.
Given his pending free agency, his deficiencies combined with his likely salary demands, I don't see how AB is part of the equation going forward. He's a nice player, but within the realities of the salary cap, it makes no sense to pay $20M plus for a role player.

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2017, 10:11:03 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Things we shouldn't do:

1) "Blow it up";

2) "Run it back";

3) "Go All In"

Draft and keep Fultz, keep IT, Horford and Jaylen, sign Hayward.  If those things happen, I expect I'll be happy.

Definitely this. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2017, 10:28:14 AM »

Offline CF0022

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 3
I think I explained my thought process enough to warrant a better response than that though. 

Going all in on fultz is the same thing. This wasn't me going all in.  just a scenario.

Also a lot of what i say is true and shows my ability to comprehend other viewpoints.

The C's are going to value the pick and they should. The fact I even said that says quite a bit.

Also there are some good ideas here.

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2017, 10:48:16 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
Trade the pick and Crowder for Butler.  Sign Hayward.   Continue to develop Smart, Jaylen and KO.  We can only develop so many players.  We need a 6th man and AB is as good an option as any.

The other option is to go with Fultz and win through gaining experience but that isn't working so far.  We've gotten progressively better but in order to jump ahead of teams like Cleveland and GS that is a big step.

These in between options make very little sense to me. They aren't going to get us over the top.

WE ARE NOT TRADING FULTZ FOR BUTLER..............JUST STOP!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2017, 11:10:30 AM »

• Dennis Johnson
Things we shouldn't do:

1) "Blow it up";

2) "Run it back";

3) "Go All In"

Draft and keep Fultz, keep IT, Horford and Jaylen, sign Hayward.  If those things happen, I expect I'll be happy.

Definitely this. 

agree with roy. we blew it up in 2013.......we are not running it back because we have too much deadwood right now and we are nowhere near good enough....and we are not going all in mortgaging the future for a short window. develop draft picks and add FA as needed as we develop kids. we want a 10 year window once kids are ready.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2017, 11:18:00 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
Things we shouldn't do:

1) "Blow it up";

2) "Run it back";

3) "Go All In"

Definitely this.
I agree.  And that team probably doesn't compete for a title next season if GS and Cleveland come back with essentially the same teams.  That's why the all in option doesn't work.

« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2017, 11:21:01 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm out. This board sucks.  Have fun talking nonsense for another several years. Maybe you will get it right for once.

Peace out, brah.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2017, 11:31:44 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
And just like that Walker vanished into the night again
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2017, 11:43:21 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
One thing to add to this conversation about going after Butler... It's a mistake to go after a "Lebron stopper" type, and not just because you still have to beat the Warriors the next 2-3 years. It's that, as the ECF that just ended reminded us, that supposed Lebron stopper will just get caught up in a pick-and-roll, and someone else will need to take Lebron on that possession.

It's not about one guy to match up with some other guy. The way to win given the current NBA style is to have competent, versatile players that can do lots of thing well at all positions.

Either that, or get Lebron plus win the lottery three more times in four years. That's a good strategy too.

This is exactly the type of team we are building.  ;)

I really think Butler is over rated,not that he isn't an all star level player but that he is not an over the top all star player.  I actually think that both PG13 and Hayward are better all around players.  There is a lot of Jimmy Butler hype but remember we had the chance to trade for him three times now, the last two trade deadlines and the last draft. 

So many people were ready to do that draft day deal, 2016 #3, 2017 #? and 2 of Bradley, Smart, Crowder.  Analysts said we should have done it, but Danny held fast.  We heard of the offers at this trade deadline that wanted both remaining Brooklyn picks or one Brooklyn and JB plus 2 of Bradley, Smart, Crowder. Again Danny held fast. 

You trade a potential top 4 pick before the draft lottery because there is a 75% chance its not number 1, you don't make the trade out of the hope that you get lucky and despite a 25% chance you get the number 1 pick and can draft the player that you already think is going to be you franchise player, the corner stone of the team for the next decade.  Last trade deadline I believe that was the hope for Simmons.  At the draft Danny valued the combination of JB's potential, + Bradley, Smart, & Crowder over Buttler and one of Bradley, Smart, or Crowder.  I believe that Brown is already proving Danny made the right call.  I believe at this trade deadline Danny held out hoping for Fultz.  I believe that Danny still valued the potential top 4 pick and two of Bradley, Smart, Crowder over Butler as JB wouldn't go top 4 in this draft, but I think if PG13 hadn't talked up the lakers he would have made the move for PG13, as there was a 75% chance of no Fultz.  Like Simmons the year before, Fultz is head and shoulders above the rest of the pack.   

