Author Topic: What's the lowest pick you ​would accept for IT  (Read 17775 times)

Re: What's the lowest pick you ​would accept for IT
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2017, 12:09:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It truly amazes me that some fans want to go into next year with 6+ rookies:

Fultz
Draft pick for IT
Zizic
Yabu
Nader

Some of these same people think Hayward would leave a 50 win Utah team to play with the aforementioned rookies, minus IT, KO, and every other veteran the team can jettison.

If Hayward wants to play on the East Coast while leading a bunch of young guys who aren't ready yet, he'll go to Philly. At least they're finally trying to move forward, rather than tearing down (a path that I think that all of Danny, Brad and Wyc would be skeptical of).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2017, 12:12:27 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Fultz
Draft pick for IT
Zizic
Yabu
Nader

Some of these same people think Hayward would leave a 50 win Utah team to play with the aforementioned rookies, minus IT, KO, and every other veteran the team can jettison.

If Hayward wants to play on the East Coast while leading a bunch of young guys who aren't ready yet, he'll go to Philly. At least they're finally trying to move forward, rather than tearing down (a path that I think that all of Danny, Brad and Wyc would be skeptical of).

Thank you.  Talking sense.

« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

If we traded IT I would expect something along​ the lines of the Rondo deal.  A decent draft pick and a player that we probably aren't too familiar with (like Crowder at the time) who Ainge and company see a lot of value in.

Still looks like a step back to me.

It's great the way Crowder has turned into a critical piece of the puzzle, but the Celtics now need a star, and shouldn't give up a star like Thomas unless getting back a better star.
Of course it's a step back. If we can't move the needle past Cleveland/Golden State we might as well take a step back, don't you think?

« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2017, 12:20:43 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

If we traded IT I would expect something along​ the lines of the Rondo deal.  A decent draft pick and a player that we probably aren't too familiar with (like Crowder at the time) who Ainge and company see a lot of value in.

It's great the way Crowder has turned into a critical piece of the puzzle, but the Celtics now need a star, and shouldn't give up a star like Thomas unless getting back a better star.
Of course it's a step back. If we can't move the needle past Cleveland/Golden State we might as well take a step back, don't you think?

TP. What about trading IT for Isaiah Canaan? Could maybe get a pick too.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Fultz
Draft pick for IT
Zizic
Yabu
Nader

Fultz - Smart
Bradley - Brown
Hayward - Crowder
Saric/Isaac - room exception
Horford - Zizic

That's 2 or 3 rookies using a 10-man rotation.

Anyway, why would Hayward sign with the C's is what you are asking? Off the top of my head :

1) Easier path to the finals (at least to the conference finals)
2) Bigger market -> more money for him from endorsements / commercial opportunities ( all things considered, it's highly likely he makes more money here than in Utah)
3) The Butler connection

Sound fair enough?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:50:19 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2017, 12:26:46 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
This is bizarro world right. Lets trade the only offensive threat on our team for a draft pick and a bucket of beans. He only almost averaged 30 ppg this year, saved us time and time again in games where we couldn't hit the side of a barn, played through immense emotional trauma when most would have disappeared for weeks in a room with a bottle of vodka, and even attempted playing through injuries. If everyone cannot recognize IT is a true Celtics star, then I am at a loss for words on a rebuttal to you.

Why would we move our team to lottery next year with a move like this? So we can wait another 3-5 years to get back to the 7th or 8th seed? We can compete now and build for a dynasty later at the same time.

Please stop the trade IT threads. He is not 35 years old and we are not dealing with the Nets and Mr. King.

« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2017, 12:34:35 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179

I agree.  I can't imagine any Thomas trade being viewed as a positive in terms of the return.  I think this would.only happen if Danny decided he didn't want to pay IT the max.

« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
You're like a broken record dude.  You don't know when to give up.  It's stupid to even mention IT's salary of 6m per year like it's a negative because it's not.  Where else in the NBA do you get 29ppg of production for 6 million dollars?  His contract is the biggest bargain in the NBA right now!

Have fun making your NBA 2k17 trades in your head.  Because that's the way it's going to stay.  Danny Ainge himself came out and said that he wants IT to remain a Celtic.  And that it's nonsense to think of him not being one.

"All I know is that he's had an amazing year, and who doesn't want Isaiah Thomas on their team? Like, you've got to be kidding me."
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/danny-ainge-makes-one-thing-clear-about-celtics-future-we-want-to-keep-isaiah/

IT is on the books for $6,261,394 next season. If we trade him for 2 players (one player + one draft pick), we won't have enough cap space available to go after Hayward. The way I see it, if we trade IT it's gonna be either for a lotto pick or for a young prospect, not both. Unless of course we are ready to part ways with more than one piece like for instance

trade IT + renounce Kelly + trade Rozier for future pick(s)/salary relief
or
trade IT + trade one of Bradley/Crowder/Smart

« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2017, 06:20:18 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
You're like a broken record dude.  You don't know when to give up.  It's stupid to even mention IT's salary of 6m per year like it's a negative because it's not.  Where else in the NBA do you get 29ppg of production for 6 million dollars?  His contract is the biggest bargain in the NBA right now!

Have fun making your NBA 2k17 trades in your head.  Because that's the way it's going to stay.  Danny Ainge himself came out and said that he wants IT to remain a Celtic.  And that it's nonsense to think of him not being one.

