Author Topic: Going all in  (Read 8876 times)

Going all in
« on: May 26, 2017, 12:49:47 AM »

Offline CF0022

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 3
IT is out and I don't think we get his value in a trade.  Trade Fultz and Crowder for Butler. Sign Hayward.  Start Smart or Rozier at pg to start the season. Bring AB off the bench and turn him into MAnu.  Keep Jaylen.

Starters

Smart/Rozier
Butler/Bradley
Hayward/Jaylen
Kelly/Yab
Horford/Zizic

Keep IT over Fultz and start him when he comes back. Keep the 18 pick to add another big man to develop behind Horford.

Re: Going all in
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 12:55:03 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Smart / Butler / Hayward / Horford wouldnt' be much more effective offensively than our current team.

Keep IT, draft Fultz, see about signing Hayward or maybe trading for somebody with some scoring ability and creativity on the wing.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 12:58:19 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Things we shouldn't do:

1) "Blow it up";

2) "Run it back";

3) "Go All In"

Draft and keep Fultz, keep IT, Horford and Jaylen, sign Hayward.  If those things happen, I expect I'll be happy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 01:04:17 AM »

Offline CF0022

• Brad Stevens
I agree trading fultz has some risk. That's as far as "all in" I'd consider right now though. No way I'm trading our entire team for paul george. Or Butler for that matter without Hayward here first.

I know Fultz has a chance to be really good but he is somewhat redundant with IT here.  Plus I feel like Bradley could play that role off the bench if we get a better sg ala Butler.

Having IT, Butler, Hayward, Horford while also keeping Smart, Rozier, Jaylen and Kelly and moving Bradley to the bench is enticing to me right this second.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 01:05:44 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Fultz has no risk. Risk is trading the boat for 2 years of Jimmy "never won anything" butler

You don't trade a John wall on a $5 mill contract. You just don't do it

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 01:07:36 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Simple answer to your plan.  No.

Two word answer to your plan.  HELL NO!

Fortune Cookie answer to your plan.  Shortsightedness is the quick path to a fool's ending.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 01:08:18 AM »

Offline CF0022

• Brad Stevens
I realize he's valuable.  I have some questions about a 20 year old kid being able to take down lebron or just waiting till he's good and the rest of our team falls by the wayside waiting for him to develop though.  I think with a good enough team around him he could develop and be a piece though.

We have these picks and players now and are on the cusp.  Could fultz be that missing piece? Sure but I'm not 100 percent sold.  Having Butler might be better.

Butler is still young.  So is hayward where they should have a good window.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 01:11:13 AM »

Offline CF0022

• Brad Stevens
I Don't want to be the guy who trades away the number 1 pick though.  My thinking if we have this and the 18 to add to it though and IT coming back healthy....

If after workouts and everything adn if I saw that fultz isn't an absolute stud in the making I wouldn't hesistate to make this move though.

Butler is proven and an allstar all nba talent.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:18:04 AM by CF0022 »

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 01:12:28 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
I realize he's valuable.  I have some questions about a 20 year old kid being able to take down lebron or just waiting till he's good and the rest of our team falls by the wayside waiting for him to develop though.  I think with a good enough team around him he could develop and be a piece though.

We have these picks and players now and are on the cusp.  Could fultz be that missing piece? Sure but I'm not 100 percent sold.  Having Butler might be better.

Nobody takes down Lebron James.

The question is - who even has a shot to beat the Cavs during Lebron's window except for the Superteam GS Warriors?

Some other stats for you to chew on for past #1 pick guards:
Year 1 Derrick Rose 16.8 ppg
Year 2 Derrick Rose 20.8 ppg

Year 1 Kyrie Irving 18.5 ppg
Year 2 Kyrie Irving 22.5 ppg

Year 1 Markell Fultz ?? ppg
Year 2 Markell Fultz ?? ppg

You do the math.

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 01:18:57 AM »

Offline CF0022

• Brad Stevens
Fultz would have to be an absolute stud in the making to not make this move though. It goes both ways.  Butler may be limited in some regards but he is an allstar all nba player.  Unless Fultz is lebron......

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 01:23:43 AM »

Offline CF0022

• Brad Stevens
Or least Lebron's kryptonite in some way.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 01:23:57 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
Fultz would have to be an absolute stud in the making to not make this move though. It goes both ways.  Butler may be limited in some regards but he is an allstar all nba player.  Unless Fultz is lebron......

Fultz isn't Lebron.  Nobody is.  Completely different position.

But you're not going to convince me that Butler will come in and lock down Lebron.
And trading for Paul George would be foolish because he could just bolt for the Lakers in a year's time.

I'm saying look at the guard comps - Derrick Rose, Kyrie Irving, John Wall, etc.  Any guard taken at #1 overall in the NBA in the past 10-15 years has turned out to be a STUD.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 01:26:48 AM »

Offline CF0022

• Brad Stevens
But that's kind of the point.  The point is to put together a team that can beat him.  Bird wasn't necessarily Jordan either. Different players. I think they were pretty close and jordan was somewhat overrated.  But the goal is to have  5-10 guys that can beat their 5-10 guys.

Bird vs Jordan is a bad example though because i think they were closer than that. Bird couldnt jump but was bigger, a more creative passer and a better shooter than jordan. just as competitive as well if not moreso.

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 01:28:33 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Nobody takes down Lebron James.

The question is - who even has a shot to beat the Cavs during Lebron's window except for the Superteam GS Warriors?

Some other stats for you to chew on for past #1 pick guards:
Year 1 Derrick Rose 16.8 ppg
Year 2 Derrick Rose 20.8 ppg

Year 1 Kyrie Irving 18.5 ppg
Year 2 Kyrie Irving 22.5 ppg

Year 1 Markell Fultz ?? ppg
Year 2 Markell Fultz ?? ppg

You do the math.
The team has already "fell off the wayside" dude. We signed Horford to entice Durant....didn't happen. We couldn't even get away with playing Al at the 4 bc he can't run out and defend stretch 4's and does not have the legs to move with them. He's not the player I thought he would be in the playoffs against the Cavs.

Even with a healthy IT we still would have gotten crushed, maybe even worse. Adding Hayward is not going to get us over the Cavs....like you said.

IT/AB/Smart could all walk next summer and all will be wanting expensive contracts. It is suicida; to pay them, especially with Fultz and Jaylen, so we should trade them this summer to get most value and not risk letting them walk.

IMO DA will make the smart choice and take this team in a new direction. Personally, I woulld be looking to trade the entire starting lineup and get max value for them. Horford bothers me, if he falls off next season or anything happens then we get stuck with that contract.

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 01:29:51 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Things we shouldn't do:

1) "Blow it up";

2) "Run it back";

3) "Go All In"

Draft and keep Fultz, keep IT, Horford and Jaylen, sign Hayward.  If those things happen, I expect I'll be happy.
Thank you Roy. Always saying what I would, in a far more eloquent manner.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)