Author Topic: What's the lowest pick you ​would accept for IT  (Read 17804 times)

Re: What's the lowest pick you ​would accept for IT
« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2017, 02:43:11 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
can you at least acknowledge that it has a substantial negative impact on our chances to sign Hayward?
Yes, of course. Don't know if it's a substantial impact, but it's a negative impact nonetheless.

That being said, I believe Danny-CBS have already talked with Hayward and they have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen in free agency. Perhaps, that's why Danny decided to pass on Boogie at the deadline.

one pick + one prospect for Boogie < Hayward in free agency (??). Had we traded for Boogie, we wouldn't have cap space for Hayward.

Being honest with him is great, but its not really what you wrote. If you trade Thomas you dont want to build around Hayward, or make him the franchise guy. You want to use Hayward as a crutch to keep the Boston Celtics in the playoffs while we build our real contender to take off in 4 years.
Not necessarily. Fultz/Brown could challenge him down the road, but Hayward would definitely be our go-to guy for the foreseeable future. We already have an experienced core of vets in Horford-Bradley-Crowder. It's not like we would stop trying to win now because we would only care about the future.
You don't trade your all-NBA point guard if you are trying to win now.

Also I'm less confident in our ability to sign Hayward than you are.
Agreed. You do trade him though if you believe you can't move the needle past Cleveland/Golden State.

« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2017, 02:56:30 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
can you at least acknowledge that it has a substantial negative impact on our chances to sign Hayward?
Yes, of course. Don't know if it's a substantial impact, but it's a negative impact nonetheless.

That being said, I believe Danny-CBS have already talked with Hayward and they have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen in free agency. Perhaps, that's why Danny decided to pass on Boogie at the deadline.

one pick + one prospect for Boogie < Hayward in free agency (??). Had we traded for Boogie, we wouldn't have cap space for Hayward.

Being honest with him is great, but its not really what you wrote. If you trade Thomas you dont want to build around Hayward, or make him the franchise guy. You want to use Hayward as a crutch to keep the Boston Celtics in the playoffs while we build our real contender to take off in 4 years.
Not necessarily. Fultz/Brown could challenge him down the road, but Hayward would definitely be our go-to guy for the foreseeable future. We already have an experienced core of vets in Horford-Bradley-Crowder. It's not like we would stop trying to win now because we would only care about the future.

Agreed. You do trade him though if you believe you can't move the needle past Cleveland/Golden State.

What do you hope to get in return for Horford? Bradley?

If you're going by that logic, everyone must go.  And 27 other teams should be doing the exact same thing.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2017, 03:15:08 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

What do you hope to get in return for Horford? Bradley?

If you're going by that logic, everyone must go.  And 27 other teams should be doing the exact same thing.
Never said we should trade Horford/Bradley and just play the rookies.

The way I see it, no matter what we do we cannot beat the Cavs/Warriors. IT is gonna ask for the max next year. All it takes is one desperate GM to offer him crazy money and we 'll lose him for nothing. Do we wanna pay IT big money? If we do, then we should keep him. If we don't, now is the time to trade him.

Same thing can be said about Bradley/Smart. If we don't plan to pay them, now is the time to trade them. Can't keep all 3 of them. Personally speaking, I would resign Bradley-Smart and trade IT. That's all I am saying.

« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2017, 03:17:29 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
trading Thomas = No Hayward

not rocket science

« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2017, 03:24:23 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
trading Thomas = No Hayward

not rocket science
That's just your opinion mate.

1) Easier path to the finals (at least to the conference finals)
2) Bigger market -> more money for Hayward from endorsements / commercial opportunities ( all things considered, it's highly likely he makes more money here than in Utah)
3) The Butler connection

keeping Thomas while not willing to pay him = we lose him for nothing

Not rocket science either.