"All I know is that he's had an amazing year, and who doesn't want Isaiah Thomas on their team? Like, you've got to be kidding me."
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/danny-ainge-makes-one-thing-clear-about-celtics-future-we-want-to-keep-isaiah/

IT is on the books for $6,261,394 next season. If we trade him for 2 players (one player + one draft pick), we won't have enough cap space available to go after Hayward. The way I see it, if we trade IT it's gonna be either for a lotto pick or for a young prospect, not both. Unless of course we are ready to part ways with more than one piece like for instance

or
My point was that if we trade him for 2 players we won't have enough cap space to go after Hayward.

Never implied anything about his contract.

« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2017, 06:48:05 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

or
My point was that if we trade him for 2 players we won't have enough cap space to go after Hayward.

Do you believe we still have a good chance of signing Hayward without Isaiah Thomas on the roster?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2017, 06:49:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2017, 06:56:37 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2017, 07:24:44 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

or

In your scenario, what is the pitch to Hayward?

"After we dump IT, we may be really good in 4 years or so.  Actually, right around the time your new contract ends... Oh the irony, Gordy!  So, whaddaya say big guy?"
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2017, 08:19:01 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Do you believe we still have a good chance of signing Hayward without Isaiah Thomas on the roster?

In your scenario, what is the pitch to Hayward?

"After we dump IT, we may be really good in 4 years or so.  Actually, right around the time your new contract ends... Oh the irony, Gordy!  So, whaddaya say big guy?"

I believe Hayward is smart enough to realize that no matter where he signs this summer, his team won't be able to compete with the Cavs/Warriors. The C's offer him the best possible chance to make a deep play off run (all the way to the ECF). At the same time, New England is a bigger market than Utah. The Jazz can entice him with a bigger contract, but if he signs here he is gonna get more endorsement deals / commercial opportunities. All things considered, it's highly likely he 'll make more money here than in Utah. Obviously, there is the Butler connection as well. I've read a story that his whole family wanted him to commit to Purdue and he chose Butler just because he loved the way Brad Stevens recruited him. I guess things like that matter, but on the other hand no one really knows...

@Ilikesports17
So to answer your question, yes I believe we do.

« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2017, 11:04:23 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Hello everybody,

this is my first post and I have to say that I'm absolutely thrilled to join this community. I'm a Celtics fan for about 2 years now.

In Holland, we rarely get to see any basketball on television, so I naturally as a sports fanatic was more familiar with football (I'll never say soccer), cycling, ice skating and such. But about 5/6 years ago, NBA basketball became an interest. I enjoyed to see the NBA finals with the San Antonio Spurs and more and more I invested my (often night) time in watching and learning the NBA. 

I wanted to support a team to make it even more interesting, but what team did I have to choose? No dad that taught me as of childhood (partly why I support Ajax  :D) what team is the greatest team on earth. No roots with any city in the US.

Easy to pick one of the best teams in the NBA. I disliked the stars of Miami (and later Cleveland) or the LA Clippers, so that weren't options. I liked watching the Spurs, but I didn't have any feelings about their results. So I watched basically any team if I had time to spare. 

In general I like teams (like in football, Ajax) that play daring offensively with guts and sportmanship. Basketball is a strange sport in that sense as you can't choose to defend or attack, as it is always both. You can only choose to focus on being great on one end. But in 2015 there was a team that jumped in the eye that actually did play offense all the time in some way.

It was the Boston Celtics. They attacked even when they we're defending! I loved how players like Smart, Crowder and Bradley constantly harassed their opponents. So I began to watch Boston more and more. Friends who knew a bit about basketball found that odd (the Celtics are a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. team!), and they did loose a lot. Always fighting, playing with their heart, never giving up, but in the end often it wasn't enough. But I didn't mind! Boston had no stars and we're unlikely to achieve anything (at best making a low play-off spot) anytime soon, but I enjoyed watching their games and I got fully engaged with the team. I had become a Celtics fan!

It is two years later now and I have (intensely) watched almost every game they played since then. Strangely enough they achieved a lot in this period. From a questionable play-off team they became a conference finalist. They have stars now with Thomas, Horford and even Bradley to an extent. They almost acquired a NBA superstar in Durant (I really thought that after the news that Horford chose the Celtics, Durant would follow  :( ). And they have an even better future with the talent that is incoming with Fultz (!!!), Brooklyn pick '18, Zizic and Brown (Ainge did great).

Of course I don't have to tell you guys this. I just want to explain how I got to be a Celtics fan and hope you will accept me on this forum. I really don't want to be seen as a bandwagon-fan  ;D . I have been reading this forum for about two years and I learned a lot. There are very interesting discussions going on and the complexity of the NBA (no buying only trade, salarycaps, roster limits, drafts) makes up for a great variety of views on this franchise.

For example this discussion of a potential move of Isaiah Thomas. Which I think is very very very complicated, because it would be so personal to Thomas after all that has occurred. But though it seems offensive to some people I think it has to be discussed. Because what would you do if the Knicks made (an unlikely, just for the sake of argument) an offer of Porzingis for Thomas + some minor assets?

At some point you would have to pull the trigger right? Since we are not a championship team yet. To get to the question of this topic title, does it really matter which pick you get if it means the same player? With the 3rd pick I would take Jonathan Isaac no matter what (after we would have taken Fultz with the 1st), but he might be available until the 8th pick as well. 

My first post has been a long one. I'll try to be less wordy from now one  ;). And now I have to try to figure out this system of Tommy Points  ;D.