Author Topic: Brad Stevens appreciation thread  (Read 3586 times)

Re: Brad Stevens appreciation thread
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 12:23:47 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Glad to see something like this after reading that "Embarrassment" thread. TP.

Would rather nobody coaching the Celts but Brad (and Pop  ;) )

Some people are just plain haters. Has been a hater from the get go and is now just jumping at every chance to bash Stevens, taking everything out of context.

Nothing you can do if you are facing a team with 3 all-stars and the best player in the league operating at an enormous budget. But people ignore that and just shift blame all around.

They can't appreciate things and just look for things to blame. Disgusted.

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 06:23:42 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
Glad to see something like this after reading that "Embarrassment" thread. TP.

Would rather nobody coaching the Celts but Brad (and Pop  ;) )

Some people are just plain haters. Has been a hater from the get go and is now just jumping at every chance to bash Stevens, taking everything out of context.

Nothing you can do if you are facing a team with 3 all-stars and the best player in the league operating at an enormous budget. But people ignore that and just shift blame all around.

They can't appreciate things and just look for things to blame. Disgusted.

Your brain is taking everything out of context. You just cannot handle your emotions to stay on topic. You take it personal when its not even you im talking about.

People in here seem to really take things personal and then get lost and go on a tirade of there own.

All I said was he coached a lousy ECF, he made no adjustements on defense. HE was terrible in this series.

The team was a clown show, got destroyed at home somehow every game and had no chance.

I have never seen a team in a ECF get dominated like this at home ever in my life.

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 06:39:00 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Great job overall with this team and organization! Give credit where credit is due!
Each series, each game, each practice is more experience! Coaches can't shoot the ball!
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 06:41:56 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
CBS is quite a coach and I am glad the Celtics have him.

Now we can all wait for koz to joinin the admiration.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 01:37:51 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Another season where most of the team improved yet again. That's good coaching.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 01:41:45 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
One of the brightest young minds in the game.  Took a team with a 5'9" star and a bunch of role players to the eastern conference finals.

But I guess fans around here would rather have Tyron Lue or mike brown coaching this team.  Smh.

There's a reasonable position between touting Stevens as a genius and wanting Lue or Brown as the coach. There are plenty of things to like about Stevens, but there are legitimate criticisms too, such as his neverending experiments with rotations and his refusal to put Smart (instead of Bradley) on Irving.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 01:51:12 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I completely admire and respect someone who can be competitive and passionate as hell, yet keep cool with though the ups and downs. Totally impressed. Class act, and great X's and O's. True pro.

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 01:54:35 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I know it didn't work out, but the ATO play call I was most impressed with was the inbounds to KO with 3.8 seconds to go in game 6 vs. Washington (where KO was fouled by Oubre and they inexplicably ran too much time off the clock).  Had that worked, it would've been brilliant!

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 01:55:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
One of the brightest young minds in the game.  Took a team with a 5'9" star and a bunch of role players to the eastern conference finals.

But I guess fans around here would rather have Tyron Lue or mike brown coaching this team.  Smh.

There's a reasonable position between touting Stevens as a genius and wanting Lue or Brown as the coach. There are plenty of things to like about Stevens, but there are legitimate criticisms too, such as his neverending experiments with rotations and his refusal to put Smart (instead of Bradley) on Irving.

TP. The tendency on this blog to dichotomize our players, coaches, etc. into groups of "they're great and near perfect" or "they're terrible and need to go" is overwhelming at times. I've never understood why you can't legitimately criticize Brad without some apologists jumping down your throat. He's a great coach and I wouldn't trade him for pretty much any other coach, but he still has significant flaws and much to work on - in-game adjustments (both offensively and defensively), the art of the timeout to stop runs, getting more consistent effort and intensity every night out of his guys, etc.

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 01:58:58 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

TP. The tendency on this blog to dichotomize our players, coaches, etc. into groups of "they're great and near perfect" or "they're terrible and need to go" is overwhelming at times. I've never understood why you can't legitimately criticize Brad without some apologists jumping down your throat. He's a great coach and I wouldn't trade him for pretty much any other coach, but he still has significant flaws and much to work on - in-game adjustments (both offensively and defensively), the art of the timeout to stop runs, getting more consistent effort and intensity every night out of his guys, etc.

This. Stevens has about as much "potential" as any other current coach (arguably more,) yet that is still potential. This innately implies that he has a lot to learn going forward. Which is true. Brad is amazing at the X's and O's of basketball, but he still needs to work on everything Potter mentioned. It doesn't have to be black and white. He is both very good, and has a lot to learn.
#JKJB

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 02:24:44 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

The point is, Lue and Brown look "great" because they have a great team.  The point is there is only so much you can do as a coach.  Are people crediting the great coaching jobs of Brown and Lue?  No, not that I have seen.  So then how come we want to kill brad.  The point is, this is and always has been a players league.  Coaches absolutely help but the large sample size (i.e., the entire season) is much more informative than a five game stretch.

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 03:02:01 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

This. Stevens has about as much "potential" as any other current coach (arguably more,) yet that is still potential. This innately implies that he has a lot to learn going forward. Which is true. Brad is amazing at the X's and O's of basketball, but he still needs to work on everything Potter mentioned. It doesn't have to be black and white. He is both very good, and has a lot to learn.
If was coaching the Warriors or Cavs, he would have done just as well as their current coaches.  Would he still have things to work on?  More or less than he has now? 

No coach is perfect.  But their role is limited, and every single one of them makes mistakes.  Not as many as people want to blame them for but sure, things could always be done better (or at least differently).  But I'm not judging a coach against perfection, or in a small sample size.  I'm judging him on the big picture against this peers.  By that, BS is pretty dang good.  So I'm not going to moan and whine about everything that does not go well.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 03:08:03 PM by droopdog7 »

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 04:10:26 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I love the boy genius.
He took the Bad News Bears to the ECF.

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 04:25:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The Celtics had six players on their roster age 26 or under play at least 1000 minutes this season.  The Cavs, Spurs, and Warriors had seven combined.

Brad did a great job, and the future is very bright, in no small part because he is the coach.

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 04:32:42 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I love the boy genius.
He took the Bad News Bears to the ECF.

Spot on...Other than the #1 pick next month, Brad is our biggest asset.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.