Now the pick is #1.  Sure Danny is playing it coy but Wyc Grousbeck all but assured the pick isn't going to be traded except in the most extreme of god father offers, and the Butler and PG13 offers we already rejected to keep a 25% chance at getting the #1 pick are not going to come close now that its #1. While at the same time we still have to give up additional assets in players in order to make the money work and no teams taking Amirs 12 million and Zeller's 8 million to match salary with a legit max player they are wanting the Bradley + Crowder salaries and even thats not enough to match contracts.  We'd need to give up even more of our team.   

I believe that we are already all in for the long haul and yeah the team will change but that will come through the draft, FA, and only minor trades. 

1. Draft Fultz
2. Release Amir & Zeller but keep one of JJ or KO
3. Go for FA plan A Hayward/ FA plan B Griffin
4. Trade one of Smart, Bradley, IT before the season.
5. Make a trade deadline trade of one of the two remaining of Smart, Bradley, IT
6. Draft one of Michael Porter, Mohamed Bamba, DeAndre Ayton
7. sign the one remaining of Smart, Bradley, IT
8. Use the Clippers and Grizzlies 2019 pics to round out our dynasty team roster.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 11:48:35 AM by OldSchoolDude »

« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2017, 12:00:01 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
And just like that Walker vanished into the night again

lol
I'm out. This board sucks.  Have fun talking nonsense for another several years. Maybe you will get it right for once.

Peace out, brah.

lol
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2017, 12:16:34 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
After getting a first hand look at the gap between us and a contender, we are two in-prime stars away. Are we picking that up this summer is the question. If if so, our vets are important to keep and play with them.

But let's be real, we need another Summer 2007. But I doubt we find two teams blowing it up at the same time like we did then. That's a good CB topic:  what 2 teams need to CTRL+ALT+DELETE?  Because I don't give much to get one star who can make us go 5 moderately competitive games with Cleveland. In that case, I'm just pumping up the young bucks to get ready for 3-4 years from now when LBJ fades a bit.

I don't see going all-in to contend next year. It would take BOTH Davis AND George, without giving upIT or Bradley. And I'm still not sold on IT starting deep into the playoffs.

Color me surprised if DA performs an encore of his 2007 performance. We end up trying to be a good team/winning culture within which the talented younglings can develop.

« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2017, 01:59:27 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
After getting a first hand look at the gap between us and a contender, we are two in-prime stars away. Are we picking that up this summer is the question. If if so, our vets are important to keep and play with them.

But let's be real, we need another Summer 2007. But I doubt we find two teams blowing it up at the same time like we did then. That's a good CB topic:  what 2 teams need to CTRL+ALT+DELETE?  Because I don't give much to get one star who can make us go 5 moderately competitive games with Cleveland. In that case, I'm just pumping up the young bucks to get ready for 3-4 years from now when LBJ fades a bit.

I don't see going all-in to contend next year. It would take BOTH Davis AND George, without giving upIT or Bradley. And I'm still not sold on IT starting deep into the playoffs.

Color me surprised if DA performs an encore of his 2007 performance. We end up trying to be a good team/winning culture within which the talented younglings can develop.

that will be the plan. of no fault of DA he saw his last 5 year window only yield one title when it easily could have had 2 or 3 or GOD forbid 4. injuries derailed 2009 and 2011, doc rivers cost us 2010 and while we made a great run in 2012 we knew that was the last one with that bunch if we could not make the finals. DA this time wants a 10 year window in case we have freakish injuries again etc again. 10 year window allows us to win multiple titles.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2017, 02:27:04 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
A much better "All-in"

1. Keep #1 pick. Fultz is going to be the most versatile guard on the team.
2. Keep IT. Now with his injury, his trade value decreases. Unless we get blown away with a top-5 pick in return, which I don't see happening.
3. Sign Hayward.
4. With all of those moves in place, we then trade Bradley, Crowder, Brooklyn 2018 for Jimmy Butler. It should be more than enough to get the ball rolling. The Bulls are seeing the leverage that getting #1 is giving us. They will trade Butler, and try to tank for two top-5 2018 picks, and try to start legitimately competing/rebuilding in 2019.
5. Re-sign KO if we can, or a rebounding, post-oriented guy like Zach Randolph or Bogut. We need someone else besides Zizic to have a solid big rotation.

Starting five is amazing with: IT/Butler/Hayward/Horford/Zizic (I think he wins the starting job)

Rotational guys: Fultz, Smart, Brown, Yabu, Rozier, 2nd big

Still need some more size in the front-court, but there would be room on the bench letting Jerbeko, Zeller go, and also trading Bradley/Crowder